www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:48 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Hey guys,

Any recommendations on a reputable place to rent a dirt bike/ATV....and where to go ride? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:21 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Your hotel will have brochures on ATV tours. I have never heard, nor had any interest in, renting a dirt bike, but it's probably available somewhere.

One tip: during the rainy season, be careful up in the mountains in Jaco because that orange/reddish-colored clay gets slippery and the ATV slides a lot. I almost found out the hard way as my ATV was sliding towards the edge of the mountain (with me on it :shock: :shock: :shock: ). And bring throw-away clothes and shoes for the ride. That dirt/clay will be embedded in your sneakers and your back and legs will be covered. I didn't and was throwing out good clothes and almost brand new sneakers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:55 pm 

Thanks for the tip Orange! I'll be there in 2 weeks....not sure how rainy it will be, but I am sure there will be some.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:49 am 

If you are in Jaco, AXR rents dirt bikes. Croc's also has some strange looking low-rider kinda motorcyles for rent but I wouldn't want to be on a highway with one. Be very careful, on average one motorcycle rider dies EVERY OTHER DAY here. Like 122 in the first 7 months this year and 150 in 2015.

http://costaricareport.com/2016/08/moto ... aths-soar/

The ATV tour AXR offers is my favorite as well but for sure heed the wise words from Orange.

http://axrjaco.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:31 pm 

Puravidatransport wrote:
If you are in Jaco, AXR rents dirt bikes. Croc's also has some strange looking low-rider kinda motorcyles for rent but I wouldn't want to be on a highway with one. Be very careful, on average one motorcycle rider dies EVERY OTHER DAY here. Like 122 in the first 7 months this year and 150 in 2015.

http://costaricareport.com/2016/08/moto ... aths-soar/

The ATV tour AXR offers is my favorite as well but for sure heed the wise words from Orange.

http://axrjaco.com/

Thanks for the info! If I only have one full day to explore.....any recommendations? Manuel Antonio? Punta Arenas? La Fortuna? Just wondering how much time it takes to get to each location driving.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:18 pm 

blackhawks19 wrote:
If I only have one full day to explore.....any recommendations? Manuel Antonio? Punta Arenas? La Fortuna? Just wondering how much time it takes to get to each location driving.

From Jaco, here are some drive times (one way):
Manuel Antonio - 1 hour to 1.5 hours
Puntarenas - 1 hour to 1.5 hours
La Fortuna - 3.5 to 4 hours

Manuel Antonio would be my recommendation. Great beaches and tons of wildlife plus some great places to eat and neat bars. Puntarenas isn't anything to see...a huge beach with easy swimming but mostly a locals weekend kind of place. I would not recommend trying to go all the way to La Fortuna. That would be 7 hours minimum and on some winding often slippery (rain OR fog) roads.

Some advice, don't trust a GPS system like Google Maps as your guide. On a motorcycle, I wouldn't get off main roads. I had a client who tried a 'short cut' from San Ramon. Well, that road is barely passable in my 4X4 Landcruiser much less a motorcycle. He did not have a good day...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:43 am 

Puravidatransport wrote:
Some advice, don't trust a GPS system like Google Maps as your guide.

Try using Google Maps for the northeast (Limon province). According to Google Maps, Carari district in Pocoi canton - with all it's villages - doesn't exist. Nor is the road to Puerto Lindo on the Rio Colorado (which I don't think is even a barrio) shown.

However the road (at least going north) is well marked after Guápiles.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:08 pm 

Thanks to all for your suggestions and info. It's extremely helpful having experts on the ground to help us navigate.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:56 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Nikita Todo Terreno in Santa ana has ATV and motorcycle rental. The ATVs are 300cc 4x4 that you can take passenger. Motorcycles are late model KTM adventure, 1190 and 1290, I believe. Phone # 8910.3229.