www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:03 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Isra123 wrote:
If the waitress did not know English and you do not know Spanish then any kind of mis-understanding can happen. Hard to conclude that she is dumb, dim witted etc.
If you are going to settle in CR it may be worth your while to make your self understood by the locals by learning Spanish.
Just a thought . :D :D :D

Gringo oriented places (like the SL) hire English speaking staff. If it was a Tico place, obvio one expects to have Spanish speaking staff.

I would have reported it to Manfred. Bar and wait staff everywhere are known to play games and run scams. Costa Rica is no exception.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:19 pm 

:arrow:

Last edited by Netgems on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:39 pm 

From your posts I see you handle the working girls very well, so you must have been so relaxed in the friendly atmosphere of the SL that you did not keep up your usual vigilance. :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:52 pm 

Netgems wrote:
Isra123 wrote:
If the waitress did not know English and you do not know Spanish then any kind of mis-understanding can happen. Hard to conclude that she is dumb, dim witted etc.
If you are going to settle in CR it may be worth your while to make your self understood by the locals by learning Spanish.
Just a thought . :D :D :D

Excellent recommendation and I am working on it. I already speak slow broken Spanish but my comprehension and speaking ability are minimal, in any event, I'm learning and studying.

I consider myself an expert on detecting dimwitted people, but you make a good point.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, many people from 3rd world countries and more and more in the USA in failing schools don't learn well, and while still young, haven't developed proper social skills.

They may not be naturally stupid, but their circumstances have failed them and they appear stupid because they don't know how to handle certain situations. Perhaps this was more the case in this interaction and I labeled her as dim, but she just could not comprehend how to handle this type of problem and froze.

But still, when you detect a customer is not happy and trying to explain yourself, and you can't comprehend what he's saying, get some help, don't just repeatedly point to the check and repeatedly say this is what it is...that's poor judgement in any language.

I believe if a Tico or Tica is going to be working in establishments where they will be mostly interacting with N American clients, they should know at least some minimal conversational English. On the other hand, If I eat at a normal Tico soda, the full responsibility is on me.

Anyway, if you read through my diatribe in detail, you will see the problem wasn't based on a Spanish/English misunderstanding, that was only a part of it.

But nuff said, it was basically just an annoying 5 minutes, I share in the blame for not stating upfront how I wanted the check to go down, I resolved it quickly when I saw my requests were going nowhere, and I learned a lesson now to always ask up front.

Gentlemen,

Remember the fine Bill Murray movie " Lost in Communication"?
My "good friend and customer" Netgems...please see your PM`s for a message I am sending you.

Thanks,
Bill

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No "Sex tourism or travel" promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided any compensation for this hopefully entertaining contribution. Any posts regarding any event or hotel item are just my humble opinions only.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:27 pm 

Last edited by Netgems on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:05 pm 

when you guarantee 10% gratuity regardless and a non tipping culture what do you expect?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:58 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I think we need some clarification on which staff is eligible for the 10% guaranteed gratuity and which staff gets the additional propina that is optional on the final bill. I think we have some mistaken assumptions. Bill, could you clarify this?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:32 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I know her. She wasn’t trying to rip you off and she is not dumb.

I would go with Lost in Translation, and strongly agree that little Spanish goes a long way. Learning English is what we expect from visitors and residents in the US, why would we not expect the same when traveling and living abroad.

I’m surprised your Spanish speaking friend couldn’t have cleared up the confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:57 am 

Jay2ee wrote:
I think we need some clarification on which staff is eligible for the 10% guaranteed gratuity and which staff gets the additional propina that is optional on the final bill. I think we have some mistaken assumptions. Bill, could you clarify this?

Hi Jay2ee,

The 10% added to each check is a Costa Rican mandated addition to the check just as is the 13% sales tax.

The 10% goes to all the service staff in attendance that day.
The optional tip that goes into the tip jar which many of us North Americans do add goes to the serving staff only of that shift.

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No "Sex tourism or travel" promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided any compensation for this hopefully entertaining contribution. Any posts regarding any event or hotel item are just my humble opinions only.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:29 pm 

Well....

I want to say that I was incredibly impressed with Bill (and Manfred) at Sportsmen's Lodge.

He PM'd me and asked if he could call me and discuss the situation, which I agreed to.

So today I was on speakerphone with Bill and Manfred, they both said they pay attention to all complaints, no matter how minor, and are constantly working to always improve and make sure these issues don't recur.

We discussed how the situation came about and I admitted, even though the waitress made a mistake, it was not intentional disrespect and my hot head got the better of me and I chastised her on a trivial matter. I decided next time I come in I want to apologize to her, I can become intimidating rapidly, and sometimes I swat flies with sledgehammers...old habits die hard.

In summation, I see why Sportsmen's is so popular. It's not the bar, the rooms, the location, the food, the atmosphere, all those things contribute, but it's the man in charge, Bill, who took the time to call me and make sure I was happy and that they value my business.

A business is only as good as the man who runs it, and Bill does an outstanding job, I am highly impressed.

Thanks again, Bill, I will always bring my business there, and continue to strongly recommend the place to others as well.

P.S. The fish sandwich is the best in town, hands down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:07 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Thanks Bill,

I thought that is the situation, but wanted to be sure. Working in bars and restaurants put me through college and helped supplement my income early in my career. This is why I always tip generously on the final bill. The servers at Sportmens appreciate this and are always friendly and attentive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:25 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

that is why so many hold the place in such high regard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:56 pm 

Netgems wrote:
All waiters and waitresses should ask how the customers want the check but they don't, usually the new, untrained, stupid or lazy ones.
I have never figured out why people from the US go to another country and complain because things are not done there like they are in the US. More than likely, you have heard "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

As far as the two servers at the SL, I am fairly sure I know both of them. They have worked together there for many years. The taller one is more outgoing than the other one, but both are efficient and do their job well. It is possible the server was confused as to which of you was the CRT member, and calculated the CRT discount, resulting in the difference in the tabs.

You probably should stop considering yourself as an expect in detecting dimwitted people.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:16 am 

Last edited by Netgems on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:48 am 

It’s for that reason SL has such a good rep. Other places have their ups and downs, but SL maintains it’s A+ report card. I have never stayed there but visit often. Now if I could only get that little spinner bartender’s phone number.........

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next