www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:11 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Looking into purchasing a car here, but I didn't bring $20k in cash with me... :lol: Going to need to get the money from a USA bank account.

What's the best/most economical way to do this? Wire, Western Union (etc), ?

I don't have a CR bank account, and haven't found an ATM yet that'll let me take out more thank $200/24h.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:57 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

ive taken only 1000s of dollars in but i've been asked numerous times if i am taking over 10000
that seems to be the magic number
it would seem like you would be able to drive a better deal w cash
if they ask you if you have more than 10k just answer affirmative because they can take it if you lie
but why would you? you're going to buy a car after all
just use a messenger bag
if that makes you nervous to carry that amount then nevermind :lol:
oh wait you are there now and are needing to buy a car right now? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:59 am 

Not a simple question.

1. You need a lawyer to buy a car in Costa Rica (really).
2. You need a bank account unless you transfer the money through the lawyer's account.
3. Be prepared to answer a million questions and be able to prove where the money came from.

This answer is simplistic for brevity. More later.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:29 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I would wire the money directly to the dealership you are buying the car from! Western Union is higher than balls on a GIRAFFE!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:25 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

LAdiablo wrote:
oh wait you are there now and are needing to buy a car right now? :shock:

This, haha. Don't need to buy "right now" but Jan seems to have the best deals.

MM3 wrote:
Not a simple question.

1. You need a lawyer to buy a car in Costa Rica (really).
2. You need a bank account unless you transfer the money through the lawyer's account.
3. Be prepared to answer a million questions and be able to prove where the money came from.

This answer is simplistic for brevity. More later.

Sounds good, thank you. I have a family friend who is helping with the process- IDing the cars, negotiating, getting a mechanic to examine them, and he has a lawyer for the paperwork. I'll ask him about transferring the money through his lawyer (or to the dealership, or even possibly a private party).

Moneygram is ~$200 to transfer $9k... ouch! Assuming WU isn't much better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:38 am 

Follow on.

You need a copy of The Legal Guide to Costa Rica (at least the 6th Edition) by Rodger A. Peterson (US & CR attorney). It's on Amazon but I don't believe there is an e-book.

Page 116 starts the section on cars. Technically it's a notary who drafts the bill of sale but notaries are usually attorneys. For a used vehicle you need a title search in the National Registry. Normally a dealer will do this but trust, but verify.

There is a table showing automobile transfer taxes and fees for a $15,000 car. Total is $807.74(!).

2.5% transfer tax; Natonal Registry fee (0.5%); fiscal stamp; National Archive stamp; Costa Rican Bar Association fee; Agrarian stamp; National Park stamp; notary fee.

Then there is licensing. His example is a 2003 Toyota 4x4 worth ¢12,000,000 ($21k).

Total licensing comes to ¢331,741 ($587). Yes, used cars are stupid expensive here as are new cars.

Mandatory personal injury insurance; Road Safety Commission; Annual Road Tax; Municipal tax; Wildlife Preservation stamp; Law No. 7088 and 13% sales tax.

Then there is the annual registration (marcahamo) which is calculated on the CR value of the car. If the car is worth $20,000 the marcahamo is the highest rate (¢8,320,000 which is taxed at 3% = ¢181,150 or ) plus 3.5% of the amount above ¢8,320,000 (¢2,960,000) - another ¢103,600. That's about another $511 (annually).

Then there is the driver's license. You can drive up to 90 days on a foreign license (then leave and come back just like your visa). CR license. To get one with your "foreign license" you have to be a resident and pass the medical exam.

Annual insurance cost is going to be around a couple of grand US.

This is why people use lawyers to buy a car.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 am 

This is why people RIDE A BUS everywhere in Costa Rica. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:52 am 

Money.

Due to US pressure, CR scrutinizes every thing.

When you wire an amount equivalent to more than $10k in smaller blocks to avoid the $10k reporting threshold it is called 'structuring' and is a crime (in both the US and CR).

Easiest way is to wire the full amount (US bank reports it) to a dollars account in a CR bank, transfer it to a colones account, then pay the seller through a CR bank to CR bank transfer (which the bank can see). If you draw it all out in cash it's a red flag to the CR bank.

You can get a bank account on your passport (Scotiabank for sure).

If you are using a car dealer, you could wire the money from your bank to his (another not-simple topic). You could even do that with your attorney or the seller. But the bank(s) in CR will want to know everything. Origin of the money, purpose, etc. Be prepared to show tax records, etc.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:52 am 

Rac wrote:
This is why people RIDE A BUS everywhere in Costa Rica. :roll:

Truth

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:04 am 

Or drive for Uber.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:53 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Amen to the bus... It's cheap, easy, and reliable! But I'll be doing work here that will require a 4x4 SUV, so the car is a costly necessity!

Thank you for the comprehensive info MM3. Definitely glad I have someone who's handling the entire process (and for a very reasonable fee).

I was told that I couldn't open a CR bank account with a tourist visa. But if Scotiabank will do it, that would make things much easier. Is there a limit on the account balance with a passport bank account?

I also found this website (https://costaricalaw.com/costa-rica-leg ... osta-rica/) detailing some of the required documentation. It's from 2014, does this pretty much still hold true?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:58 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Here is what I know. Although the information is somewhat limited, but based on personal experiences.

tl;dr
Both the amount transferred and the type of account should be considered when transferring money to CR from the US. They can hold your funds until you prove they are legit, which under the best circumstances takes more than a few days, and requires documentation. It is possible for non-residents to open bank accounts in Costa Rica using a passport.

Long version
Wiring money to Costa Rica is mediated by US Drug/Money Laundering Laws, same with physcially carrying down. I believe the the C.R. government is required to report any amounts over $10k coming from the U.S.

I visit Costa Rica several times a year and we regularly transfer large sums of money to cover expenses for our groups. We have a corporation in Costa Rica (S.A.) and a corporate bank account. We have regularly made transfers in excess of $10k limit with no problems for the past 10 years. We have also had transfers held by the bank, with no notice or explanation. It took more than a few days to recover the money, and required several in person visits to the bank by our Tico attorney and lots of documentation. Once satisfied, the bank released the money in full and quickly - but the process was a complete cluster.

In another, unrelated example, we wired funds from a US university to a personal account held by a Tico that we had contracted for services. Again, funds to pay expenses for one of our groups traveling to Costa Rica. The total wire transfer was in excess of the $10k limit, and to release the funds we were required to deliver a letter from the university with a sello (Letterhead or Stamp) and a wet signature, stating the origination of the funds and their intended use in Costa Rica. Again, it took a week and was a complete pain in the a**, but when satisfied the bank released the money. As I said, this was sent to a local Tico contractor, but apparently even local accounts have a monthly threshold for deposits and if that is exceeded then they look closer. This may not be an issue with larger businesses, but is something to be aware of ahead of time.

Also, you can have a personal bank account in Costa Rica as a non-resident. I have two accounts (both in $US) with BCR and opened them over the internet before I arrived using my passport number. The monthly deposit limit on my accounts is $1k and so with two accounts I can deposit $2k per month. I have debit cards for both accounts and can access them on the internet from the states. I believe that it is possible to get a higher monthly limit, but requires additional documentation and a visit to Casa Amarilla or the U.S. Embassy to get pre-approval.

** Edited to fix my laziness

TR

Last edited by TresRios on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:22 pm 

hormigita wrote:
Amen to the bus... It's cheap, easy, and reliable! But I'll be doing work here that will require a 4x4 SUV, so the car is a costly necessity!

Thank you for the comprehensive info MM3. Definitely glad I have someone who's handling the entire process (and for a very reasonable fee).

I was told that I couldn't open a CR bank account with a tourist visa. But if Scotiabank will do it, that would make things much easier. Is there a limit on the account balance with a passport bank account?

I also found this website (https://costaricalaw.com/costa-rica-leg ... osta-rica/) detailing some of the required documentation. It's from 2014, does this pretty much still hold true?

That's the website of the author of the book I mentioned.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:27 pm 

TresRios wrote:
Here is what I know. Although the information is somewhat limited, but based on personal experiences.

tl;dr
Both the amount transferred and the type of account should be considered when transferring money to CR from the US. They can hold your funds until you prove they are legit, which under the best circumstances takes more than a few days, and requires documentation. It is possible for non-residents to open bank accounts in Costa Rica using a passport.

Long version
Wiring money to Costa Rica is mediated by US Drug/Money Laundering Laws, same with physcially carrying down. I believe the the C.R. government is required to report any amounts over $10k coming from the U.S.

I work in Costa Rica several times a year and we regularly transfer large sums of money to cover expenses for our groups. We have a corporation in Costa Rica (S.A.) and a corporate bank account. We have regularly made transfers in excess of $10k limit with no problems for the past 10 years. We have also had transfers held by the bank, with no notice or explanation. It took more than a few days to recover the money, and required several in person visits to the bank by our Tico attorney and lots of documentation. Once satisfied, the bank released the money in full and quickly - but the process was a complete cluster.

In another, unrelated example, we wired funds from a US university to a personal account held by a Tico. Again, funds to pay expenses for one of our groups traveling to Costa Rica. The total wire transfer was $25k, but to avoid the $10k reporting threshold we broke the payment into three separate wire transfers - each less than $10k. The first two arrived with no problems, but they held the third payment. We were required to deliver a letter from the university with a sello (Letterhead or Stamp) and a wet signature, stating the origination of the funds and their intended use in Costa Rica. Again, it took a week and was a complete pain in the a**, but when satisfied the bank released the money. Apparently, local accounts have a monthly threshold for deposits and if that is exceeded then they look closer. So, even though none of the individual wire transfers exceed the $10k amount, the total transferred in less than one month triggered a review.

Also, you can have a personal bank account in Costa Rica as a non-resident. I have two accounts (both in $US) with BCR and opened them over the internet before I arrived using my passport number. The monthly deposit limit on my accounts is $1k and so with two accounts I can deposit $2k per month. I have debit cards for both accounts and can access them on the internet from the states. I believe that it is possible to get a higher monthly limit, but requires additional documentation and a visit to Casa Amarilla or the U.S. Embassy to get pre-approval.

TR

1. You never "work" in CR unless you are a permanent resident or have a work permit. I look after the owner's interests. You can't legally work unless you permanent resident or have a work permit. .

2. Structuring is a Federal felony. Don't confess on the internet.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:22 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

You will be setting off a few red flags by doing this

Working without the correct visa
Transferring the money to a CR account for the purpose of buying a car while on a tourist visa