www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:13 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

i have a galaxy s, duo core unlocked,GT-S7582L.... it says EDGE/GPRS quatri band, and HSPA tri band, which spec is the one i need to look at. What frequency is needed??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:48 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Firewell wrote:
Not to thread hijack, but since people who seem to know phones are reading this thread...

Has anyone used the AT&T Costa Rica package? The website seems to imply that for about $30 I can buy a bundle of data and minutes for use in Costa Rica during a 30 day period. I've got an iPhone 5C if it matters.

I think the package you are talking about is called the'Passport' package. I signed up for this for my trips to Jaco in Jan & Feb for Granada for $30 each month. It has unlimited text messaging, $1 min phone calls (as opposed to $2.50 i thinkif you are not on the plan) & free 120mb. The only problem I had was that when I was on wi-fi, I would turn cellular data/data roaming to rertreive my emails & get online. Then a few times I would forget to turn it off when I went walking around & a few email messages would download & I eventually exceeded my 120 mb data usage. Oh well, its a pretty good package to have if just going down for a week or so. The plan goes from the end of one month to the begining of the next you may have to pay for 2 months.

CostaReeker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:53 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Kalozdi wrote:
I am not very bright so please forgive the dumb question. I have a Samsung galaxy s3 that is currently locked, I am cancelling my service and they are telling I have to buy an unlock code for $30. Are there cheaper options? they are telling me that I simply land in costa rica and when I put the new sim in the phone it will prompt me for the unlock code and ill be all set. Is it that easy? any tips to pass on?

thanks!

What company was your service with? Did you complete the contract (1 year-2 year)? If you did, they Wireless Provider may have to unlock the phone for you free. It's a new law that Obama signed recently.

This only applies to the big 4 (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile). Below is the link for AT&T, I'm sure the others have a similar setup.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp ... 532&cv=820

More info: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/pho ... -carriers/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:07 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

BashfulDwarf wrote:
As another 'gotcha' ... look up your phone's frequency bands and compare them to the published bands from the carriers. My current phone is 'quad-band' (and works reliably for voice and messaging), but for some reason will not work 'Data Services' with Claro. Since I am not currently there to try a Kolbi card, I can only investigate online. Seems Claro uses a data frequency that isn't one of the 'quad bands' on my phone.

This may just be a Dwarf-issue, but ... caveat emptor!

3G data uses one of the standard 4 bands. 4G data might be different.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html