www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Right to Work
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:03 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Can I work without having a business or being a resident? My hunch is that the answer will be know, since I would also have to leave the country every 3 months for 72 hours not being a resident. Just for clarity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:28 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

ID......Where are you ?? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:46 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

NO. That is the quick answer to your question.

Some options are available but might not be exactly legal. Work permits in CR are not an easy thing to acquire. I am sure others will respond and provide some more info for you.

Really you need to research it for yourself and then ask more specific questions pertaining to your situation. This topic has been covered here and also in every General BB about CR I have come across.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:59 am 

NO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:59 am 
Of course you cannot work legally on a tourist visa in CR. You can own a business but you cannot actually perform any kind of work then either.

But this is CR and thousands of people work illegally here in sports books, call centers, customer service centers, bars, etc.......

The risks are rather large though, if you get caught you may be deported and banned for 5-10 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:59 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

No would be the quick easy answer. from what i've read, my understanding is that it would depend on what your profession is.
if there is a shortage of people who do what you do and/or your profession would be benificial to CR, you could probably get a work permit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:31 am 

No you can not work (legally). Owning the business or working in a management capacity is legal, but you can not just go find a job somewhere and "work".

Besides, even if you did find a job, chances are good that you'd be working illegally, you'd be working for peanuts, and you'd still have to leave the country for 72 hours every 90 days or take the chance of being banned from CR for 10 years. Is it worth it ??? :shock:

Post subject: oh well
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:11 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

you could be a gigolo.. cash only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:19 am 

QUOTE:

"....You could be a gigolo...cash only." :lol:

Now, there's a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:21 am 

The simple answer is NO! You get a tourist visa, valid for 90 days, when you arrive. That visa does not allow you to be employed. That being said there are hundreds of gringos working in CR. Sports books, telemarketing firms, call centers all employ English speakers who have a tourist visa. They are aware of the requirement that the employee must leave for 72 hours every 90 days and work that in to their scheduling.

Other gringos get jobs teaching English. It helps to have some fluency in Spanish to succeed in that line of work. Others work in fields were they can use the internet and their physical location is not important.

If you are employed, not running your own internet business, you will find wages very low. About $5.00 an hour is tops. Telemarketing and some sports book jobs also have a commission payment plan that can allow someone who is skilled in that field make a decent wage.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject: Re: "Just ask Alice"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:43 pm 

Location: Referred to the OIG by Mucho Gusto after mysterious fire at his gay night club.
Greengo wrote:
more likely fleeing the shamefull and public exposure of a long term failed homosexual relationship with a public figure in their community.

Sounds like someone with Paco and Loco in their name. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:33 pm 

Everything above is correct, except that if you have a Permanent Residency cedula you have exactly the same working rights as a Costa Rican citizen. Not that that's worth much. :? :?

Post subject: Re: "Just ask Alice"
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:27 pm 

Greengo wrote:
Many just come on down and fuk up every way possible.(for instant credibility)Publicly bash everything honorable, patriotic and decent about their country(to assure their soon to be "Patron' theyre actually here evading a warrant, to keep from killing an ex wife, or more likely fleeing the shameful and public exposure of a long term failed homosexual relationship with a public figure in their community. :lol: Just remember "being corrupt twisted immature grasping and willing to fuk your friends and countrymen will give you virtually invisiblility and the assurance of great job with benefits amongst the dregs and elite of pairofdice. But if youre honest and caring, theres always cheap pu*sy and the great "weather" :) "This aint no upwardly mobile freeway"Ps......... If France is the asshole of the world, pairofdice is definitely a "hanger" :lol:

The Wanted and UnWanted