www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chubbs (near Del Rey)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:12 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

In 10 years of going down there, I ate at Chubbs for the first time 2 weeks ago. And I ate there again the very next day. I gotta give them props.

For some reason, I have never eaten there over the years. But last trip, my wing and I were looking for some place to eat and it was past 10pm, so we chose Chubbs.

I got the BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich. It was one of the best I ever had, no exaggeration. I like a good BBQ pulled pork sandwich, but it's hard to find in the Northeast. Down south, they are awesome. But I didn't expect to find a good one in CR though. But it was awesome. Not too much sauce to have the pork slide out of the roll, but enough to keep it from being too dry. They add raw onions and pickles which adds a little tang to it. And the roll is not the typical Kaiser roll, but kind of a hero/hoagie/sub type of roll. It's pretty big too. Prive was I think 4300, mas o menos.

We also ordered a dozen wings. They were also very good. But we could not finish them because the sandwiches we got were big and filling.

My wing left the next night and it was late just before 11pm, I got hungry after finishing up with my date, so I ordered the sandwich again and went and picked it up. It was Friday night and it was packed solid. If I wanted to sit and eat, there would be no seats. I didn't know the place is so popular. And it was a lot of Ticos with their women, not too many working girls either.

Definitely looks like the place is a winner.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:26 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I have been eating lunch there the last couple of years. Never a bad meal and the service is like in America.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:25 pm 

I've never eaten there. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try that sandwich on my next visit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:03 pm 

Monday night, myself & two wings (no pun intended) had the 20 wing order & an order of chicken strips! It was awesome & enough to fill all 3 of us up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:51 am 
You guys are late for the party on this one. Been great ever since it opened years and years ago. Packed with ticos almost every night. Opened as a gringo bar but within a year or so got extremely popular among young professional ticos. I believe the key to their success was cheap buckets of beer. Ticos like to party in big groups so this was a perfect fit. They even changed the seating to accommodate large groups. They were among the first in CR to offer the bucket of beer concept.
Food has always been good with large portions. Consistent food also, hard to do in latin america. Good accurate service. They assume separate checks when a couple gringos sit together.
They have opened at two new locations, sabana sur and in escazu.

Dont forget the great happy hour 4 to 6 mon thru thurs.

Bring back the chubb balls please.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:08 pm 

Zman wrote:
You guys are late for the party on this one. Been great ever since it opened years and years ago. Packed with ticos almost every night. Opened as a gringo bar but within a year or so got extremely popular among young professional ticos.

+1
I've always enjoyed Chubbs. I'm a little disappointed that Hazel doesn't work there anymore :(

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:45 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

+1 I also enjoy the food at Chubbs. Its a nice break from the DR.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:57 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Luv the wings there.. Amistad should add that to there menu.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:41 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

The bartender at the Escazu Chubbs is the hottest chick in the bartending business in CR.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:11 pm 

Dragon wrote:
The bartender at the Escazu Chubbs is the hottest chick in the bartending business in CR.

would her name be Daniela? There was an incredible sexy chica workin behind the bar at the gulch Chubbs who transferred to the Escazu location when it opened. I always keep sayin I'm gonna cab it out there to see her but I never do

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:46 am 

SinCity wrote:
Dragon wrote:

would her name be Daniela? There was an incredible sexy chica workin behind the bar at the gulch Chubbs who transferred to the Escazu location when it opened. I always keep sayin I'm gonna cab it out there to see her but I never do

She was married when i knew her at chubbs gulch, what a beautiful woman.

She does smoke ciggies, which turns me off, but i could readily overlook that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:36 am 

Quote:
She does smoke ciggies, which turns me off, but i could readily overlook that.

yeah, prob the same chica. When there was a break in businss she would sit her pretty little culo on the coolers & have a smoke between orders. Anything she did turned me on!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:18 pm 

BashfulDwarf wrote:
I've never eaten there. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try that sandwich on my next visit.

Tube steak! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:00 pm 

Yes, they do have great wings. I think the owner is a Tica. I was in there once with some new "companions" I met next door. We had a bunch of food and drinks and I ran out of cash. They were super cool to trust me to go back to my hotel and bring back cash. It was my first there and they didn't know me so I appreciated it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:06 pm 
Owner is a guy from boston. His smart hardworking tica wife or girlfriend runs it. They are opening another chubbs in santa ana.