www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cafe Mundo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:03 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Altough way outside the Guch in a residential neighborhood, Cafe Mundo was the best retaurant I where I dined. At A9 and Calle 15, up the hill and in a converted house, the food was good and the ambiance excellent. I also recomend Mama's which was on Avienda 1 or 3 just outside the Gulch. Sadly, Mama got no beer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:05 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

what type of food do they serve at cafe mundo ? what were the prices ?

i got the same questions about mama's ?

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:26 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Both were mainly italian but both had seafood and steaks. Mundo was about $15 with a drink and Mama's $8 but no drink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:33 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I just did a search and can't believe no one ever did a real review on Cafe Mundo before. Where is the CRT Gourmet when you really need him? This place has long been on many CRT'ers list of favorite restaurants. It is not all THAT far from the Gulch. I walked there from the Don Carlos (New Fantasy area) only about 3 blocks up the hill to the east, but you'd probably want to take a cab from the heart of the Gulch. The food would best be described as continental. There is beautiful garden dining in the back, although I found our table somewhat uncomfortable. The food and service there were indeed excellent.

Another excellent restaurant in the same area (2 blocks closer to NF) is La Palma, also continental cuisine. The food there is also very good. I have heard complaints about the service, though it was fine when I went there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:19 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Last week I had dinner at Cafe Mondo twice and lunch the week before. Eclectic menu with good service.

Post subject: La Palma
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:08 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

After eight prolonged trips tp S.J. I have found the La Palma Restaurante/Bar excellent for great steaks(imported angus) and seafood. It is located behind the social security building (behind Parque Morazan) next to the Hemingway Inn, In Barrio Amon. Filet mignon (huge) with all the trimmings is about 3500 colones. Drinks are good and strong and reasonable, nice ambience and good service. It is owned by a gringo from Miami who (if you sit at the bar) is not above buying you a drink or two. Bye the way it is on the same street as New Fantasy!

I'm a newbie to this forum but not to C.R. And thanks to all for the great postings.

Buena Suerte

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:37 pm 

The last time I ate at Cafe Mundo about a year ago, I ask for a taxi after dinner. After about 10 minutes the waiter came over and said you taxi is here. I noticed that he was a young tico and his car was new but was not a real taxi. I didn't like the way he looked at me although he was clean. I got in the taxi only because it was recommended by the resturant. Well the driver and my BM date started a rather loud discussion in spanish. She tells me that he doesn't know where the Prez hotel is. WTF. He finally heads back toward downtown and then suddenly makes a quick left. My date sticks her finger in the back of his neck and they are yelling at each other and I am ready to bolt this taxi if it will slowdown. We get stuck in traffic and my BM date and get out and walk. The last time I eat at Cafe Mundo although the food is good but I would wary of the taxis they recfommend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:56 pm 

Cafe Mundo has fresh homemade breads every day. Good pastas and specials. Not the cheapest place in town...but a nice and differenct atmosphere.

Last I knew, La Palma was closed and for sale or rent...unless it reopened for the 4th while I was out of country?

Post subject: La palma
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:38 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

La Palma is closed now, though it is supposed to reopen under new management in the near future. The owner of Hotel Castillo is leasing it out.