www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:37 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Inka Grill Restaurant Review:

I am often not too crazy about any chain restaurant, especially as it pertains to ticos cooking here in San Jose or the surrounding areas. I had the opportunity recently to dine at a recommended establishment by the Admin’s of this board at a place called Inka grill in Escazu. Let me first point out that this is Small Peruvian seafood, grill restaurant, with a menu that is quite different than the famous Machu Pichu down off Paseo Colon. I would call it a very upscale Princessa Marina, with a better quality menu, much nicer ambiance, décor, service and food, without a big price tag. I do not know where the others are located but I’m told there are at least 2 more restaurants in the central valley.

Based on the crowd, eating at tables out in the front of the strip mall, our back in the courtyard or throughout the interior dining area seems this place is no secret to the locals. I am a little shocked it took me this long to find it. Located in a strip mall, with two adjoining restaurants in the back, one an Italian eatery that actually looked quite good and will give it a look next time, and Il Panini, a large wine bar and upscale Tica hunting facility that seems to really get going after 10PM on the weekends. Parking lot full of Top of the line SUV’s, BMW, and other quality vehicles so if you’re looking to find the money in town it is here.

OK Back to Inka Grill, Menu is diverse and quite large. All types of appetizers of various nature, from chickens, to fish, to meats and this are just the appetizer section. We had 4 dishes, a couple of cervices which were just excellent, just as fresh as it gets with just the right amount of lime juice for flavor. We had a stuffed what appeared to be clam shell, but it was stuffed with baby bay shrimp and spinach and cheese baked to a golden brown. YUM! Also had a mixed seafood salad that was top notch as well. Wine list was decent yet not overpriced and drink prices were very reasonable as well.

I am usually leery of menus that are this large and this much selection as how good can the quality be when there are 40 or so items to choose. Wrong on all counts. Every dish was fresh and excellent. 3 Entrees were shared, with 1 Chicken dish, 1 steak with a wonderful peppercorn sauce, a mixed seafood platter over pasta. More than enough food in fact to much too even enjoy desert.

Overall pricing was extremely cheap some where in the area of about $70.00 bucks for 4 of us and that included about 8 drinks, tax & Tip. Went next store for some espresso and Sambuccas at the Italian place and will review that in the coming weeks.

Overall if you’re in the Escazu area give this place a try as it was a fine dining experience without the price tag, with a great atmosphere with an upscale quality feel highly recommended.

Post subject: Another opinion....
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:21 am 

I had lunch with my a friend which included one glass of wine for each of us...two people.... a couple of soft drinks...and the bill was $44 dollars. I think the place is over priced. They have more than one location....the Iscazu location is small, very cramped and the outdoor tables are in the parking lot. Not fun.

The restaraunt behind...referred to in the review...is Tre Fratellie(spelling)...which is one of my favorite restaraunts in CR. It is not expensive...the Salmon(4500 colones or so) is the best I have found in CR...the help is great. The ceaser salad costs about 1700 colones, served with tons of bread, olive oil and the best parmasian cheese in town. You can sit outside or in. It too is a chain....downtown San Francisco has one!

The restaraunt next door is Pannini(spelling)...which someone wrote about in the last couple of days in their trip report. It is as upscale for a coffee place as there is in CR......Sunday afternoon will find an upscale, well dressed crowd. I like it...it appeals to the yuppy in in me.(shave before you go.....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:02 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

4 of us went to Inka Grill last night...my second time in 10 days. The bill with 2 bottles of Syrahs, 4 entres and 3 appetizers...$97. Service was as good as any I have had in 2 yrs in Costa Rica...and has been the same in 4 visits. You just dont get this consistency here in CR. And my "mariscos parmesana" was to kill for...I dont know how these guys do it at those prices...especially in Escazu.

I concur with Pirate Morgan that Il Panini is a great people watching and dessert/wine place. For me the perfect combo...INKA Grill for dinner...walk out the back patio door 2 doors to Panini for dessert and ogling some serious thoroughbred Ticas...

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:29 pm 

I guess I just ordered wrong....but I didn't eat at the Iscazu location...I think I was at Terra Maul....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:35 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I took LVBob and Drillem to the Inka Grill on Thursday night...not too many people. Had another great meal...the boys had steaks...high reviews on all. Bill for the 3 of us...about $50. Great deal. Then after we had a glorius dessert at Il Panino which in the plaza behind the restaurant where we viewed lots of pretty yuppy ladies. Just like South Beach as Gman said when he was there. Go for it guys...