www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:14 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Sunday night I wanted to take my nephew and E and A out to eat at Tony Roma's. Well they closed at 9pm which I hadn't expected. So I took E & A suggestion and we went to the Princesa Marina in Sabana. The place is clean and our waiter was very good and helpful. It's not an upscale tourist place, it's a very good local eatery. I had their shrimp cocktail with alvacado and throughly enjoyed it. Next I had their rock lobster tails (3 to an order), broiled with garlic butter, yumyum, did it again. One of the girls had a steak and the other had the shrimp with rice. Both of their orders were done correctly and the portions were very large. All of the prices were much lower than I expected.

"A" and my nephew had the blackberry juice (morda ??) for dessert. It had a slightly light color to it, could be they added cream to it, but both of them said it was delicious.

I will return there again !!!, it's a great value but it won't impress a snob, unless they're cheap like me :D

Now back to reality, I asked them for their address, what street number, well it's CR. No street number or name the staff told me all the taxi drivers know where they are. Our driver from the the Presidente knew just where to go. It's on a large main street with many other resturants in Sabana.

An excellent place to get full with very good food at a modest price.

Shamas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:36 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I ate there as well. I found the food to be tasty and well prepared. The portions are definitely big and the price is quite reasonable. Although I found the decorum more like "Mel's Diner" silverware was wrapped in a paper napkin ala Denny's.

Overall a nice place to eat and the chicas will enjoy the food. Good cheap alternative to the nicer restaurants but no ambience at this place.

I like things that are built for speed!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:13 pm 
Anyone who goes to Princessa Marina owes it to themself to try the "Pescado Entero" a whole, deep fried fish available either "sin espinas" , bones removed or with the bones. Even boneless this looks like a whole fish on the plate with the head and tail intact. It is absolutely delicious! And big! I never thought I would see a fish that I couldn't eat but I was barely able to finish mine. Less than $10 if I recall. What a deal!

mexpat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:18 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I was there Sunday night also, but probably a little earlier. IMHO it is the best value for the dollar (colon) in Costa Rica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:56 am 

Mexpat,
My nephew noticed the picture of the whole fish and it took him back a bit, first time for him seeing one offered like that. I told him that fish look like that and the triangle shape he's used to isn't natural. He branded me a wiseass, I retored, go back to MickyDs. :D

Part of the location that I left out of my original post, Princesa Marina is locked next to Sabana park. Just around the corner on the way to PM is a German place and just a few doors before PM is a nice Mixican place.

Bon Monger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:45 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

YO Shamas:
Yea.....Princesa Marina, which there are several in SJ, is satisfying and reasonable. I did have the lobster tail.....I stoled one off the plate at the next table while the guy went to the head......survival instincts I guess. Sure as hell beats the price of a $500. meal that goetz.......got billed for. I need to follow that hombre around and catch the change falling out of his pocket. Okay, I'm pitiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:59 am 

Circus,

You've forsaken the dumpster behind the Prez? :shock: What's the world coming to ? :shock: .

Shamas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:51 pm 

YO mi amigo Shamas:
Not only can I not get a room at the Inn but they have banned me from dipping the dumpster. What is a third world coming to? There is no justice. Shit happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:05 pm 

After being liteally dragged here by my roommate Sailfish,it has become my favorite seafood restaurant in CR. The cerviche is wonderful as an appetiser. Mexpat is correct about the whole fish.It is wonderful served without bones. Inexpensive Tico place at great prices.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:39 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Has anyone else noticed the difference between the one in Moravia and the one in Sabana sud?

I thought the selection and the fish was much better in Moravia. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:29 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I noticed the one in Moravia, but did not eat there, because I was passing through. It looks like it is a little newer and larger than the one in Sabana. I really like the one in Sabana. It is also close to Apartotel La Sabana, where I stay, which is a plus for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:21 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

went to princess marina in sabana last night with flander, king costa, myself, willysp, and a newbie and the local tico taxi driver that has lived in san francisco.

had a great meal everybody had lobster tails, i had the fried fish. total bill for six of us came to 25000 colones

definitely worth going to

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:30 am 

I went to both in La Sabana and in Moravia. Food quality is the same but the one in Moravia is larger and alot nicer. On Sundays in Moravia it gets packed, lots of local families, even a girl from the Rey, who I did not see but was told byher later that she saw me there and hid from me because of her Ch*ldren that were with her. A side note: The electric hand dryers in the bathrooms of both these places are made the way they all ought to be. It was like going through the dryers of a carwash. The whole fish is Corvina, one of the best. Great food, great prices.