www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:25 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

anybody know what a Rockhampton Ribeye costs, and is the meat as good as the US meat?

OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE
Plaza Itskatzu
Autopista Prospero Fernandez
Escazu, Costa Rica
Located across from the Price Mart on the Prospero Fernandez Highway.

Telephone: + 506-288-0511
Fax: + 506-228-9910

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:07 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I saw it on my last trip as I was driving to the Multiplaza mall in Escazu. My novia told me that it is a typical gringo place as many Americans live in Escazu. She said it is expensive and not very good.

My dos colones, I think there are pretty good restaurants other than Outback in San Jose. I am sure the prices are like those of the U.S. so no deal there and you can always go to Outback in the states.

But I guess if you are there, why not try the Outback. Here in Florida the Outback waitresses are HOT. So I can only imagine a tica in Outback uniform :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I like things that are built for speed!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:21 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I went to the Outback and it was decent but definitely not as good as the Outbacks in the states by a long shot and is expensive. Some of the menu was a little different but mostly the same, I forget what cut of meat I had but it was nothing special. After dinner it took a while for a cab to come and take me back to San Jose so keep that in mind and have the hostess call you one before you finish dinner so it will be there when you are ready to leave. I sat at the bar and the bartender was excellent, filled my iced tea every time it was half empty and I enjoyed the atmosphere as at the time I was living down there and getting tired of tico joints but I can not really recommend the place from a food/value basis. Better in Escazu to go to Samurai for all you can eat Sushi on tuesday nights for like $25, now that place was good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:05 am 
I've been there a few times as my novia thinks it is the best resatruant in the world. I thought it was pretty comparable to an Outback in the states in terms of quality and price, but I don't go to Outback in the states much. There are certainly much more interesting options in CR than Outback, but for some reason my chica loves it. The bartender is good. On my last trip, I ordered my girl a Long Island Ice Tea and she litterally was stumbling as we walked over to the Courtyard Marriott. All and all, a fun night :D

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:29 am 

To Answer your questoins since I ate their last night, Sorry I did not get the exact price of the Rockhampton steak.... I had a conversation with the Mgr last night and they claim ALL the meat is imported directly from Outback in the states, and its the exact same cut of meat.

If I understand him correctly in the states they cut the meat and package it for each type of steak and send it to them Frozen. Although its the same cuts of meat and the same type, the frozen is what gives off the slightly different flavor per US type outbacks.

Steaks ran about $5.00 more per entree here than I remember in the States, though its been awhile. BLOOMING ONION is a big hit here.

Hope that helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:23 pm 

The different flavor is because the bury it in pepper for local tastes. Just ask for no pepper added. This took me a while to learn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:53 am 

Maybe I just had a bad cut but it did not taste like the steaks at Outback in the states (I go often) but it was not all that bad just not like what I am used to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:55 am 

I wish somebody had posted about the outback a few weeks ago. I was looking for one .. I instead settled on Tony Romas in Escazu. There is also a club across the street from it near the Harley shop called Fandangos that has live music at least on friday and saturday nights. Not a place to pick up women perhaps, but a good place to take a date and have fun.. music starts around ten p.m.
From downtown gulch area Tony Romas is about 1,100 col by the meter.
The mall in Escazu is about 2,000 depending on which path the driver takes. :roll:

_\lIII/_  
   (o o)   
O-~(_)~-OOo----

Post subject: Outback in San Jose
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:03 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I have eaten at the Outback in San Jose near the Multiplaza several times on my last two trips with my novia and it is OK but definitely not the same quality of filet that I get from the ones in Houston. It seems to be cut different, much thinner and not as good a flavor. We usually eat there for lunch on the way to or from shopping at the mall. Have not tried the blooming onion here but the grilled shrimps on the barbie appetizer is comparable to the states. I didn't really notice the prices but it seemed cheaper than in Texas, but that may be because I have usually just loaded up the Diners Club at the mall with miss fashion statement.

Other places we have tried which were really good were El Chicote, excellent food and service, usually lots of gringos there, Chandelliers, continental cuisine a la francais, which has a great atmosphere near the edge of downtown but was a little too sophisticated for my Nica's tastes in food and when we closed it down one night the owner had to give us a ride to where we could find a taxi. Princessa de Mariscos is very good but pick the ones which are newer. We went to the older one I think on the hill going to Romoser and it was so nasty she walked out. In Quepos/Manuel Antonio El Gato Negro is excellent with super atmosphere and service but absurdley expensive. I didn't realize how bad until I got back home and posted to my expense diary. For me, my novia, our driver and the chica we got for him, lobster with all the trimmings and four or five bottles of Souave Bolla it was over five hundred dollars.

On the way to Manuel Antonio there is an excellent seafood restaurant on the right side of the highway just before you get there called Steve and Lisa's. The Pescado Enterro and the ceviche are excellent and the price was good. Also the next restaurant down the road from there just around the curve is very good, I don't remember the name but it is an open air pavillion type.

Enjoy, Pura Vida, can't wait to get back.