All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restaurante El Chicote
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:56 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Restaurante El Chicote
Avenida Las Américas,
400m (1,312 ft.) west of the ICE building,
Sabana Norte, In La Sabana/Paseo Colón

This is San José's premier steakhouse. Well that’s what they say, though I expected a bit more. I guess I am used to American style steakhouses which you will not find in SJO.

The large room is divided up by half-walls planted with a tropical look and the front area is the bar. There are heavy wooden beams and plenty of varnished-wood accents all around. True meat aficionados should order the imported rib eye, or pound-and-a-half T-bone. Though I had the NY Strip and thought it was better than average but costly at $23 US especially for Costa Rica.

There is an extensive selection of fish and poultry dishes, as well. Many in our group tried the fish dishes and we as usual overdid the appetizers.

Everything comes with a choice of baked or mashed potatoes, black beans, and fresh tortillas. The wine list features a broad range of Italian, Spanish, French, and Californian wines. Very high in price for good quality wine, and I thought we had the steal of the year with a 1999 Don Melchor Cabernet reserve at $70.00 This wine goes for about 150 to 175 in a US Restaurant. That was until I was in Duty free on my last exit and it was $28.00 of course I bought the maximum when I went home to the states for a visit.

Waiters wear black jackets, white shirts, and black bow ties, and service is unusually formal for Costa Rica. Deliberate, slow and very good. I did not find the place as formal as I would have thought, but even though it was costly, it was the best tasting steak I had had in Costa Rica to date.

Visa, MasterCard and Amex Accepted. Note Benihana is down the block and local ladies go crazy for the show they put on there.