All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:43 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

L'Ancora Italian Restaurante
De La Iglesia Santa Teresita
500 Metros al este Y 135 al Norte
Barrio Escalante
506-280-5170

For our next stop, we chose another GMAN, TMAN favorite since I live about 20 blocks it does make it easy. L’Ancora Italian Restaurant is directly across the street from Churasco. Enough about the neighborhood. This place is completely open air with two areas. Tables in the bar area and a more formal area down a step off the bar. Probably 20 tables in total. The owner’s wife greets us, and it appears that the entire staff is made up of family members or close friends. We find that the owners are from Sicily.

A full bar is available and drink orders are taken and again menu’s and wine list produced. An extensive wine list made up of Italian reds, & whites. Some real keepers on the menu, but you had to look close to find them, as there were quite a few overpriced items there as well. The top of the line Borolo was way over priced which they had suggested of course, but we choose again a couple of good valued chiantis and 1 white which was excellent. It was the only Gavi Di Gavi on the menu though I do not remember the name.

Prior to ordering the owner, who is the chef came out to introduce himself, and provide us with the specials. There were four of us tonight and we listened as he made everything sound wonderful. We went with his recommendation which was for appetizers a cheese platter with every type of cheese you could think of. Accompanying it was a wide assortment of Italian olives, meets, peppers etc. for a cold antipasto that was outstanding. Cheese variety was all fresh and sharp, but since there was no price on the menu for this array, I was holding my breath at the end for the bill. He also recommended the bruchetta, which was excessively much food along with the antipasto, but would not recommend regardless as the complimentary bread and rolls were more than adequate.

We had four entrees this evening. My wife had the salmon that was outstanding. It was a fresh piece that was covered in a lemon, white wine and butter sauce. It was rich but it was GOOD! I had the veal Parmigiana that was nothing more than adequate. My brother in law had the house specialty, which was enough food for three people. All types of fish, shellfish and other in a tomato based garlic sauce over a bed of linguini. My sister had the pasta special with mushrooms that tasted like it was from the good old USA.

Again, over indulgence on our appetizers and entrees forced us to Sambucca and espresso without desert.

All and all a fine dining experience that would have been one third the price had we scaled down a bit. We could have split the fish extravaganza and no brushcetta was needed. The price for our 4 person antipasto was about $25.00 in total which considering what we received not out of hand.
Service Staff was top notch and the timing of your meal, was dependent of how long you wanted to take.

Definitely recommend.
Reservations do not seem needed except what I am told on the weekend.
Closed Sunday.
All Major Credit cards accepted.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

OK Guys we continue to work hard for you and the faith you have put in us. Announcing begging today February 1st. Restarurant Italiano I'l Ancora located in Barrio Escalante is now offering the

CRT VIP DISCOUNT![/b

I will do formal announcement upon my return to The States as an Impromtu trip to Costa Rica to Crash the GMANS superbowl party was must.

BUT ALL VIP's if you dine I'll Ancora, show your VIP card to the waiter prior to your meal and you will recieve

[b]15% off the Entire CHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has already been reviewed by our CRT Gourmet with directions in that thread in this section which I will bump to the top.

Guys this is great Italian food, from a wonderful staff, in nice romantic bistro setting. YOU CANT GO WRONG HERE.

ONLY STIPULATION as with all our VIP discounts is you must show your VIP CARD NO EXCEPTIONS.

We continue to provide you with services not found anywhere else.