www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:24 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I finally booked after having to cancel a couple years ago last-minute due to dental issues. I am happy to say I will be splitting my time between SL and La Amistad and most likely HDR. I have gone way back in the forums to like 2016 and didn't see this one addressed.

It's not like it will make or break my trip but curious for budgeting purposes. Can someone enlighten me on the cost of drinks in the SL, LA, and HDR? For instance; what's an Imperial Light cost? How about a good old fashioned Budweiser (import)? What about mixed drinks - Vodka/tonic? Margarita? Other?

Also, is it better to get duty free booze when I arrive for my room or should I just go to a local liquor or convenience store? How about those prices?

thanks in advance for the help.

H1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:02 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

La Amistad's (and Castillo's) all inclusive includes beer and well drinks. Call liquor is 50% off.

Budweiser in Costa Rica? Fancy import beer. You can get it but I've never seen it at any of the places you mentioned (but then I've never asked for it). When I was looking for Miller light for a guest it was $2 a can (at ¢500 to $1) in the grocery stores and there wasn't any available.

At LA (or Castillo) a well brand vodka tonic is "all inclusive" - don't know about a margarita as I don't drink them. SL is online with most places - all I ever have there is a Flora de Cana rocks and I couldn't tell you what I paid - and all I ever have at the HDR is an Imperial (¢2000 I think).

Liquor selection in Costa Rica is limited over all. Jim Beam and Jack Daniels are about it for bourbon / Tennessee whiskey. Rye? No. Vodka is pretty much Grey Goose and Absolute (and Nikolai). Tequila isn't big period but Jose Cuervo and Naranja are common. Scotch... phucking Old Pharr and the Johnny Walkers (Red and Black). Some other blends. Single malt? Jajajajaja. Rum is better. Besides the very good Centenaro and Flora de Cana, there is the Bacardis, etc, and Havana Club ( out there but sometimes hard to find).

Duty free you can only bring 9 liters. I bring good bourbon all the time in padded wine wings in checked luggage. Local stores - limited selection & high price. Duty free or from home in checked bag for top shelf.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:07 pm 

Best prices on liquor are at duty free in baggage claim if you like premium liquor or wine. There is a mas x meno close to HDR but your prices are quite a bit higher than duty free. If you are staying at La Amistad get the All inclusive and dont worry about it. Make sure you have your CRT Card at Sportsman for discounts, HDR does not discount shit so don't worry about it there. Make sure you hit Hotel Little Havana (aka Zona2 aka Pension 506) as well on your stops. The beer prices are usually between 1200 and 2000 colones. Do use Colones to pay for your drinks and personally I do not run a tab at HDR ever and rarely at other venues. I prefer to pay as I go that way there is not a surprise when you get ready to leave. Also if buying girls drinks tell them what you are willing to buy them, I always would say beer. If they want a shot ask what kind do they want and make sure it is not going to be an $16.00 shot of Don Julio or something similar.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:55 am 

I will second that......Never run a tab.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:11 pm 

drink the beer and rum thats available to you there
its not like you can find most of that stuff in the states and its cheap down there
i saw centanario 20yr for $60 in total wine the other day!
you can grab that 2/$40 at duty free last i checked
when staying at a place like SL its nice to at least buy a few drinks at the bar
its how the place makes money and everyone knows if you are sitting in your room drinking anyway
the bar staff will appreciate you and it enhances the experience imo
they'll even let you keep your own bottle behind the bar
don't take the cheap charlie thing too far

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:30 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Thank you all for the responses. I have traveled many destinations including, TJ, Panama City, Frankfurt, Shanghai, S. Korea, Vietnam and Angeles City. I definitely learned about not putting stuff on a tab on my very first trip. I always pay as I go.

So it looks like duty free it is...

Cheers!

H1