www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:38 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I know this isnt really the ideal forum to ask this question, as it is not on the subject matter of hit-it-and-quit-it, but I figured you guys might know the answers; and for sure would have some stories...

The subject is Common Law marriage, and/or other financial Tica pitfalls - questions on the rules/laws of engagement. if you were to move in with a tica, what steps might you take to prevent financial damage if it turns out she is playing you

OK well, i'm a single gringo guy, 37. moving to CR in a few weeks, plan to stay a long while to life - who knows... I speak spanish fairly well, i've been to CR many times, lived there when I was a teen, done tons of HW about CR, and on this site, and have gathered a good feel, but i need some solid advice and/or stories on this specific subject.

I've heard (several sources) that common law marriage is 3 years in CR, thats 3 years of cohabitation, not just 'going out for dinner' or whatever. Confirm? Deny? grey areas?

I have also heard that you can get a corporation for your valuable assets (car for example), which protects them from a Tica getting a slice, in case the law gets involved in ANY sense. Confirm/Deny? Grey areas?

Also heard that you CAN get a pre-nup (if you wanted to get married, i sure dont/wont) and that will shield your assets, but the pre-nup is only valid if you show all your assets, which, i'd rather not do.. confirm,deny, grey?

I have even heard of *gringo, likely tico as well* men cohabiting with a Tica, and it falling apart after a year, and the Tica successfully getting a slice of his future earnings and/or pension. Confirm? Deny?

I ask because I really would like to find/have a real, long term, relationship with a Tica, but I also dont want to risk being financially obligated to a Tica that played me for a year or three, and turns around and attempts to milk me for all that she possibly can.... advice?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:36 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Common law can be claimed after three years of living together and acting married. Because rden of prof on the person making claim. Assets acquired during that time are at risk. Assets prior to relationship are safe. Rent a house do not buy the house. Buy a cheap car so no big deal give her half of it becomes a problem. All assets in the states are out of reach. In general you are safe unless you have K*ds together than changes the game a little. When in doubt contact a good lawyer prior to large purchases

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:59 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

It may not answer all of your questions by spend some time and look at the saga of member RollTide, it is worth the read if you want to be involved.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:08 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I thought your post on Gringo Expats on Facebook was "interesting". Thanks for cross-posting.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:09 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I thought your post on Gringo Expats on Facebook was "interesting" SpeedyCorky. Thanks for cross-posting.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:09 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

What's the rush? 37. You sound like a desperate dude. Women can sense that. I think you need to watch out. Don't buy them nothing, don't co-sign for them, don't talk about how much money you have etc.. Enjoy yourself. Your biological clock is NOT ticking.