www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:16 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I was wondering if you guys could help me with planning my trip to CR.. Going down there on 7/7-7/11 by myself. Is it better to buy a ticket then look for a place to stay when I get to SJ? Or should I buy an airfare and hotel package. Coming in from Dallas. I can get a package staying at presidente for about $1200 or I could just get airfare for about $700. I would hate to get down there and not be able to get a room.
Also, do you all think it will suck or be dangerous traveling down there by myself? I have a buddy that might come but he has to fly standby so he may or may not make it at all.

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:56 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

kkn377 wrote:
I was wondering if you guys could help me with planning my trip to CR.. Going down there on 7/7-7/11 by myself. Is it better to buy a ticket then look for a place to stay when I get to SJ? Or should I buy an airfare and hotel package. Coming in from Dallas. I can get a package staying at presidente for about $1200 or I could just get airfare for about $700. I would hate to get down there and not be able to get a room.
Also, do you all think it will suck or be dangerous traveling down there by myself? I have a buddy that might come but he has to fly standby so he may or may not make it at all.

Thanks for the help.
Before you buy a package that includes the El Presidente you should do a search using the term "presidente". That should make your decision on that package an easy one.

Read the board and do a search on hotels and you will find which hotels are chica freindly. Check out the CRT sponsors and buy a VIP membership. You will save the cost just in hotel charges.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:13 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I have been down three times this year and prefer staying at the Sportsmans and have found it best to figure out what room you can live with and work backwards for availability then book the flight to match. I hate moving from room to room. If I want to go to Jaco or elsewhere along the beach or to anywhere else for an overnight I just go a day when its going to be nice and book another cheaproom there for the night keeping the Sportsman room for ease of coming back and not moving my stuff. With the discount its just not worth the hassle. Same can be done with Castillo or LaAmistad or HLH or any of the other well recommended hotels. Presidente would not be on my radar.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:21 pm 

Book separately - and forget the Presidente

Check the board as well as CRT sponsors for good places to stay - and the Presidente is NOT one of them

Re a buddy/wingman - especially for your 1st trip, it can help - but he's not going to know anymore than you....so you need a hotel, like the Sportsmans that attracts like minded people - also, "Pops Tour" (search it on the board) would be a good idea as would joining CRT as a "VIP" - gives you more board acess as well as many discounts on hotels, res't, etc.

Plan on doing a lot of reading - it will seem overwhelming at first, but will then sort of make sense. Ask any questions, but after 7 years w/ the board I can tell you questions are always better answered when the person asking has done some research and reading.

Good luck and welcome to the board :)

PS Don't stay at the Presidente! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:46 pm 

Last edited by Boynton on Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:46 pm 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
As an addendum to Brother Scuba1's excellent post:
Brother Pops' customized tours are not a cost, but an investment. Here's his Website--decide for yourself: http://www.popsguideservice.net/
Next, read thoroughly Brother Orange's classic Thread "Costa Rica for Dummies"
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16357 << don't be put off by the title--rock solid stuff we would all do good to remember

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:06 pm 

Yes, book separately, since the hotel in those package deals from the travel sites will most likely be a place that doesn't allow chica "guests" (not a problem though if you intend to just go to MP's). If you can find a package that includes the Amistad or Dunn Inn, then you're fine, but places like the Sportsmen's Lodge, Del Rey or Hotel Little Havana won't ever be in any package deal.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:10 pm 

I always go to CR by myself. Providing you don't walk at night & don't get stinkin' drunk, you won't have an issue. Get some Spanish & have fun!