www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:11 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Ive never understood the cab fare. Took a cab one day to San Pedro, and it was 700c.

How the hell does it cost 1000c+ to get to the Sportsmans or any other place in downtown SJO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:20 pm 

One (newbie) time I took a cab to the mall San Pedro, it was like 800 colones. When I left the mall a K*D steered me towards a parked cab, how nice I thought and tipped him 100c or something, I mentioned the meter to the driver and he "turned it on" (double speed I guess)- it was over 2000c for the return ride. I argued and tossed him a 1000c note and walked off.
Newbie lesson- :idea: don't let anyone steer you towards a particular cab, there were plenty of cabs dropping people off at the mall and I should have went directly to one of those. Also always exit the cab before arguing over a fare if it's out of line, so you are in a better position to simply walk away after paying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:17 pm 

PacoLoco wrote:
I argued and tossed him a 1000c note and walked off.

What are the chances of a nasty confrontation doing that? Would he get out and try to come after you? What would you do then? I almost did it the night the lights went out in April. We took a taxi from Del Mar to my apartment building. It should be 650¢ and he says 1,500¢. I flagged him down, so I thought he was using the meter, but he wasn't. I knew what it should have been and wanted to just walk out and leave 1k, but having my novia with me and it being pitch black outside, it was probably not a wise idea to have this big Phucker going after me over $1.

I guess if he goes after you, just say "let's call the police". I think that would shut him up and get him back in his cab very quickly, especially if he's not using the meter which he's supposed to always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:01 pm 

Good point Orange in avoiding a confrontation over a buck or two and in certain situations or being a newbie and unsure of going prices I would agree, it may not be worth the hassle or drama. But sometimes I get fed up with the constant screw-the-gringo game down there and if I know that someone is blatantly attempting to overcharge me then why not take a stand and let them know that I know better? I've done it with taxi's several times and usually say something like "no soy un gringo estúpido." :evil: Last trip the taxi from Motel Eden to the HDR told me it was 4600 colones when the maria said 1600. He claimed he gets another 3000 for commission going to the motel. Well I knew this was BS and told him I wasn't stupid and tossed 2k on the seat and walked off. I doubt a cabbie is just going to leave his car in the calle and come chasing after you because you didn't allow him to screw you over. Besides I pay the fare PLUS a propina so it's not like he's getting taken for anything, he's just trying to hit me with the gringo-price which is part of life down there so we can't blame them for trying.

Post subject: Cab advice redux
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:31 am 

Taxi Tips:

1. ARESEP is the governing body which licenses taxis/taxistas, sets fares, regulates meters etc. All licensed cabs (yello triangle sticker with license number, red cars) must follow ARESEP regulations or risk losing their licenses.

2. The correct slang phrase is "Ponga la maria, por favor." If you want to avoid offending strict Catholic drivers, use the phrase, "Ponga el taximeter, por favor."
3. With unmetered cabs (not always pirates; 1 in 5 taxistas will tell you the meter isn't working), I offer the customary fare. I say something like, "Tengo solamente ochocientos colones. Podria llevarme al (destination)?" Often, the driver will agree. You need to know customary fares to do this.
4. Be friendly and polite. There's no reason to start out the negotiations with a bad attitude. These guys work very hard for fairly little money. Let them know that you're not new, that you've taken a particular route many times and know the correct fare.
5. Carry coins. I keep a pocketful of 500 and 100 colones coins, just for taxis.
6. As Bilko stated above, tipping is neither required nor expected. One exception to this is if the driver has to help you with baggage or carrying store-bought items into your hotel/apartment.
7. "Tour guides" get an average of $10.00/hour, regardless of distance driven. I have an extremely reliable driver who calls himself a tour guide. It took some arduous negotiation to get him to use his meter for shorter trips, but we finally came to an agreement. :D BTW, PM me for his contact information. "Guillermo "Memo" Pacheco is a great driver/guide, particularly for day trips. He's very friendly, speaks some ENglish and knows the valley very well. He also has a regular partner who drives nights.
8. Do not under any circumstances get into a physical confrontation with a taxista. Call the police.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:55 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

awesome post!....a thousand thankyou's! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:54 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

A lot of very good info in the post ORANGE, thanks I just returned from heaven and paid my exit taxes at the Holiday Inn front desk, just walked in and paid it. Never stayed there nor would I !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:18 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Orange,
I was at the anniversary party and the Sleep Inn was not as bad as you mention. Yes the $25 chica fee is a bit ridiculous but I was not hassled or frowned upon by the staff.
Yes there are more chica friendly places to stay but it was not that bad and I saw many ladies walking out of the hotel.

Great article. A must read for any one going to CR.

Post subject: Trip tips
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:58 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Best, all inclusive do's and don'ts - Many thanks. I f you are in CR from the 6th through the 12th, please let me know I'd like to buy you a drink for all of the help!

Post subject: Latex
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:45 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Orange-used Condom Express -Great Service. Received order in three days. But I think I went over board, bought $50.00 worth. Also I remember a post with link for "Wallet Currency Converter Chart, " Anyone have link?
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Latex
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:07 pm 

Thumperd wrote:
Also I remember a post with link for "Wallet Currency Converter Chart, " Anyone have link?
Thanks.

Here you go: http://www.oanda.com/convert/cheatsheet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:25 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Quote:
Yes the $25 chica fee is a bit ridiculous but I was not hassled or frowned upon by the staff.

That's the highest chica fee I have ever heard of, crazy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:30 pm 

Try $40.00 at the Holiday Inn Gorgee!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:52 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

My buddy just went to Eden and said the cab there was normal like 2000 colones, but going back it was like 6-7 thousand. I have heard this happen to several people, Do they have to pay a fee to eden or what. Or are they preying on people since you really cant just walk around there and find a cab. Regardless interesting just to walk away and pay the 2000 and forget em, can you just say call the police if you want more. I did that at the airport where the driver tried to take me for 26 bucks when it should have been 19. I said hey lets go get that policeman over there. That shut him up real quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:54 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I think these cabbies, girls etc always try to charge more because in their minds they have to at least try or else they are leaving money on the table, once you call them on their BS they shut up and are pretty meek about trying to extort money in general, but YMMV depending on the cab driver.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next