www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Valid CRC bills
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:55 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I haven't been to Costa Rica for a few years. I still have some of their currency. Are the paper bills, other the 1 mil, still valid?

Post subject: Re: Valid CRC bills
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:06 am 

GoodDayJohn wrote:
I haven't been to Costa Rica for a few years. I still have some of their currency. Are the paper bills, other the 1 mil, still valid?

I don't think so but I believe you can turn them in for current bills at the Central Bank of Costa Rica downtown.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:26 pm 

There is also a BCR kiosk in the departures terminal at the airport. It is located on the left side as you walk to the security checkpoint. I would imagine they would exchange your old notes. Also a great place to exchange dollars for colones at bank rates. Then you can just walk outside and call an Uber to take you to Centro for about half the price of a taxi. Their preferred pickup point is the fourth (last) crosswalk.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:57 pm 

Other peoples' experiences

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTopic ... _Rica.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:33 pm 

Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I will take Harddrive's suggestion and go to the bank in the departure area. I also did some searching on the internet and learned that the last paper (cotton) bills were taken out of circulation in October, 2022.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:35 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Anyone know if the Gulch Hotels will take the old bills as payment or exchange them as a Customer Service for paying guests?
How about the ripoff exchange booth at the airport? Last few times I flew in, the airport BCR was closed due to the late time of day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:51 am 

I have had no luck with any hotel or business taking them. The girls definitely won't. If you need a close bank, there is a larger branch on the second floor of the INS building.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:19 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
Harddrive43228 wrote:
I have had no luck with any hotel or business taking them. The girls definitely won't. If you need a close bank, there is a larger branch on the second floor of the INS building.

Yes I took my already old notes from my early 2021 trip into the BCR office inside INS building last September. Very convenient to the gulch. Those 'old' notes still looked pretty new to me. I also had to change notes in 2015-2018 I believe.

Don't know why they change so relatively frequent. I think I got clipped about 10% for my last change. Oh well at least I got something for my not really that old notes. Maybe that is why they change notes every few years to get 10% out of everyone to help pay for all their country's debt. :?:

Or to help deter counterfeiting?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:03 pm 

Puro Party wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:

Yes I took my already old notes from my early 2021 trip into the BCR office inside INS building last September. Very convenient to the gulch. Those 'old' notes still looked pretty new to me. I also had to change notes in 2015-2018 I believe.

Don't know why they change so relatively frequent. I think I got clipped about 10% for my last change. Oh well at least I got something for my not really that old notes. Maybe that is why they change notes every few years to get 10% out of everyone to help pay for all their country's debt. :?:

Or to help deter counterfeiting?

The new ones are very hard to counterfeit. I'm sure that was at least part of the reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:04 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

FRAUD at it's BEST

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:57 pm 

Netgems wrote:
GoodDayJohn wrote:

I don't think so but I believe you can turn them in for current bills at the Central Bank of Costa Rica downtown.

If they're all small bills, 1's, 2's, 5's and 10's, and you don't want the hassle of standing in line to redeem them, give them to hoz as tips, they don't mind going to the bank and standing in line to redeem them, they've been standing in lines their entire lives here...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:20 pm 

Lat November I accidently paid a Chica with the old bills and she either didn't notice or didn't mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:45 pm 

Here's an update on the old bills and some other observations. I went to the bank in the departures area (BAC) and the lady exchanged the old bills for new ones without any problems. I also exchanged $200 USD. Exchange rate was 516/1. Before going across the street, I went to the Claro desk in the baggage claim area to buy a sim. They accept USD there. The costs are very good. I could have bought a sim with 7 days service and 2 gb of data for $6, but the sim wouldn't work in my phone. It's a Kalley phone I bought in Medellin and a Claro sim works in Colombia. The specs of the phone say it works on the 1800 band, which is used in Costa Rica, but obviously not. I got an Uber from the airport to the La Amistad hotel for 6,700 COP. I gave the guy 7,500 and he seemed to be very happy. I went to the Sportsmens Lodge last night. There were a lot of ladies there, but I only saw a couple of guys take anyone to their rooms. For long time visitors to the Sportsmens who haven't been there in a while, Adriana, Yoleny (sp?), and another long time bartender are working there now. The one who I don't remember her name has gained a lot of weight. Adriana and Yoleny look the same as they did 6 years ago.

The banks here appear to give their exchange rate at the ATM instead of allowing the Visa rate. I went to a Banco National ATM this morning and the rate I received was 516/1, which incidentally is the same I received at a different bank when I exchanged USD. The Visa rate today is 523/1.

I have a dental appointment this afternoon, which is the primary reason I am here. I'll provide some more updates in the trip reports section as I continue my venture. I'm here until Friday. I've been spoiled by Medellin. So far, prices of food here are about double what they are in Medellin. I went to a little cafe near the hospital this morning and a glass of orange juice and a cup of coffee were 1,200 COP each. The coffee wasn't good, but the juice was very good. At the Sportsmen, chicken fingers and fries are 5,900 and a chicken hamburger is 6,900.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:15 pm 

GoodDayJohn wrote:
Here's an update on the old bills and some other observations. I went to the bank in the departures area (BAC) and the lady exchanged the old bills for new ones without any problems. I also exchanged $200 USD. Exchange rate was 516/1. Before going across the street, I went to the Claro desk in the baggage claim area to buy a sim. They accept USD there. The costs are very good. I could have bought a sim with 7 days service and 2 gb of data for $6, but the sim wouldn't work in my phone. It's a Kalley phone I bought in Medellin and a Claro sim works in Colombia. The specs of the phone say it works on the 1800 band, which is used in Costa Rica, but obviously not. I got an Uber from the airport to the La Amistad hotel for 6,700 COP. I gave the guy 7,500 and he seemed to be very happy. I went to the Sportsmens Lodge last night. There were a lot of ladies there, but I only saw a couple of guys take anyone to their rooms. For long time visitors to the Sportsmens who haven't been there in a while, Adriana, Yoleny (sp?), and another long time bartender are working there now. The one who I don't remember her name has gained a lot of weight. Adriana and Yoleny look the same as they did 6 years ago.

The banks here appear to give their exchange rate at the ATM instead of allowing the Visa rate. I went to a Banco National ATM this morning and the rate I received was 516/1, which incidentally is the same I received at a different bank when I exchanged USD. The Visa rate today is 523/1.

I have a dental appointment this afternoon, which is the primary reason I am here. I'll provide some more updates in the trip reports section as I continue my venture. I'm here until Friday. I've been spoiled by Medellin. So far, prices of food here are about double what they are in Medellin. I went to a little cafe near the hospital this morning and a glass of orange juice and a cup of coffee were 1,200 COP each. The coffee wasn't good, but the juice was very good. At the Sportsmen, chicken fingers and fries are 5,900 and a chicken hamburger is 6,900.

Good informative story, good to know...

Ummm...I think you mentioned Yorleny. I believe you are mistaken. She looks as good as she did FOURTEEN years ago... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

https://youtu.be/r0ye25QVw90