www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Travel / Trip Insurance
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:15 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

For the last 4 years or so, whenever I leave the country I always get a trip insurance policy. It basically gives me some peace of mind in the event something bad happens. I find the policies are generally pretty inexpensive for the level of coverage provided.

I have used both World Nomads and Trawick International. Their rates are similar and signup online is relatively painless. I usually just get the emergency medical, accident and repatriation as well as trip interruption coverage. Trip cancellation coverage generally increases the premium a lot.

Up until last month I have never had to file a claim but on my return from the Dominican Republic, my connecting flight from JFK was cancelled by Delta and I found myself stuck in an airport hotel for two nights waiting for a new flight. I am probably lucky I am Platinum with Delta or I might have been there a week.

When I finally got home I first contacted Delta for reimbursement of my expenses (hotel, Uber and Uber Eats). It took a couple of weeks for their response and it was negative as they said the cancellation was due to weather. I argued that it was sunny in NYC and sunny at my destination and other airlines were flying out of JFK but my pleas fell on deaf ears. No go.

At that point I filed a claim with Trawick for my hotel and other expenses. It did take a couple of weeks and a couple of hurry up phone calls but I did get a check in the mail for the full amount of my claim. I was pleased and somewhat surprised at no pushback whatsoever.

So bottom line, Trawick does pay out but not quickly so you are going to have to be able to cover your out of pocket yourself and get reimbursement. Not a big deal for small things like hotel and meals but for some serious medical could be a problem if you don't have enough available credit on you card(s).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:21 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Thanks for the info! Very useful! I'm definitely going the Travel Insurance route on future trips!
Delta has always been my go to but they suck Post Covid!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:27 am 

nosejelly wrote:
Thanks for the info! Very useful! I'm definitely going the Travel Insurance route on future trips!
Delta has always been my go to but they suck Post Covid!

Unfortunately most of the US based airlines pretty much suck now. Lots of cancelations and delays, poor customer service etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:13 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Thanks for sharing the info Harddrive it’s good to know that Trawick is not a bogus company as one has alleged !

I’m sure that procedure is common with all travel insurance pay first hopefully get reimbursed later

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:55 am 

TF74 wrote:
Thanks for sharing the info Harddrive it’s good to know that Trawick is not a bogus company as one has alleged !

I’m sure that procedure is common with all travel insurance pay first hopefully get reimbursed later

Only it's shills and promoters are bogus. :lol:
https://ca.trustpilot.com/review/www.tr ... om?stars=1

FYI
Before I got residency, I bought a yearly, unlimited trip policy through United Healthcare Global. At that time, I paid about $250 for the year. Although it included both medical and trip interruption coverage, I only ever needed to file one medical claim. I had an accident where I spent 2 days in patient at Biblica and multiple labs, medicines, follow up appointments. Total bills were about $3500. After a $500 deductible, UHC Global paid 80%. I did not have to "pay first".

I was already a UHC member through my employee benefits program. I purchased the plan through them. I just checked the regular UHC Global web site and did not see the "unlimited trip, 1 year" option available, only a "per trip, 180 day max" option.

When my injury occurred, I called the UHC Global support line (24x7) and after a brief conversation, they directed me to Hospital Clinica Biblica. When I arrived at the Biblica ER, I gave registration desk my coverage info and they contacted UHC Global again to confirm coverage. After that, I did not have to deal with insurance or payment again until discharge. Then I paid my portion and also when receiving follow up exams.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:52 pm 

I confirmed with Trawick that unless the medical provider is in their network (and there are no in-network providers outside of the USA) you pay for services up front and then file for reimbursement. They do have a Travel Assistance provider to direct you to medical providers and start the repatriation process if you are very ill or injured and need to come back to the USA for treatment.

I don't know if the 5 star reviews are shills and the one stars are trolls. A lot of the one stars seemed to be due to delays associated with missing paperwork. They do ask for a lot of documentation / proof and I spent a couple of hours gathering and organizing it. Filled out the claim form online. Attached my documentation and submitted online.

I can only report on my experience. I filed a claim. They paid it relatively quickly after I filed.

If the limits on your credit cards are somewhat lacking I would definitely research companies that will direct you to preferred health care providers and guarantee payment to those providers up front like the company Boynton identified. That ability is probably going to vary considerably from country to country.