www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guys on the ground
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:06 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

wmark1963 wrote:
What time frame are you talking about in terms of Mexico?.

I think travel bubbles will be short term, 1 to 2 years. Once a vaccine is developed and deployed internationally, they will burst. Regionalism vs globalism will work itself out over the next decade and will be way too political to discuss on this board, best left to the pundits on social media.

Mexico mongering was already in full swing along the border. This will resume as quarantine-free travel returns. It also exists pretty well in Mexico City. If I were still working or living in the US, I would be checking it out as soon as travel opens up. I want to see how it develops in Oaxaca and Veracruz. As far as timing, I am guessing at 2 to 5 years.

To be clear, I think CR, Medellin, Pattaya, etc will be open way before then but the travel costs and hassles will be greater. This could even work in the hobby's favor. Nothing has happened to reduce the global supply of pu*sy and money always talks.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:36 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

The more time that passes here in Costa Rica without a major outbreak solidifies my believe that this has all been a scam. 10 deaths out of 5 million people. Limited testing so the public is not scared to death over rising numbers cases. Most of the deaths were in people over 70. I don't know about most of you but I am 70 and have had half my contemporaries die before this virus. Nobody I know has died from it. The chances of getting it are about the same as getting the flu and should I get it my chances of surviving are about 99 out of 100. For this my freedom to work and move around has been stolen by politicians and people in power with agendas. It is pretty much business as usual in San Jose during the day. Tens of thousands of people are on the streets and have been in increasing numbers since Easter. They are not dropping like flies here. They can walk the streets of San Jose unimpeded but are restricted on walking on beaches and in National Parks. Yes this has been opened slightly with major impediments. You can't sit in a restaurant next to someone but you are within 2 feet of people on the bus and shoulder to shoulder at bus stops and intersections. Most restaurants have not reopened. Little to no precautions are being taken at barber shops and beauty salons. One out of 50 are wearing masks and yet the hospitals are empty. 4 people in ICU in the whole country for the virus. I would be terrified to go to a hospital in New York. Looks like they are killing people there left and right or have the least competent hospitals in the world. They can kill people simply by being too quick to put them on a ventilator. I think 8 or 10 they put on ventilators die. I would take my chances without being intubated.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:45 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Pops wrote:
The more time that passes here in Costa Rica without a major outbreak solidifies my believe that this has all been a scam. 10 deaths out of 5 million people. Limited testing so the public is not scared to death over rising numbers cases. Most of the deaths were in people over 70. I don't know about most of you but I am 70 and have had half my contemporaries die before this virus. Nobody I know has died from it. The chances of getting it are about the same as getting the flu and should I get it my chances of surviving are about 99 out of 100. For this my freedom to work and move around has been stolen by politicians and people in power with agendas. It is pretty much business as usual in San Jose during the day. Tens of thousands of people are on the streets and have been in increasing numbers since Easter. They are not dropping like flies here. They can walk the streets of San Jose unimpeded but are restricted on walking on beaches and in National Parks. Yes this has been opened slightly with major impediments. You can't sit in a restaurant next to someone but you are within 2 feet of people on the bus and shoulder to shoulder at bus stops and intersections. Most restaurants have not reopened. Little to no precautions are being taken at barber shops and beauty salons. One out of 50 are wearing masks and yet the hospitals are empty. 4 people in ICU in the whole country for the virus. I would be terrified to go to a hospital in New York. Looks like they are killing people there left and right or have the least competent hospitals in the world. They can kill people simply by being too quick to put them on a ventilator. I think 8 or 10 they put on ventilators die. I would take my chances without being intubated.

Look at the pattern in what you're saying:

Beaches, National Parks, Restaurant - restrict people or complete close down. Everywhere else, allow.

The places where social activity and family togetherness, recreation, and human nurturing, are restricted.
Shut down the healing nature of human to human, family contact.

( makes you want to find a chica from skotta(?).com and get her in the men's bathroom at a restaurant and then walk out with her in a very noticeable way )

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:10 pm 

The contrast between CR and the US makes one wonder if one of the problems facing all so called first world countries is the popularity and enforcement of immunization shots from birth to old age. The body is never given a chance to develop any natural immunity. In this kind of sanitized society any new infection cannot be fought naturaly so they sicken and drop like flies. Maybe, just my thoughts. :idea: :idea: :idea:

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:07 pm 

Isra123 wrote:
The contrast between CR and the US makes one wonder if one of the problems facing all so called first world countries is the popularity and enforcement of immunization shots from birth to old age. The body is never given a chance to develop any natural immunity. In this kind of sanitized society any new infection cannot be fought naturaly so they sicken and drop like flies. Maybe, just my thoughts. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Natural immunity … yep. Try smallpox, polio, even our favorite childhood diseases. They killed, maimed, did their thing in rich countries and poor countries until vaccines dealt with them. This is the same. No one is probably immune...but a lot of people don't get very sick with it.

But maybe you haven't seen people with the covid coronavirus because societies took steps to limit it. I know from people that have seen...some of my family members were working in a hospital in a hard hit country in Europe. And saw the people dying, dead, bodies in the hallways, etc. etc. When this thing runs it runs. And it did for a week or two longer in some of those countries before they started distancing, etc. and the results were devastating. People of all ages and health conditions, but for sure the majority were older. Like most of us. Over 55, 60.

So in my opinion be thankful that all these measures were taken. And are being taken. Because the family members and people you know that would be among the victims if this thing runs its "natural course". I felt lucky that my granddaughter and son in law survived it, but lots where they were working didn't.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:43 pm 

Zeos, you seem to miss the point here.
No one is saying the virus is not causing untold havoc among first world countries or that a vaccine is not needed or any thing else.
The question is WHY are people in Costa Rica not dying in large numbers as opposed to what we are seeing in Europe and the US. :) :) :)

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

It seems unlikely that people in Costa Rica are somehow better able to resist this. It's more likely that it took longer for the virus to get there and by the time it did, steps to control the spread were already being taken. Look at Brazil. They were one of the last places to start seeing the virus, had ample warning, did nothing, and now they're seeing huge infection and death rates. This is one of the unfortunate parts about a public health crisis. If you're doing a good job, then it seems like nothing happened and everyone thinks the response was overblown.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:40 pm 

Isra123 wrote:
Zeos, you seem to miss the point here.
No one is saying the virus is not causing untold havoc among first world countries or that a vaccine is not needed or any thing else.
The question is WHY are people in Costa Rica not dying in large numbers as opposed to what we are seeing in Europe and the US. :) :) :)

I'm not sure what the percentages are...I could look it up and will in a bit. But CR is not a large country population wise. And I think they got on it fairly soon. And possibly there is more of it going around than the numbers indicate. I don't know. I have been hoping that there is something about climate or something...but Panama has been hit hard, Nicaragua claims they have very little, but truckers seem to have it.

So I don't know the answer to that question. But the virus is almost certainly the same. And I'm sure the country wants to keep the numbers low. So opening everything up will probably not be the chosen course of action.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:12 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
snowmatt3 wrote:
It seems unlikely that people in Costa Rica are somehow better able to resist this. It's more likely that it took longer for the virus to get there and by the time it did, steps to control the spread were already being taken. Look at Brazil. They were one of the last places to start seeing the virus, had ample warning, did nothing, and now they're seeing huge infection and death rates. This is one of the unfortunate parts about a public health crisis. If you're doing a good job, then it seems like nothing happened and everyone thinks the response was overblown.

+

Also maybe due to less population density and a lot of the population spending lot more time outside in C.R. enjoying the pure vida versus cooped up inside in enclosed tight spaces that foster the spread.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:04 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I really, really hope I'm wrong, but I can't help feeling that Costa Rica will soon be experiencing a significant increase in the number of reported cases, at least in the greater San Jose area, where people are not wearing masks & practicing social distancing to a significant degree. The steps that have been taken have likely been partially effective but not comprehensive enough to get a handle on this absurdly contagious virus. Only 4% of the population has been tested. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these low case numbers will hold through the upcoming "winter" season.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:01 pm 

There has been a recent uptick in diagnosed cases, but rather than focused just in San Jose they have been seen in Cañas(21), La Cruz(4), and Abangares(4). All these were in Guanacaste along the Inter American Highway. Yesterday, there were 21 new cases in CR. This was the highest since April 9. The obvious indication points to truckers and others in transit from Nicaragua. Even with this uptick, the hospital system is not currently stressed. There are 313 active cases, 15 people are hospitalized of which only 2 are in intensive care.

I got laid twice last week and have an appointment tomorrow. I did have one chica last week who showed up to my apartment with a fever of 102F. She never made it inside my door. I showed her the reading and sent her on her way with 10mil for a cab. I put the thermometer in a glass of alcohol, stripped naked in my garage went upstairs for a long hot shower. This week, I will buy a non contact thermometer.

The virus situation in other countries is far more relevant than the situation here. The next loosening step is scheduled for June 1 when hotels can open at 50% occupancy and bars at 25%. I expect this is when we will see bankruptcies become more obvious as businesses fail to reopen. Business owners will have to decide whether to preverse what capital they can. I also noted that malls opened in Medellin on today, but shoppers had to download a COVID app on their cell phones. No word of similar measures here, but I expect we will get them later this week.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:54 pm 

COVID-19 testing at home. (Virus not antibody)
If you live in the central calley, Clinica Biblica will now come to your house and take a SAR-CoV2 test and give you the result in 24 hours. The cost is c58mil, about $105USD.(No details as to whether they report it to the Health Ministry) They will also deliver anything in their pharmacy.
https://qcostarica.com/stay-home-clinic ... g-at-home/

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:39 pm 

Boynton wrote:
COVID-19 testing at home. (Virus not antibody)
If you live in the central calley, Clinica Biblica will now come to your house and take a SAR-CoV2 test and give you the result in 24 hours. The cost is c58mil, about $105USD.(No details as to whether they report it to the Health Ministry) They will also deliver anything in their pharmacy.
https://qcostarica.com/stay-home-clinic ... g-at-home/

This is excellent, progress and good information. :D Pricey of course for the Tico but a big start to where we want to get to. :D

Post subject: PS
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 5:14 pm 

For you guys on the ground, man up and get off the ground. Only guy worth laying on the ground is one that needs to be kicked again... :o

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:30 pm 

If Clinica Biblicla gets a Positive result on your test, don't be shocked if the Health Ministry knocks on your door! Then the Contact Tracing begins.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next