www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:24 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Don't get your hopes up on getting back into CR anytime soon if you are in the US
https://ticotimes.net/2020/06/22/no-tou ... says-again

Costa Rica is currently restricting the arrival of non-resident foreigners through June 30, though given Salas’s comments, that date seems likely to be extended.

Salas’s declarations about welcoming tourism only from countries with controlled coronavirus spread appear to directly implicate visitors from the United States. The North American country has tallied more than 2.2 million cases with nearly 120,000 deaths, according to the World Health Organization.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:53 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Flabuck wrote:
Don't get your hopes up on getting back into CR anytime soon if you are in the US
https://ticotimes.net/2020/06/22/no-tou ... says-again

Costa Rica is currently restricting the arrival of non-resident foreigners through June 30, though given Salas’s comments, that date seems likely to be extended.

Salas’s declarations about welcoming tourism only from countries with controlled coronavirus spread appear to directly implicate visitors from the United States. The North American country has tallied more than 2.2 million cases with nearly 120,000 deaths, according to the World Health Organization.

Yes, sadly, I figure no return until a vaccine....... :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:27 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

You need to consider Salas’s comments within all the politics that are happening. As Health Minister he clearly would like to keep the boarders closed and strict measures in place. However, he is arguing his case in the media, NOT announcing an extension of the boarder restrictions.

This to me indicates he is losing the argument within the government. He is being blocked by those higher up that are also considering the economic impact of continued extensions. Salas is making his position clear so he cannot be blamed if things go bad. Cover-your-ass, it’s what politicians do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:06 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

bulldog10 wrote:
You need to consider Salas’s comments within all the politics that are happening. As Health Minister he clearly would like to keep the boarders closed and strict measures in place. However, he is arguing his case in the media, NOT announcing an extension of the boarder restrictions.

This to me indicates he is losing the argument within the government. He is being blocked by those higher up that are also considering the economic impact of continued extensions. Salas is making his position clear so he cannot be blamed if things go bad. Cover-your-ass, it’s what politicians do.

Very good point. I hope he does not have the authority to keep us out for long. I have a lady that depends on me down there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:33 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Here's today's news on return of international tourism to Costa Rica:

https://ticotimes.net/2020/06/24/costa- ... al-tourism

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:24 pm 

Doesn't look good. Appears they will start letting in a few tourists from countries not claiming to have active cases. I suspect that Americans will be the last tourists they will allow in. This will be a token opening to ease the pressure the government officials are starting to feel. They have thousands of hospital beds in Costa Rica. The special hospital in San Jose should house about 85 patients according to the statements they made upon opening it. Most elective surgeries are being postponed so none of the hospitals are close to capacity. At any time the roughly 235 ICU beds are 60 to 80% in use. That leaves roughly 40 to 50 beds available. They have 5 in use at the moment. This does not include ICU beds available in private hospitals like CIMA and Clinica Biblica. Their system is not being over taxed nor has it come close. They admit they are now better at tracking contacts of known active cases. Increased testing along with knowing where to test is generating most of the new cases. Costa Rican politicians are famous for taking care of themselves and their friends. This will play out when the agendas in play have been achieved. I suspect the country will open to Americans around December.

Funny with almost no social distancing being practiced in the poor communities and tens of thousands of Nicaraguans living in extremely high density conditions they are not adding to the hospitalizations or deaths. The virus seems to take pity on the poor. There are hundreds of homeless in downtown San Jose that too seem immune to the virus. Until this week most buses saw times during the day when they were 60 to 70% full with few wearing masks. Every day there are tens of thousands of people on Avenida Central and have been since after Easter. Of the twelve deaths, 7 were over 65. I am near 71. I have pre-existing conditions. I don't know anybody my age that doesn't. That is one statistic that is not being published here but since there are only 12 it would be easy for them to compile.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:18 pm 

Looks like the compromise has been reached

https://ticotimes.net/2020/06/24/costa- ... and-canada

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:10 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

catbert55 wrote:

While I would like to see the borders opened as much as the next man, you have to wonder "What's in it for the EU or UK?" Currency drain outside their economic zone when they are already funding bailouts to vacation destinations like Spain, Italy, Greece, etc? Exposure to thousands of infected Nicaraguans, especially in the scenic Orange Alert town of La Fortuna?

Yum yum gimmie sum.

I personally think Pops' assessment of December is more realistic although there will probably be some token effort before then. Good on the Canadians, eh.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:06 am 

Boynton wrote:
catbert55 wrote:

Yum yum gimmie sum.

I personally think Pops' assessment of December is more realistic although there will probably be some token effort before then. Good on the Canadians, eh.

So, they want our money and charity, they just don’t want us in Costa Rica.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:18 am 

It us just a suggestion/plea from the Tourism Board.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:20 am 

Why not require proof of negative Covid test or positive antibody within 7 days before entering the country? No proof of test, you are turned away. Non descriminatory.
And sorry, refugees don't get a free pass to enter with the disease.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:49 am 

Boynton wrote:
It us just a suggestion/plea from the Tourism Board.

I'm buying into Bulldog's observation that the govt is debating this via press releases.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:09 am 

Rolleratnight wrote:
Boynton wrote:
catbert55 wrote:

Yum yum gimmie sum.

So, they want our money and charity, they just don’t want us in Costa Rica.

Its very simple. They don't want people from countries with uncontrolled spread of the virus. Couldn't be much simpler, its what the health minister said, and its what the news yesterday confirmed. Whether it will end up that way or not...who knows. But … I don't think any countries will be opening up to tourism from US, Brazil, Russia, Mexico...but especially the US and Brazil. You can debate the reasons for the growth in cases in those countries all you want...but biology rules the day.

You may recall that the US was early to ban flights from China, from the UK, from Europe...because of what now looks like almost nothing in comparison (case numbers, etc). So why would other countries not do the same when the pandemic in the USA is many many times worse.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:19 am 

Zeos wrote:
Its very simple. They don't want people from countries with uncontrolled spread of the virus. Couldn't be much simpler, its what the health minister said, and its what the news yesterday confirmed. Whether it will end up that way or not...who knows. But … I don't think any countries will be opening up to tourism from US, Brazil, Russia, Mexico...but especially the US and Brazil. You can debate the reasons for the growth in cases in those countries all you want...but biology rules the day.

You may recall that the US was early to ban flights from China, from the UK, from Europe...because of what now looks like almost nothing in comparison (case numbers, etc). So why would other countries not do the same when the pandemic in the USA is many many times worse.

Yes, quite true unfortunately. The evidence is undeniable. My small retort was referencing the RFMs. Has anyone heard a, “I miss you?” Doubtful. Probably a “can you send me money?” request.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:11 am 

Rolleratnight wrote:
Yes, quite true unfortunately. The evidence is undeniable. My small retort was referencing the RFMs. Has anyone heard a, “I miss you?” Doubtful. Probably a “can you send me money?” request.

As it was, is, and ever shall be .....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 43  Next