www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:57 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

The media is hyping this and not informing anybody. In any pandemic, it’s the deaths that are important to watch, not the “cases.” When any area starts to have more deaths than usual with no identifiable cause, this is when the epidemiologist get to work. 12 people have died in all of Costa Rica from COVID-19. If there was no COVID-19 and you tried to get Ticos riled up by telling them 12 more people than usual died you would be laughed at.

We know a lot more now than when this started in Wuhan. Women tend not to die from it. Google how many woman over 100 survived their COVID-19 illness! Then look at the mortality of men.

Dexamethasone was discovered by NHS in UK to significantly increase your survivability.

Still, the government and the media feed on fear and that is what allows them to have power over the people.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:13 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Rolleratnight wrote:
The media is hyping this and not informing anybody. In any pandemic, it’s the deaths that are important to watch, not the “cases.” When any area starts to have more deaths than usual with no identifiable cause, this is when the epidemiologist get to work. 12 people have died in all of Costa Rica from COVID-19. If there was no COVID-19 and you tried to get Ticos riled up by telling them 12 more people than usual died you would be laughed at.

We know a lot more now than when this started in Wuhan. Women tend not to die from it. Google how many woman over 100 survived their COVID-19 illness! Then look at the mortality of men.

Dexamethasone was discovered by NHS in UK to significantly increase your survivability.

Still, the government and the media feed on fear and that is what allows them to have power over the people.

WOW, this changes everything. Now they are sure to open the borders on July 1st. Thanks RolyPoly :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:31 pm 

FartBlossom wrote:
WOW, this changes everything. Now they are sure to open the borders on July 1st. Thanks RolyPoly :roll: :roll: :roll:

Right! Every reader thought I was writing my appeal, on CRT to the government to change national policy. Thanks for pointing out how futile it would be. I will look for a better venue thanks to your sagacity. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:37 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Rolleratnight wrote:
FartBlossom wrote:

Right! Every reader thought I was writing my appeal, on CRT to the government to change national policy. Thanks for pointing out how futile it would be. I will look for a better venue thanks to your sagacity. Keep up the good work!

I wouldn't discount the amount of government attention this board gets. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:44 pm 

Rolleratnight wrote:

Yea, even though confirmed cases AND death rates are spiking in Latin America. Start with Colombia, Brazil, and Mexico, then keep looking around. Scroll down and check the graphs.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... /colombia/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/brazil/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/mexico/

Heck even Costa Rica, the once Covid free little paradise and poster Ch*ld for the "It`s all a hoax!" crowd is now in panic mode. But I hear like everything else it`s all the fault of the Nicas... :wink: But anyway don`t let facts get in the way of worldwide conspiracy theories. Load up the pickup and go enjoy a pep rally in Tulsa. It will provide a nice diversion to Coast to Coast AM. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:09 pm 

[quote="Express321]
Yea, even though confirmed cases AND death rates are spiking in Latin America. Start with Colombia, Brazil, and Mexico, then keep looking around. Scroll down and check the graphs.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... /colombia/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/brazil/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/mexico/

Heck even Costa Rica, the once Covid free little paradise and poster Ch*ld for the "It`s all a hoax!" crowd is now in panic mode. But I hear like everything else it`s all the fault of the Nicas... :wink: But anyway don`t let facts get in the way of worldwide conspiracy theories. Load up the pickup and go enjoy a pep rally in Tulsa. It will provide a nice diversion to Coast to Coast AM. :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Yes, in the countries you listed, the logarithmic scale (which is what shows a trend) are alarmingly heading vertical. Since this is mainly a Costa Rica board, I was commenting on the mainly horizontal logarithmic scale of the deaths graph for Costa Rica only.

I don’t do politics and I don’t listen to conspiracy theories to know what they are saying. The thing about science is that it is true whether you believe it or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 pm 

Rolleratnight wrote:
I don’t do politics and I don’t listen to conspiracy theories

Rolleratnight wrote:
The media is hyping this and not informing anybody.

I'm soooooo confused :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:42 pm 

Rolleratnight wrote:

Don't buy that conspiracy. And as far as "deaths" vs. "cases". Epidemiologists look at new cases vs. total cases more than deaths in actuality. The deaths follow from cases and the age of those who catch it. And there is a lag between deaths and cases...many times 3 weeks to a month. Anyway, it is amazing how few deaths CR has had versus the total cases. May be in part because all their seniors are not living together in nursing homes and care homes...I'm not sure. But some credit has to be given to their hospital and health care system, I think.

The success with Dexamethasone was basically only with the severely ill patients, on ventilators mostly. It did not help, in fact it was a negative, for people with milder cases. So it is not going to change the need to try to avoid this disease. Less deaths hopefully, but still as serious a threat if it gets out of hand.

And...not trying to create another conspiracy here... but I wonder if they're counting all the deaths where people have Covid. A lot of places, even in the US, were missing a lot of deaths due to Covid for various reasons. Its easy, especially with older people, to attribute the death to aging or related issues, even if they are dying before they would have otherwise due to Covid.

In any case, none of this looks good for CR opening up on July 1 - and if you listen to what the health minister said, for sure it won't open up to Americans.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:27 am 

Miamiheller wrote:
Rolleratnight wrote:
I don’t do politics and I don’t listen to conspiracy theories

Rolleratnight wrote:
The media is hyping this and not informing anybody.

I'm soooooo confused :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

An excellent example

BBC - The coronavirus has arrived in the UK. It is important for the people to know this isn’t a death sentence as was the Ebola virus that occurred in West Africa.

Any media in USA - Killer virus hits the USA. The CDC says a million Americans could die. Many may not even know they’re infected.

See how one is informative and another tries to induce fear to keep you watching.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:40 am 

Zeos wrote:
Don't buy that conspiracy. And as far as "deaths" vs. "cases". Epidemiologists look at new cases vs. total cases more than deaths in actuality. The deaths follow from cases and the age of those who catch it. And there is a lag between deaths and cases...many times 3 weeks to a month. Anyway, it is amazing how few deaths CR has had versus the total cases. May be in part because all their seniors are not living together in nursing homes and care homes...I'm not sure. But some credit has to be given to their hospital and health care system, I think.

Something tragic must occur to arouse the suspicions and bring in the epidemiologist to investigate. An increase in deaths, or paralysis in the case of polio, make it worthy of investigation. It is the this increase in deaths and subsequent investigation that leads to a discovery in the cause. THEN a count of cases and a “death rate” are made.

This is why I said “deaths” and not cases are what determine the severity.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:00 am 

There is going to be a LOT of competition for this year's Nobel prizes in Medicine and Economics. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:20 am 

It's a ghost town in the middle of the night. I did however, see a couple of puta streetwalkers. I have no idea who is going to pick them up since there is NO traffic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:25 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

My biggest thing is, even if they said the boarders were open to foreigners, who wants to possibly spend 14 days in quarantine upon arrival and maybe another 14 days when you get back to the States. At this point, I’m just hoping everything is back to “normal” by the Superbowl Party next year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:04 am 

bfpsu12 wrote:
My biggest thing is, even if they said the boarders were open to foreigners, who wants to possibly spend 14 days in quarantine upon arrival and maybe another 14 days when you get back to the States. At this point, I’m just hoping everything is back to “normal” by the Superbowl Party next year.

Yes, these are the 2 biggest unanswered questions! How easy is it to enter and how easy will it be to come back? And maybe what will you do when you get there!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:52 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

The problem with a lot of the statistics that are being bantered about by the media as they try to create attention-grabbing headlines is that, naturally, as you run more tests, you are going to find more cases. But if you only show the cases going up without the insight of the number of people tested going up, (or the number of deaths going down) it's just an exercise in fear mongering.

If you want to know how well the virus is being contained in any particular locale, the real statistic that needs to be followed is the transmission factor. It represents the effective reproduction rate of the virus calculated for each locale. It lets us estimate how many secondary infections are likely to occur from a single infection in a specific area. Values over 1.0 mean we should expect more cases in that area, values under 1.0 mean we should expect fewer." Thus we strive to keep the value less than 1 so that the virus will eventually die out. Here is a good site for tracking the transmission factor in the US.

https://rt.live

I have not seen a similar site for other countries, but if anyone knows of any, please post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 43  Next