www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:10 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Tman, that's not a bad idea at all, I did the same thing you did and I am sure it will get where is needed.

If all brothers are willing to give something it would have to be food, clothes or money.

Food: what other entities are doing is putting together a "dairy" go to supermarket and buy the necessary things to support a family for a period. Personally I think that would be too much of a hassle for any member.

Clothing: It's a great need for all the people down on the caribbean. I would consider it as a great support. Members are welcome to bring any kind of clothing they don't use anymore.

Money: You all know what money can buy...with the right mecanism to collect and to deliever many good things can be achieved.
On the other hand, we can pass the hat and once everything is collected and if a few member are willing to help even further on this noble cause we can go to a supermarket and buy all the things needed to support a few families for some time.

My two colones.

Mente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:40 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

The major problem relief agencies have with the donation of items of food usually is they get an over supply of some items and an under supply of others. By donating cash they can purchase exactly what is needed( often from a supplier at a lower cost). It also solves the problem of the donor transporting the supplies to the designated collection point.

I do not think we would have to worry about the legitimate use of our money if we donated it to the Red Cross and do not think they take a middleman cut.

Agree with VB that it would be better to downplay any involvement from CRT as a group.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:53 pm 

I'll be talking to admins today to decide a plan of action. I'm sure we can do it anonymously as a group as there is no need to draw attention to our efforts. There are a couple gringo organizations that I would trust over Tico ones to get the distribution done without fingers in the pot. Plus, anything positive to show gringos here are about more than just mongering and partying... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:35 am 

I have some experience working in the non-profit management and fundraising campaigns, and I would assumed that Redcross keeps at least 10 to 15% of money donated for administrative purposes. And in dealing with cash donation, there is a temptation for employees at any agencies to embezzle the cash so most agencies would prefer donation in the form of a check. So if we are to send the Red Cross a donation do it with a check. Also I don't know if some of you remembered, several years back, The Red Cross was severly criticized for mishandling the money donated to the families of 9-11 victims. So it is not a perfect organization either. However it is still a very valuable organization worldwide.

Last edited by SafaDino on Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:01 am 
Site Admin

We can set something up with Pay Pal just for this and then cut a check to the Red Cross in the total amount with a list of contributors if you wish.

I can get this set up when I get back to the office on Monday.

Post subject: Red Cross
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:01 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Holas,

The USA Today last week ran an article of how much of every dollar donated to individual charitable organizations actually made its way to the "victims." The Red Cross ran in at 78%, which means that 22 cents of every dollar gets siphoned off in adminitrative costs.

Ask any veteran of WWII or Korea how the Red Cross treated them, or go the victims of U.S. hurricanes etc and hear the horror stories of the Red Cross selling the victims coffee, donuts, and blankets. Maybe they do some good work, but over the years many think it has deteriorated into a money-grubbing organization.

Hopefully we can find some other organization to offer our donations.

Ye Old Man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:49 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Why don't we help the putas with the sick k*ds and sick mothers? There seem to be so many of them.

From the posts i've read here 95% of the members have never even been near the carribean coast. Does anyone have an update on the situation there? I've read the gov. is completely rebuilding Sixiola on higher ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:41 am 

There are still plenty of homeless still in shelters over there. Much worse off than your putas K*ds or mothers. I think we will take a collection around the Superbowl and deliver some goods over there. I have some connects for direct distribution points of goods for that area...so in my opinion that is better option than just putting cash or checks in the hands of agencies. I will be discussing these options with Admins here and keeping you guys posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:56 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Tman,

Thanks for all you are doing. It's great to know many of you guys are willing to give something away for these people.

Please PM if you need any other help from my end.

And to all of you thanks for your support on this project of "good will"

Mente