www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:17 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

What Dapanz1 said. That is exactly what I was thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:22 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I ran across the actual law defining pimping and penalties on the internet a long time ago, so I don't remember exactly what it said. However, I do remember that it was written almost in generalities and was very nebulous, and at the time I concluded that almost anyone that had sex for money or was involved with it in any way could be at risk for being charged. Also the penalties provided for prison time. The law was very short and sweet. It went something like: "Anyone who promotes prostitution is guilty of pimping". It wasn't quite this short and simple, but it was not very specific. It seemed like it was one big gray area.

We are on page three of this thread and no one has posted the actual law yet. To determine the answer it would make sense to look at the actual law. Maybe someone can find it and post it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:55 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

From the Codigo Penal:

Quote:
Proxenetismo
Artículo 169.- Quien promueva la prostitución de personas de cualquier sexo o las induzca a ejercerla o las mantenga en ella o las reclute con ese propósito, será sancionado con la pena de prisión de dos a cinco años. La misma pena se impondrá a quien mantenga en servidumbre sexual a otra persona.
(Así reformado por Ley No. 7899 del 3 de agosto de 1999).

Proxenetismo agravado
Artículo 170.- La pena será de cuatro a diez años de prisión cuando se realice una de las acciones previstas en el artículo anterior y concurra, además, alguna de las siguientes circunstancias:
1) Si la víctima es menor de dieciocho años.
2) Si media engaño, violencia, abuso de autoridad, situación de necesidad de la víctima o cualquier medio de intimidación o coacción.
3) Si quien realiza la acción es ascendiente, descendiente, hermano o hermana por consanguinidad o afinidad, cónyuge o persona que se halle ligado en relación análoga de convivencia, tutor o encargado de la educación, guarda o custodia de la víctima.
4) Si quien realiza la acción se prevalece de su relación de confianza con la víctima o su familia, medie o no vínculo de parentesco.
(Así reformado por Ley No. 7899 del 3 de agosto de 1999).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:26 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: Downtown San Jose, Costa Rica, the BELLY of the BEAST
I leave it to legal scholars and practicioners to define what's legal and what isn't in Costa Rica. But the idea that these girls are independent contractors is a joke. The prices are set in most of these establishments. If she were truly independent she could set her own price, but of course she can't. These places are knowingly making money off of prostitution as well as facilitating it. How else would you define pimping in a common sense way (as opposed to technical legalisms)?

Having said that, I see nothing wrong with pimping, unless it involves coercion or other ugly stuff. It's just providing service to another service provider.