www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:30 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

My understanding was that CR required that your USA passport be valid for at least 6 months prior to your entry into CR.
I'm about 1.5 years away from my passport expiration and checked the CR website this past week and it read that USA passports only need to be valid for at least 1 day prior to entry into CR. Is this new? Is this a change in their policy?
I'm going to ask next time I go thru Immigration at SJO, but was curious if anyone knows the requirement/policy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:38 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Trimologist wrote:
My understanding was that CR required that your USA passport be valid for at least 6 months prior to your entry into CR.
I'm about 1.5 years away from my passport expiration and checked the CR website this past week and it read that USA passports only need to be valid for at least 1 day prior to entry into CR. Is this new? Is this a change in their policy?
I'm going to ask next time I go thru Immigration at SJO, but was curious if anyone knows the requirement/policy.

Just to be safe, I would always renew 6 months ahead.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:11 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I think the airline will prevent you from getting on the plane if your passport expires in a few months. I had a friend that had a passport expiring in 5 1/2 months from the time he was heading to Costa Rica and he did not have any problems. All it takes though is one person with an attitude to change your plans, why take a chance.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:57 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Costa Rican law states that the Passport must be valid for the duration of the stay, which could theoretically be a departure on the same day as the arrival. But flirting with the rule is not a great idea. 6 months is pretty much the international standard, and it's what the airlines usually look for. The airline I worked for made us keep our stuff valid for more than one year. I've met a couple of guys who flew into Juan Santamaria with Passports valid for 1 or 2 months, and they didn't have a problem, but I think it's just taking an unnecessary risk.