www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:52 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Im about to be offered a new job, but im not going to pass the drug test because of valium in my system. im going to be ic cr in two weeks. Can anyone recommend a doctor that will write me a script, so taht i will have proof that i was preseribed valium. i did this previously and ut worked.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:08 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Honkytonk wrote:
Im about to be offered a new job, but im not going to pass the drug test because of valium in my system. im going to be ic cr in two weeks. Can anyone recommend a doctor that will write me a script, so taht i will have proof that i was preseribed valium. i did this previously and ut worked.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 2I&cad=rja

Valium can only be detected by urine tests up to 2 weeks, c'mon down to CR and start pounding 2 to 3 hotties a day, you won't need any valium....

That being said, many farmacias have doctors that can write scripts, I think you can get them without a script in many farmacias, Costa Rica is no where near as "judgemental" as the USA, I bet any doctor will write you a script if you feel it's needed... :mrgreen: :P :twisted: :) :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:28 pm 

Netgems wrote:
That being said, many farmacias have doctors that can write scripts, I think you can get them without a script in many farmacias, Costa Rica is no where near as "judgemental" as the USA, I bet any doctor will write you a script if you feel it's needed... :mrgreen: :P :twisted: :) :D

you'll need to know the name in the local pharmacopia lingo. Make sure you know what that is called in CR. Not all countries share the marketing names with us. But don't be surprised if they decline.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:33 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Netgems wrote:

Man, I am remembering all of my old funny stories today.

Matt, if you see this, PLEASE do not hunt me down and kill me! :)

There's a pharmacy just one block north from La Amistad. It's right across the street from Hospital Calderon. At least, I assume it's still there, it's been a few months since I was in there.

So, I went in one day to get some Valium. I also needed a prescription for legal/job reasons. The clerks/pharmacists inside would not give me any pills -- "Sir, you need to see a doctor." I hung my head, all depressed, and said, "O... K... I guess...". With my best Eeyore backwards glance, I headed for the door. Then one of the clerks said, "Oh, Sir? The doctor will be coming over from the Hospital in about 2 hours. Can you come back then?" I made a huge effort to smile like I just won the lottery, "Yes!"

So, 2 hours later, I walk back to the pharmacy from downtown (hanging out at Dos Gringos -- now Papi's). As I'm about 10 steps away from the pharmacy, I suddenly think, "Crap! I better think up a good story for this doctor."

... and here's the part where Matt kicks my ass ...

Doctor: Why do you need Valium?

Me: I haven't had any sleep in 3 days because that DAMNED TRAIN keeps rumbling by La Amistad right over there, where I'm staying.

Doc gives me a halfway cynical look and then says, "OK, I'll write you up for Ten 5 mg pills."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:16 pm 

BashfulDwarf wrote:
Netgems wrote:

you'll need to know the name in the local pharmacopia lingo. Make sure you know what that is called in CR. Not all countries share the marketing names with us. But don't be surprised if they decline.

Once again the newbie is challenging the old pro... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: These guys know what "valium" means in English, you are right, it's called something different here but the English speaking pharmacists know what it is, I suspect Lee in the Farmacia close to the Del Rey on Avenida One will cough them up, I've been to many farmacias, I have a back injury and ask for oxi-forte, 10 at a time and have never been turned down at any of them, A friend of mine came down here and got valium and soma equivalent at 2 different farmacias, the pharmacist even told him about the soma substitutes... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:25 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Netgems wrote:
These guys know what "valium" means in English, you are right, it's called something different here but the English speaking pharmacists know what it is

The name "Valium" is widely known by most pharmacists and doctors in Costa Rica. However, it is also known by its generic name, "Diazepam." Most of the packets that I have seen in Costa Rica have both the trade name "Valium" and the generic name "Diazepam" printed on the packet. As most guys in Costa Rica who have been to pharmacies here probably know, pharmacists here do not normally rake pills into a prescription bottle. They usually just hand you the manufacturer's distribution box or peel off the number of pills that you are buying.

I have seen a few packets of Valium that were marked "Benzodiazepine." That is technically a correct designation for the FAMILY that the drug belongs to, but I would never buy those pills. Just say, "No Thank You," and walk away.

As a benzodiazepine, Valium is technically a "date rape" drug, although in the US it is not often used in that manner. Valium, in larger than prescribed doses, can induce Anterograde Amnesia (AA), effectively "blacking you out" from the point that the drug takes effect until the drug wears off.

Pharmacies in Costa Rica, while otherwise quite liberal, are often stingy about dispensing AA drugs, as well as powerful sedatives and painkillers. Sometimes it seems like they'll just hand you a whole bottle of "dead ebola-derived antibiotics", but "hydrocodone?" "Oh, no, we'll need a Presidential decree for that." Honestly, it has never been a big issue for me, so I don't know exactly what the law is there. I do know this... I go to the pharmacy down the street from my house at least once a month. I make a point of it, just to chat with the pharmacist there. Even if I just buy some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, I make a purchase, I talk with the guy -- ''How are the K*ds? In school again? The grades are good? Yo quiero 5 milligrams Diazepam... Ahhh... diez pastillas, y Hydrocodone... Si... derivative Codeina con acetaminofeno por antitusivo. No... sin acetaminopheno, por favor." Occasionally... "necesito Morfina." Gotta be careful with that one, it raises eyebrows unless you really have someone's trust, and certainly if you ask for it all the time.

In reality, rather than try to jump through all of those hoops for the really good stuff, the best thing is to just to get a good doctor or oral surgeon on your good side. Costa Rica will give you almost anything by injection, with a prescription. It makes perfect sense to me. You can get the powerful stuff, but there's no way that you can walk around selling it. The only problem for me is... I have to pull MY pants down, but the 20-year-old hottie that's giving me the injection gets to keep all of her clothes on. I mean... I'm naked, she's not, and she's giving ME the injection? That's a July 2005 Morazon Park flashback I wish I could erase from my memory. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:35 pm 

The one really important thing with any drug here is: Contrary to popular opinion many meds DO require a script here in CR. The reason it seems to not be the case is over 75% of all farmacias here have a Dr. on staff. You go in tell them what you want, the clerk tells the Dr. and he either just writes the script (and you never know it) or he comes out and talks to you first, then writes the script!!
For example almost all farmacias will give you "V" (the Dr. signs the order/script later or without you knowing it most of the time). The Farmacia with the lowest prices in Costa Rica will not sell you "V" unless you have a script when you walk in!! Why?? they do not have a Dr. on staff!!! The farmacia I am always recommending (the second lowest priced farmacia here), Farmacia del Parque, has 2 Drs, an older gentleman and a young female Dr.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:12 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

go to clinica biblica, consultation is gonna be about 100$. explain the resident doc your situation and they are usually helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:46 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Are you sure that the would be testing for dgs that have a main stream use like Valium? It would seem they would get so many positives across the population that they wouldn't test for that. I worked at a company that employed many truck drivers that had to continuiously be tested. Just to be fair they made and all the top execs submit to drug tests also. I was told it was strictly the drgs that are commonly abused and not drugs that have a prescription use. Prescription meds get abused too but at the time at least they didn't attempt to parse that out.