www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:47 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I apologize if I'm the 900th person to ask this, but this will be my 3rd trip to Costa Rica and I always take the $30 cab ride to HDR...is there any other option?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:19 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

IMO there is only one real option and that is puravidatransport. He's the only driver I ever use. Reliable shows up on time speaks English and if ur nice might actually have a complimentary ice cold bottle of water waiting for u

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:57 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I always used PVT. He is reliable and will be there on time when you need it. I never used OLD because I got PVT. And as long as PVT is available, i dont look or need another one for my transportation. Saving a few bucks by catching a bus or red taxi is not my thing because safety is my utmost priority when on vacation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:42 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

How do I find out about the pura vida transport?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:38 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

jeffersonw7 wrote:
How do I find out about the pura vida transport?

puravidatransport.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:55 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

jeffersonw7 wrote:
I apologize if I'm the 900th person to ask this, but this will be my 3rd trip to Costa Rica and I always take the $30 cab ride to HDR...is there any other option?

Might want to use One Lucky Dogg. I have a friend coming in next week and set up a pickup. Since he is a new customer, he was quoted $15. That included free beer and a free cell phone to use. His ad is on the CRT specials section.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:39 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

jeffersonw7 wrote:

Another option might be to take the bus. If you are on a tight budget and have a lot of time, the public bus is not a bad way of going. Walk out of the terminal and to the main highway. Take a right and you will see a bus stop on the right. When a bus pulls up, just say San Jose. They will either say si or no. Some of the buses go to Alejuela first and then to San Jose. Get on the bus and get going. For about $1 you will get to San Jose, Alejuela bus stop, close to Coca Cola bus terminal. From there it's just a short 2 mil taxi ride to the HDR. So now you have $5 invested. Great way to get where you want to go and not spend much money. Have fun on your trip.

Add a little spice to you life.This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No "Sex tourism or travel" promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided any compensation for this hopefully entertaining contribution. Any posts regarding any event or hotel item are just my humble opinions only.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:15 pm 

One Lucky Dogg wrote:
jeffersonw7 wrote:

Another option might be to take the bus. If you are on a tight budget and have a lot of time, the public bus is not a bad way of going. Walk out of the terminal and to the main highway. Take a right and you will see a bus stop on the right. When a bus pulls up, just say San Jose. They will either say si or no. Some of the buses go to Alejuela first and then to San Jose. Get on the bus and get going. For about $1 you will get to San Jose, Alejuela bus stop, close to Coca Cola bus terminal. From there it's just a short 2 mil taxi ride to the HDR. So now you have $5 invested. Great way to get where you want to go and not spend much money. Have fun on your trip.

It's the Tuasa bus(red & white). If it has a directo sign, it will take you non-stop to the Tuasa terminal on ave. 2 between calle 12 & 14. The terminal is just west of mercado central.

cheers,
Attila

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:29 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I usually take the bus into town. It is almost as fast as a taxi. Once you get downtown, you can catch a taxi, or walk to the HDR area. If you are worried about security or if you have a lot of bags, take a taxi. I have never used either, buy both Puravida and One Lucky Dog both get great reviews on this blog. I will probably use one of them in October when I bring a female friend with me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:04 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

http://www.shuttlebus.co.cr/

"Interbus", mentioned many times on this site, current price $ 14.25 from Airport to Mona Lisa. Safe, dependable, there will be a guy standing outside of the arrival area with your name on a placard. He calls a waiting driver and you are off and running. I have used them over 30 times without a hitch. My first trip if I remember right the cost was $6.50 but that was a few years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:10 pm 

It's a tradeoff of speed versus cost.

If you want as fast as possible to your hotel, arrange for a private driver. As soon as you leave the terminal and spot him, you're off to the garage to get the car and you're off.

With Interbus, it's about half the price as the private driver, but you will have to wait for the van to come pick you up after the guy with the clipboard calls them. It's usually anywhere from 5-15 minutes, but I have waited over 30 minutes a couple of times when the bus was stuck in "traffic" on the way to the airport. Funny thing is that on the way into town, the traffic to the airport magically disappeared. And a couple of times I had to wait for other passangers on my flight. So we wait 10-15 minutes and they usually don't show anyway. :lol:

The other thing is that it's only a decision you need to make when you're arriving alone. if you have anybody with you, it's a no-brainer; private driver. Interbus charges per passanger whereas private driver charges per trip (no matter how many people).

Plus, for a newbie, an English-speaking driver who can give you some tips/advice on girls, safety, etc is a big plus IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:16 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Reliable ones I have run into:

PVT (i realize i'm just reinforcing what others have here)

Martin from the Sportmens Lodge -- very cool guy, always on time

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:14 pm 

Until he had his serious accident, I would suggest Pops from Pop's tours. He is a very informative person and helpful to newbies with his knowledge. I haven't heard any updates on whether he is is back up and running as before.

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:00 pm 

Kb9ora wrote:
Until he had his serious accident, I would suggest Pops from Pop's tours. He is a very informative person and helpful to newbies with his knowledge. I haven't heard any updates on whether he is is back up and running as before.

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

i know you mean well but Pops is not a driver for transportation from the airport.
and he does not do newbie walk abouts since being hit by a motorcycle. at least thats what he told me last week.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:13 pm 

I know you mean well but Pops is not a driver for transportation from the airport.
and he does not do newbie walk abouts since being hit by a motorcycle. at least thats what he told me last week.[/quote]

I'm seeing more and more of Pop's lately. Looks like he's on the comeback trail. Getting around a little better now he tells me. Here's hoping he will be resuming those tours soon. I hear he's the best.

Add a little spice to you life.This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No "Sex tourism or travel" promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided any compensation for this hopefully entertaining contribution. Any posts regarding any event or hotel item are just my humble opinions only.