All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Trump effect on CR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:02 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Great article on QCostarica.com on the trump effect on CR

http://qcostarica.com/the-trump-effect-on-costa-rica/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:14 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Only good can come out of this. Remember, he is not anti-immigration, he is anti-illegal immigration!

CostaReeker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:33 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

and people will likely have more discretionary income to spend
i think and hope for everyone that things pick up
thread has massive potential to go sideways btw :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:55 pm 

What a miracle that Trump won. Our country needs to get back to being pro business and get rid of the long term handouts and be responsible for the money that taxpayers pay in. I for one and very happy America stood up to the Clinton Machine and cut off its power supply.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:47 pm 

the most important thing will be the effect on the currency, the mexican peso has been in free fall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:27 am 

Ilv4play wrote:
What a miracle that Trump won. Our country needs to get back to being pro business and get rid of the long term handouts and be responsible for the money that taxpayers pay in. I for one and very happy America stood up to the Clinton Machine and cut off its power supply.

Amen Brother!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:22 pm 

I have lived here for 11 years and love it. But I have never understood the rational of Costa Rica's import taxes. They charge 40 to75% tax on almost all imported items. And this includes some of the highest taxes being on items they do not or cannot produce in country. Therefore, often it is not a tax on items that would be competing with locally produced items. And now they are worried that Trump might impose a 35% tax on items coming from Costa Rica to the USA! :roll:

And I know that the high import taxes are their way of generating much of their revenue, but as is so often the case, especially in Latin countries, it is a tax designed to benefit the rich the most (they do not pay nearly as much in taxes as they would have to if the government was more dependent on other forms of taxes (income or business taxes). And it keeps the poor "down" and makes it almost impossible for them to buy many imported items. And everyone, whether they are living on minimum wage (often less than $100 a week) or make $1000 a week (or more) pays the same percentage tax when buying an imported item. A 32 inch cheap, off brand TV costs around $300 here (even in Walmart!). A car that can be bought for $20,000 in the States will cost around $35000 here.

In talking to many Ticos here it was very evident they, for the most part, were very pro Clinton! Why?? Though they seldom would say it nor admit to it, it was their fear that Trump would cut off the flow of aid, assistance, support, and giveaways to Costa Rica. They had no concept as to the real Clinton nor Trump. It was based solely on their fear of loosing the freebies!!!! And I am sure this is/was the case in most countries of the world!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:22 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Wow, people seem to forget what happened in September 2008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:26 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Let's put thing in perspective. I'm a fan of neither, but Trump was very vague with his plan. I'll give him a chance but I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:32 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

http://qcostarica.com/oscar-arias-on-tr ... candidate/

The ex president of costa rica has opined !!!

IMHO this guy is possibly confused. He presided over a country that imposes high import duties, as Bang Bang pointed out, instead of encouraging small manufacturing startups to create jobs in the country. Foreign money pours into Costa Rica to build high rises that sit fairly empty, and the drug problem is getting worse.
The public health system is very crowded, and the infrastructure is riddled with potholes. Illegal immigration from the north is rampant.
Everything Trump has pointed out and proposes to fix, exists right here in CR.

I just don't understand his point of view

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:18 pm 

Rico1040 wrote:
http://qcostarica.com/oscar-arias-on-trump-the-u-s-chose-the-most-ignorant-candidate/

The ex president of costa rica has opined !!!

IMHO this guy is possibly confused. He presided over a country that imposes high import duties, as Bang Bang pointed out, instead of encouraging small manufacturing startups to create jobs in the country. Foreign money pours into Costa Rica to build high rises that sit fairly empty, and the drug problem is getting worse.
The public health system is very crowded, and the infrastructure is riddled with potholes. Illegal immigration from the north is rampant.
Everything Trump has pointed out and proposes to fix, exists right here in CR.

I just don't understand his point of view

The same Arias who recently said Ticos are stupid (just before he was expected to run again - most Ticos think he's spent the money he'd stolen).

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:57 pm 

The one thing most Ticos will admit to about themselves is "they do an even worse job of electing the right person for president than we (USA) do. Virtually every president CR has had during the last 100 years has been a total crook and many have been convicted of wrong doing,

As for Rico1040's commit about the drug problem getting worse, he may or may not be correct. If you base that opinion solely of the number of drug related arrests and the drug related shootings (between different drug gangs) it is easy to say that it is getting worse. But a big part of that is due to the formation in 2014 of a special police division dedicated to drug enforcement and also to an on going war between the different drug gangs, especially those located in the Limon area. The Colombian cartels also seems to be attempting to ship a much larger amount of their product thru CR on its way to the States; or at the least, the police here in CR are doing a much better job of intercepting the Colombian drugs.

I will say this: At times I do not think there is a young person over the age of about 12 here that is not smoking grass on a regular basis. But most of the arrests recently have involved cocaine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:01 pm 

What ever happened to NO POLITICS here.. regardless of what country?

The election is over please .. I have had enough

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:41 pm 

costareeker wrote:
Ilv4play wrote:

Amen Brother!!

LMAO :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:43 pm 

We have ZERO knowledge of Trumps Latin American policy. ZERO.
An immigration policy notwithstanding.