www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: owning a handgun legally
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:53 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

DO you have to be a citizen if you move to Costa Rica to get a permit to own a handgun legally?

If you can get one and a burglar breaks into your home and comes at you can you shoot him?

In Florida where I live we have a strong castle doctrine and if a burglar in your home weather you rent or own comes at you can shoot him even if he is unarmed.

If he is running out the door to the outside with his hands up and you shoot him in the back then you are in trouble of course.

If you can own a gun can you have hollow points?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:31 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

There are a number of expat forums. And CR law sites.

If you want to live in CR full time as anything other than a permanent tourist (leave every 90 days and return) then you have to be a temporary resident for three years, then apply for permanent residence.

Residents can own guns. Your other questions are best addressed with a CR attorney.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:15 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:29 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

If you are a resident and pass a series of exams and tests you can have a handgun and sometimes a carry permit. A carry permit now comes with the right to have a gun. Every couple of years it has to be renewed. Normally you can have 3 handguns. I had my last application to register my last handgun and renewal of my permit rejected as I had allowed a burglar to steal a pistol from my house. Strangely enough the pistol has been recovered by the OIJ but they won't let me have it because I allowed it to be stolen. If I get it back i'd have 4 and be illegal for that. And basically you can't shoot somebody unless they have a bigger gun than you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:39 am 

tom_kat wrote:
And basically you can't shoot somebody unless they have a bigger gun than you.

That makes perfect sense.... in BIZARRO world. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:34 pm 

tom_kat wrote:
If you are a resident and pass a series of exams and tests you can have a handgun and sometimes a carry permit. A carry permit now comes with the right to have a gun. Every couple of years it has to be renewed. Normally you can have 3 handguns. I had my last application to register my last handgun and renewal of my permit rejected as I had allowed a burglar to steal a pistol from my house. Strangely enough the pistol has been recovered by the OIJ but they won't let me have it because I allowed it to be stolen. If I get it back i'd have 4 and be illegal for that. And basically you can't shoot somebody unless they have a bigger gun than you.

My thoughts on that subject so I don't waste a nanosecond contemplating imbecilic laws when my life is threatened...I'd rather be explaining myself to a judge than St. Peter... :mrgreen: