www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:26 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

What's all that bs below got to do with the use of world wide banned pesticides like DDT?

http://scorecard.goodguide.com/chemical ... ame=brpest : all of the chemicals on that list are banned or severely restricted in the USA. They are not in Costa Rica, and even if they were, there is no enforcement "wing" of the "democratic government" to patrol and monitor the importation; sales; use; etc. of the poisons.

Graywolf69, you apparently know dick about EPA, USDA, and other USA entities, that while not perfect, sure do a far better job in keeping my food supply free of the DDT that's on all those tomatoes and bananas you're munching on in CR.

Now, there are a couple of hippie organic food shops in and around San Jose which I trust, but I'm not letting the bulk of this rabble know where they are! :P :P :lol: :lol:

I think you read what you want to read and interpret as you see fit because you're a rather timid poster; never quite sure what you're thinking, let alone feeling, and the board is still, pretty much, a new toy for you and you are making a rather feeble effort to "make cyber buddies" and "support" your prior mentor (cough). Let me know how that works out for you further on down the road.

This thread isn't about me. I answered the guy's question relative to where would you live in SJO.....my reply was, in essence, NOWHERE.....don't even move to the country...... It's others who are trying to place the spotlight on me. Let it shine baby....let it shine..... :P

Graywolf69 wrote:
steven1,
you apparently don't know much about farming in the US. Pesticides, preservatives. Even fruits and vegetables being sprayed with chemicals to make them look better. You ever see what apples look like in most grocery stores. Sprayers going through fruit trees and rows of vegetables being sprayed with pesticides. Cattle being fed pesticide and chemical laced grain and chemicals(growth hormones) to fatten them up.
I think you see what you want to see. In your case, the worst. I think you bitch if got hung by a new rope.

"Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the over-compensations for misery. And, of course, stability isn't nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand."
- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Ch. 16

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:30 am 

Steven1 wrote:
JazzboCR wrote:
EDIT IN: Insightful is not the same as inciteful. Have a nice day.
Wrong again: https://www.google.com/search?q=insightful (although incite and insight are indeed different words; you use urine to incite and isn't working so well; especially when your peeing on your own shoes. :!:

Adding to the resume, obviously: Now 2nd/3rd grade school spell checker and word changer. Insight is something acquired when self reflection takes place. When one is incapable of same, one is incapable of any manner of insight. :P :P

So Steve0 i guess you don't want to join the "Jazzbro Isn't Annoying nor Irrelevant and Doesn't Irritate Me Club," eh? :lol:

I have a nice photo of the three of us together taken at the SL by Spankme somewhere. I have to find it it and put it up in the photo section here... Wherever THAT is ! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:15 pm 

Phoenix Rising wrote:
So Steve0 i guess you don't want to join the "Jazzbro Isn't Annoying nor Irrelevant and Doesn't Irritate Me Club," eh? :lol:

:shock: Heck no! Sign me up for a Charter Membership: Lifetime :!: :!: :!: :arrow:

"Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the over-compensations for misery. And, of course, stability isn't nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand."

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:44 pm 

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:32 pm 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Steven1 wrote:
Phoenix Rising wrote:

:shock: Heck no! Sign me up for a Charter Membership: Lifetime :!: :!: :!: :arrow:

Show you what a mensch I am--I'll pay his dues. Oh, and about not giving out the location of organic markets in SJO--I thought the essence of this Board was sharing useful info--for shame, Bro.
References to try:
http://www.cheapfoodhere.com/groceries/ ... costa-rica
http://www.happycow.net/north_america/c ... /san_jose/
Have an nice eco-friendly day.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:14 pm 

NoMoreCien wrote:
Is SJ my final destination for retirement? I don't know. I'm doing research and wanted varied responses to the OP. Posting on CRT seems like a good idea. Getting responses from people on the ground will give me an idea of the different areas of SJ. My needs at this point is not important. I want the view point of the respondents without considering my needs.

Jazz, the rooftop at the embassy is unavailable. They said something about the rooftop houses sensitive equipment for their continuing observation of the Chinese embassy...gathering info so they can find a decent chino restaurant in SJ(no luck so far) :shock:

I don't know if it's still there, there's a great Korean restaurant off of paseo colon, facing KFC it's the street to the right, go down 2 blocks on the right side, great hot food. I've eaten there many times and never unhappy, last visit was 2009 so not sure if still there, it's right by the Peruvian restaurant and across from Oasis.

Many a time I would build up an appetite pounding one (or two!) at the Oasis, build up an appetite and go feast on their Korean barbeque. If you like HOT :o Asian food, they foot the bill.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:27 pm 

Dawg! The fisticuffs and expletives are flying! Steven, I'm not picking on you but you said CR is undesirable without much explanation, a little report on their economic growth (Do we care?) and the poor sanitation level and some inference they use strong pesticides. Ok, perhaps true but do things things dramatically affect us?

Perhaps you can give some serious explanation of why you think CR is undesirable so we can debate these issues.

If you're upper middle class or rich, I agree, retiring to CR may not be the best choice but if you are on a limited budget like Bang, I think it's an excellent choice. He says he gets by on an income of about $1700 per month. I currently am in the USA with more than double that income and I barely pay my bills and sock away a modest savings and manage a 1x a year visit to CR. If anyone is living on his income in the USA they're fighting their cat for the box of "Little Friskies" bought on sale and worrying their RV that they live in gets a flat tire...

I lived in Sabana Oeste for 2 years, 2007-2009 a short walk to Escazu. I worked running an internet gambling site earning a fat paycheck for CR, $1800 per month. I rented a gorgeous furnished 2/2 with w/d and dishwasher for $550 and cut expenses by getting a room mate I could trust. I chose not to get a car and walked, rode buses and took cabs everywhere cheap. I typically pounded a couple ho's every week and returned home (S Florida) every 90 days. I ate at many a cheap but delicious tico soda and also cooked for myself having grown up in a family restaurant. I never drank out of the faucet but I don't do it here in the US either.

If you don't have a lot of money and a big loving family that wants you around, why stay in the USA? How many retired single men living in the USA on Bang's income can claim they are truly happy about their life and banging sexy 20 year olds weekly? None I suspect.

I used to be a corp exec working for Lehman Brothers bringing down the big bucks and working a mind numbing stressful 60+ hours a week so I could have a sexy hot car, penthouse with ocean view, expensive clothes, fancy jewelry etc., etc. When Lehman crashed and I lost everything I was stunned and moved to CR for an adventure, my original plan was to stay about 2 or 3 months, I loved it so much I stayed two years. It's a simple life on that small income but enjoyable and the stress gauge is on low.

I've got about 2 years to go before I turn 62 and plan on retiring back to CR. I will have a modest savings and an income a little more Bang, uncomfortable in the USA but pleasant in CR. Throw in getting laid twice a week by hot sexy 20 something Latinas and enjoying great weather and pleasant people plus CRT and other monger pals. Yes, it may be superficial but it's adventurous and fun. I would have preferred to have stayed married, grow old with my loving spouse, surround myself with grandchildren and Ch*ldren and saved a small fortune but it didn't turn out like that for me. What to do? Costa Rica works for me, it may not be for everyone but for those of us who overlook the bad, the good is really quite good.

I was discussing retiring here with a friend of mine and he pointed out the shortfalls but I said, yes CR does have these problems but let's imagine we were born and raised in Costa Rica. Would you want to retire in the USA where you have to have about twice the income to live the lifestyle you want, and you don't get laid twice a week, maybe not even twice a year by hot luscious 20 something year old latinas ? Nuff said !!! :mrgreen: :twisted:

One final note, I've seen many 3 and 4 bedroom gorgeous luxury homes for rent for $1000 to $1500 in Sabana and Escazu, rather than getting a one bedroom flat by myself I am thinking of getting 2 room mates I can trust (maybe we could all get secure locks on our bedroom doors) and live in luxury on modest incomes. Bang, if you're interested 2 years from now....let's talk !!! :twisted: :D :mrgreen: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:40 pm 

[quote="Netgems"]Dawg! If anyone is living on his income in the USA they're fighting their cat for the box of "Little Friskies" bought on sale and worrying their RV that they live in gets a flat tire...

Yes, it may be superficial but it's adventurous and fun. [/quote]
It's not news to anyone here that 99+% of humanity live, by any reasonable definition, superficial lives. That guy wasn't wrong when he said "Life is nasty, brutish and short." You don't have to be a great artist or deep thinker, you just have to beat the odds by luck or by skill. If you can also find adventure and fun, you're leagues ahead of the game. Relax, celebrate, luxuriate. This ain't some feel-good BS; it's data-driven.

That first quote has the makings of a good song...you the one to write it (friendly challenge)?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:53 am 

Steven1 wrote:
all of the chemicals on that list are banned or severely restricted in the USA. They are not in Costa Rica

Let me be blunt--the above is a flat-out lie and the Membroid should know better. Not a selective picking of facts or ignoring the inconvenient--a lie, as even casual research will prove. Why he needs to slander CR on this is beyond me (and CR does have severe problems with waste-water [non]treatment and other issues), but in this he's just wrong.: http://www.chem.unep.ch/pops/pops_inc/p ... TILLO.html Let the revels commence...

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:36 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Steven 1,
My question is if you are so down on Costa Rica why do you even follow and post on a board about CR?

Red

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:56 pm 

Netgems wrote:
Dawg! The fisticuffs and expletives are flying! Steven, I'm not picking on you but you said CR is undesirable without much explanation, a little report on their economic growth (Do we care?) and the poor sanitation level and some inference they use strong pesticides. Ok, perhaps true but do things things dramatically affect us?

Perhaps you can give some serious explanation of why you think CR is undesirable so we can debate these issues.

If you're upper middle class or rich, I agree, retiring to CR may not be the best choice but if you are on a limited budget like Bang, I think it's an excellent choice. He says he gets by on an income of about $1700 per month. I currently am in the USA with more than double that income and I barely pay my bills and sock away a modest savings and manage a 1x a year visit to CR. If anyone is living on his income in the USA they're fighting their cat for the box of "Little Friskies" bought on sale and worrying their RV that they live in gets a flat tire...

I lived in Sabana Oeste for 2 years, 2007-2009 a short walk to Escazu. I worked running an internet gambling site earning a fat paycheck for CR, $1800 per month. I rented a gorgeous furnished 2/2 with w/d and dishwasher for $550 and cut expenses by getting a room mate I could trust. I chose not to get a car and walked, rode buses and took cabs everywhere cheap. I typically pounded a couple ho's every week and returned home (S Florida) every 90 days. I ate at many a cheap but delicious tico soda and also cooked for myself having grown up in a family restaurant. I never drank out of the faucet but I don't do it here in the US either.

If you don't have a lot of money and a big loving family that wants you around, why stay in the USA? How many retired single men living in the USA on Bang's income can claim they are truly happy about their life and banging sexy 20 year olds weekly? None I suspect.

I used to be a corp exec working for Lehman Brothers bringing down the big bucks and working a mind numbing stressful 60+ hours a week so I could have a sexy hot car, penthouse with ocean view, expensive clothes, fancy jewelry etc., etc. When Lehman crashed and I lost everything I was stunned and moved to CR for an adventure, my original plan was to stay about 2 or 3 months, I loved it so much I stayed two years. It's a simple life on that small income but enjoyable and the stress gauge is on low.

I've got about 2 years to go before I turn 62 and plan on retiring back to CR. I will have a modest savings and an income a little more Bang, uncomfortable in the USA but pleasant in CR. Throw in getting laid twice a week by hot sexy 20 something Latinas and enjoying great weather and pleasant people plus CRT and other monger pals. Yes, it may be superficial but it's adventurous and fun. I would have preferred to have stayed married, grow old with my loving spouse, surround myself with grandchildren and Ch*ldren and saved a small fortune but it didn't turn out like that for me. What to do? Costa Rica works for me, it may not be for everyone but for those of us who overlook the bad, the good is really quite good.

I was discussing retiring here with a friend of mine and he pointed out the shortfalls but I said, yes CR does have these problems but let's imagine we were born and raised in Costa Rica. Would you want to retire in the USA where you have to have about twice the income to live the lifestyle you want, and you don't get laid twice a week, maybe not even twice a year by hot luscious 20 something year old latinas ? Nuff said !!! :mrgreen: :twisted:

One final note, I've seen many 3 and 4 bedroom gorgeous luxury homes for rent for $1000 to $1500 in Sabana and Escazu, rather than getting a one bedroom flat by myself I am thinking of getting 2 room mates I can trust (maybe we could all get secure locks on our bedroom doors) and live in luxury on modest incomes. Bang, if you're interested 2 years from now....let's talk !!! :twisted: :D :mrgreen: :lol:

Net Gems,

Interesting story and thanks for your honesty. I know two people who got sacked by the Enron downfall. They got back on their feet, but really it was like starting over.

Concerning your successful stay in La Sabana for two years. I agree that one person can live here for around $2k per month. You might even throw in a chica or two per week. However, your options to do other things like buy a car, take vacations at the beach, and living like an American will be limited.

A tico can live on $500-$1,000 per month, but can you live like that? I usually tell people that you need about $3,000 per month in household income to be comfortable. If you are like me, and you have a wife and K*ds, then you need to double that number.

That is my experience in CR. Its not that cheap anymore. I know many gringos who came down with the wrong expectations. They struggled and ended up leaving.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:27 pm 

What I wrote is ".....They are not in Costa Rica". While there may be a law, there are also a lot of winks. :wink: :wink:

The absurd document posted was written by a Ch*ld who was paid to type and publish same. The fact there is a law in CR means 100% nothing. Do you actually think that the massive stockpile on hand is not being used? Piffle.....what manner of stupidity is this? We're posting about Costa Rica and the real Costa Rica....not the Rose Colored Glasses view which are worn by purported mongers who, in the final analysis, really know very little about just exactly what is what in this Central Amerian banana republic (if that).

"Organochlorine residues in human population

"High levels of DDT and metabolites have been demostrated in agricultural areas and malaria control areas. Table 4 show the residues found in human milk and adipose tissue. The values are among the highest found in different parts of the world (Umaña & Constenla, 1984; Barquero & Thiel, 1986 and Barquero & Constenla, 1986)."

Dated stats which don't really mean very much, but from the very document the poster provided! :lol: :lol: :P

JazzboCR wrote:
Steven1 wrote:
all of the chemicals on that list are banned or severely restricted in the USA. They are not in Costa Rica

Let me be blunt--the above is a flat-out lie and the Membroid should know better. Not a selective picking of facts or ignoring the inconvenient--a lie, as even casual research will prove. Why he needs to slander CR on this is beyond me (and CR does have severe problems with waste-water [non]treatment and other issues), but in this he's just wrong.: http://www.chem.unep.ch/pops/pops_inc/p ... TILLO.html Let the revels commence...

Last edited by Steven1 on Sat May 17, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:28 pm 

Does the truth hurt or empower?

Red wrote:
Steven 1,
My question is if you are so down on Costa Rica why do you even follow and post on a board about CR?

Red

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:34 am 

Rationalize away. It doesn't change reality. I enjoy my Tico friends....and they're the "regular guy" just trying to make a life....they're not the suit and tie wearing robber barons and they too understand the continuing demise of their own homeland and have little or no ability to really do much about it.

What you have exposed is a lost life style that was fraught with one error after another. "Making" that kind of moola and not having much of anything to show for it speaks for itself. Me? I've always believed in paying myself first and long ago; I mean long, long ago got hip to the fact the fancy rides; swanky cribs; spend, spend, spend would lead to nowhere and began to adopt my Daddy's family motto: "Son, we don't spend in this family; we count." I didn't like that thought modality when a little one, but now I am so glad (and lucky I suppose) I really had a quality mentor when it came to moving around the ducats.

Let me quote the resident wordsmith from a post of yesteryear. Greengo noted:

"Dont worry about your 50 grand....it wont be a consideration long... ....dont sell or refinance your house...dont buy any kind of dwelling in cr...dont go thru the hassle of becoming a resident expecting a magical transformation and feeling of belonging...ticos and colombians with the exception of those who have been trained or educated in the states dont have a clue...theyll resent and eventually begin to despise you because you expect results and accountability in dealing with corrupt authority and slovenly idiocy...you will think your 1900 dollars is a pitttance...they will try and make you think it is more so..all the while trimming the crust off your bread in ever bigger slices...dont worry ..all the advice and planning will evaporate as your wonderful new honey and family living in squalor and run by sophisticated expats strip you to the bone while youre still reeling with culture shock...to survive and prosper .... become a benevolent dictator..people will respect you and feel comfortable with a familiar overiding direct authority figure in dealing with everday life..everything from a stolen legalized almost new suv to a legal residence can be be bought for cheap if you can in good conscience with gleefull larceny and tico think "get with the program" ...people who have lived here 30 or 40 yrs with tico families will tell you...itd be a great place except for the ticos....asking about which place is cheaper is like asking whats better ..drinking a cup of clorox or russian roulette with a springfield armory...learning spanish and being able to wrap your head around the above least negative things youll encounter in central and south america is a good start ...spend a few months...fuckeverythinginsight....go ...home ...chuckle over all the running dogs whining and begging over big flabby worn out waddling gringapussy....repeat..repeat....repeat..

"Most guys "git it" about 2 weeks into making the actual move..by that time if they have any assets worth having theres a blood sucking chica on theirass immediately..who then attempts to isolate and convince him that shes in dire straits and really just wants to take care of him(and the 12 or so rfmers online) as he ages If youre sick or dying and just want to pass away without giving ashit about proving that your life hasnt been a waste and failure to a bunch of grasping greedy incompetent idiotic morons who cant wipe theirass with both hands in banana land or waking up in mid life crisis and finding you have been sleepwalking thriough life wondering why goofy greedy gringas with an agenda arent concerned about your happiness and welfare like mom was..and decide to rescue your projected image of someone lacking the guts and intellect to make it in a third world shithole like cr... or maybe thinking youre going to tear it up after seeing the general population of ticos making down syndromers look like einstein on meth..youll find lots of latents and gays spurned by the judges lawyers and doctors who subsidized them until they become long in the tooth .. too old to hook a live one and too young to "work" flee to sanctuary and anonymity in cr...many to put distance between killing and dismembering ex wives..people from all over the world evading warrants and living in condo complexes in escazu emerging only at night to flee or on a stretcher and home or to argentinas recoleta cemetary for burial..other than cheap pu*sy if youre paying tico rates..its a great place to drift and dream ..floating on a shimmering multi hued transluscent leaf in a monochromatic dream down a reeking river of shitbrained theiving asslicking judges politicians cops realtors taxi drivers..it used to be a haven for people with a little money or a 36 per cent a yr return from the brothers to act and live like imaginary gentry until it became too dangerous to look like you have anything worth stealing and they fled back to a room or pension after the politicians and olligarchs made a big deal of shutting down the brothers ..having gutted the place of all but token maintenance dollars years earlier.. its the disneyland ..the vegas of bait and switch ..a wonderland of Ben Dovers wildest heavy metals infused diet of ddt saturated gomers bred for passivity and a drunken incestuous propensity for delusions of equating "pure life" with blundering through a span of time with uncle sugar and the gringos wiping their assfrom birth to death in a microcephalic revery of self importance and wondering why theres no place to connect to cable on TV trays "

The inner turmoil and "soul searching" being done by the poster below is rather obvious. 360° of opinion is what one requires to make an informed decision. If a member doesn't like what I post; my posting style; or my general outlook, I invite them to simply block me and it will be as if I never existed. None of my posts will show and the show will go on. But it won't change the hard, bare knuckled facts about "living" or life in pairodice. As if.....

Go ahead on, Mr. Netgems and make the move. Report back in two weeks :lol: :P

Netgems wrote:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:10 pm 

I hate when musicians fight.

"emerging only at night to flee or on a stretcher and home or to argentinas recoleta cemetery"

I love walking up Junin and stopping by my favorite privado for an $80 completo then pay homage with flowers at Evita's Tomb"!! YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next