www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:15 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I'd like to know if an indoor antenna will pick up any TV stations on a new, flat screen TV in Coronado.

Coronado is kinda high above San Jose, which should be good. But I don't know how strong the TV transmitters are in San Jose........ and how directional they may be.

I can bring some gear from the States if it'll work. Is it reasonable to expect a few clear stations on a new TV in Coronado WITHOUT a cable-TV subscription :?:

Thanks if you know.

If you don't know, thanks for any referral to where I can get some answers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:15 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Rac wrote:
I'd like to know if an indoor antenna will pick up any TV stations on a new, flat screen TV in Coronado.

Coronado is kinda high above San Jose, which should be good. But I don't know how strong the TV transmitters are in San Jose........ and how directional they may be.

I can bring some gear from the States if it'll work. Is it reasonable to expect a few clear stations on a new TV in Coronado WITHOUT a cable-TV subscription :?:

Thanks if you know.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:29 pm 

Seabreeze............

You wanna tell me sumpthin' :?: :?: :?: :roll: :roll:

Your reply was empty.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:32 pm 

Rac wrote:
Seabreeze............

You wanna tell me sumpthin' :?: :?: :?: :roll: :roll:

Your reply was empty.

Talk to Rick at Wiseash's place. He lives there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:57 pm 

Rac wrote:

Thanks if you know.

Rac, a couple of years ago most of North America switched OTA (over the air) broadcast TV from analogue to Digital, requiring a separate convertor or digital ATSC tuner built in the TV. I have no idea what format CR is broadcasting in. Your new TV probably has an ATSC tuner so you should have everything covered.

Devo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:05 pm 

Thanks Devo. The new TV will have a digital tuner.

But I'm trying to understand something about indoor antennas and signal strength in Coronado ......... to get some stations without cable service if that's possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:24 am 

Rac, head over to Costco and look for one of these at just under $40.00 if anything will get you Analog and HD channels this little baby will. When your TV give you the option to select Cable or Air choose Air, then do an auto scan. You should pick up everything in the valley that is broadcast that a tv can pick up. I Cannot post a pic in this thread for some reason so here is a link to it

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/ ... r2=piv-web

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:33 pm 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Ilv4play wrote:
Rac, head over to Costco and look for one of these at just under $40.00 if anything will get you Analog and HD channels this little baby will. When your TV give you the option to select Cable or Air choose Air, then do an auto scan. You should pick up everything in the valley that is broadcast that a tv can pick up. I Cannot post a pic in this thread for some reason so here is a link to it

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/ ... r2=piv-web

Bro Ilv4play's personal recommendation should be good enough but for tech specs, go here (list price is $100 so much below that is a good deal): http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-FL5500A- ... uctDetails << Winegard has been making antennas and such since the original rabbit ears days--they know what they are doing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:22 pm 

Just make sure you buy the AMPED one as you want an amplified signal. The Amped one has a 20db gain. You can tell it is amplified because it will have a power plug using either USB or a wall transformer. The one I showed in the picture link has a USB end but they give you a USB Adapter for 110V

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:05 am 

Thanks for the antenna intel. I got a MOHU LEAF 50 from Amazon.com for about $40. It's amplified, and similar to the Winegard.

After I bought the TV in the States, I found out that CR has adopted the South American standard for digital TV signals, after a long debate, rather than the standard used in the States. I don't think that the tuner in the U.S. TV will get CR digital broadcasts. But it should get the CR analog channels........ even with the DTV antenna....... until there are no more analog signals in CR. I think, so far, there is only one station using digital signals in CR.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:55 pm 

I think the antenna will pick up anything that the tuner is able to decode. The antenna is just a way to get the signal to something that knows what to do with it. Since you purchased an amplified one you should be good to go. Post again after you get it set up and let us know how you did. Personally I have cable because I wanted better internet service to be able to live stream my video feed for my security cameras, and I had to get cable with it, but for 45.00 per month I get higher speed internet and 92 channels of tv.