www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:56 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Actually, no. You've made an interest-free loan to the Feds all year--you're just getting your own back. If you have the stones to save, see any competent tax preparer and adjust your withholdings.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:06 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

good advice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:25 am 

I was pleasantly surprised when the refund appeared in my US checking account a week after my accountant filed my returns electronically. I had read somewhere that the IRS was going to wait until October before sending out refunds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:49 am 

As much as I try as a professional tax guy, some people just love using the IRS as a savings account, and enjoy the refund with a major purchase or a family trip or something similar

A very good idea IMO for those who are not able to save, which is a high majority in the US

BD:

Per IRS web site, and my experiences so far this year, Direct deposit refund are hitting bank accounts in 8 to 9 business days (on average)

You may have read something about all the broke States that are almost bankrupt, I have read many reports about State refunds being delayed. Good news on that is they are forced to pay you interest on delayed refunds over 60 days

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:45 pm 

Interest free loans? As opposed to the high interest paying bank accounts? They must pay what about 0.75% now. That's a cool $7.50 per $1000 of refund per year. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for using the IRS as a piggy bank, I don't think it's a bad idea. It's one way to save without being able to take money out. I do it myself, so I can't judge. Like ES said, most Americans can't save a dime week to week, so this is an alternative. It's nice to get 6k at tax time to pay for that vacation or new car down payment.

I do tax returns during tax season, and I don't have 1 client who tries to break even. Every single one wants a max refund.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:29 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

You don't need to see a tax preparer to adjust your withholdings. Just ask your employer to change your W-4. Withholding more than ~$1000 of what is owed in taxes throughout the year is too much and I don't really see how that is ever a good idea. As Jazzbo said, its an interest free loan to the government.

That is money that could be put into something like a 401k or IRA earning 5% or more throughout the year. Most employers and banks will even do it automatically if you can't be disciplined to put it there yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:58 pm 

Glad to see this Thread has legs with good discussion. I was expecting, "There's that wack Jazzbo again with off-the -wall sh!t."
I usually do it the other way around--I customarily owe about $2200 so an initial big chunk by April 15 and let them bill me for the balance--they are making me the loan. No extra paperwork on my part--they send me a notice, I pay a chunk, they send me a notice...if the notice comes by Certified letter, I pay it in full then. My tax preparer is an Enrolled Agent (the highest status) and he told me this was just fine with no consequences...as long as you don't ignore them--the worst thing you can do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:42 am 

I wonder how much Al Sharpton's tax refund will be this year?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:46 am 

Devo wrote:

...or the Koch brothers? Assuming we're being pissy about it...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:54 am 

JazzboCR wrote:
Devo wrote:

...or the Koch brothers? Assuming we're being pissy about it...

I wasn't aware that the Koch brothers owed the IRS. We do know that the scumbag criminal Sharpton owes close to 5 million.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:37 pm 

I always owe them a lot. So if you pay like 50% by April 15 do they make you pay interest or a penalty when they bill you for the rest. How does that work ?

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:15 pm 

Isra123 wrote:
I always owe them a lot. So if you pay like 50% by April 15 do they make you pay interest or a penalty when they bill you for the rest. How does that work ?

I'm not sure, Bro, but I'll get back to you, hopefully by tomorrow. I've done it but forget the mechanics and technicalities. Any other Bros got the answer?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:22 pm 

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f9465.pdf

Use Form 9465 to request a monthly installment plan if you cannot pay the full amount you owe shown on your tax return (or on a notice we sent you). Most installment agreements meet our streamlined installment agreement criteria. The maximum term for a streamlined agreement is 72 months. In certain circumstances, you can have longer to pay or your agreement can be approved for an amount that is less than the amount of tax you owe. However, before requesting an installment agreement, you should consider other less costly alternatives, such as getting a bank loan or using available credit on a credit card. If you have any questions about this request, call 1-800-829-1040.

Use Form 9465 if you are an individual:

Who owes income tax on Form 1040,

Who is or may be responsible for a Trust Fund Recovery Penalty, or

Who owes employment taxes (for example, as reported on Forms 941, 943, or 940) related to a sole proprietor business that is no longer in operation.

Do not use Form 9465 if:

You can pay the full amount you owe within 120 days (see Can you pay in full within 120 days?),

You want to request an online payment agreement (see Applying online for a payment agreement), or

Your business is still operating and owes employment or unemployment taxes. Instead, call the telephone number on your most recent notice to request an installment agreement.

Guaranteed installment agreement. You are eligible for a guaranteed installment agreement if the tax you owe is not more than $10,000 and:
During the past 5 tax years, you (and your spouse if filing a joint return) have timely filed all income tax returns and paid any income tax due, and have not entered into an installment agreement for payment of income tax;

You agree to pay the full amount you owe within 3 years and to comply with the tax laws while the agreement is in effect; and,

You are financially unable to pay the liability in full when due.

Note: It is the practice of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to grant these installment agreements even if you can pay your liability in full if the tax you owe is not more than $10,000 and you meet the other criteria.
Can you pay in full within 120 days? If you can pay the full amount you owe within 120 days, call 1-800-829-1040 to establish your request to pay in full. If you can do this, you can avoid paying the fee to set up an installment agreement. Instead of calling, you can apply online.
Applying online for a payment agreement. If your balance due is not more than $50,000, you can apply online for a payment agreement instead of filing Form 9465. To do that, go to IRS.gov and enter “Online Payment Agreement” in the “Search” box.
Bankruptcy or offer-in-compromise. If you are in bankruptcy or we have accepted your offer-in-compromise, do not file this form. Instead, call 1-800-829-1040 to get the number of your local IRS Insolvency function for bankruptcy or Technical Support function for offer-in-compromise.
How the Installment Agreement Works

We will usually let you know within 30 days after we receive your request whether it is approved or denied. However, if this request is for tax due on a return you filed after March 31, it may take us longer than 30 days to reply. If we approve your request, we will send you a notice detailing the terms of your agreement and requesting a fee of $120 ($52 if you make your payments by direct debit). However, you may qualify to pay a reduced fee of $43 if your income is below a certain level. The IRS will let you know whether you qualify for the reduced fee. If the IRS does not say you qualify for the reduced fee, you can request the reduced fee using Form 13844, Application For Reduced User Fee For Installment Agreements.

You will also be charged interest and may be charged a late payment penalty on any tax not paid by its due date, even if your request to pay in installments is granted. Interest and any applicable penalties will be charged until the balance is paid in full. To limit interest and penalty charges, file your return on time and pay as much of the tax as possible with your return (or notice). All payments received will be applied to your account in the best interests of the United States.

By approving your request, we agree to let you pay the tax you owe in monthly installments instead of immediately paying the amount in full. In return, you agree to make your monthly payments on time. You also agree to meet all your future tax obligations. This means that you must have enough withholding or estimated tax payments so that your tax obligation for future years is paid in full when you timely file your return. Your request for an installment agreement will be denied if all required tax returns have not been filed. Any refund you are due in a future year will be applied against the amount you owe. If your refund is applied to your balance, you are still required to make your regular monthly installment payment.

Payment methods. You can make your payments by check, money order, credit card, or one of the other payment methods shown next. The fee for setting up an installment agreement for each payment method is also shown.
Payment method Applicable fee
Check, money order, or credit card $120
Direct debit $52
Payroll deduction installment agreement $120
For details on how to pay, see your tax return instructions, visit IRS.gov, or call 1-800-829-1040.
After we receive each payment, we will send you a notice showing the remaining amount you owe, and the due date and amount of your next payment. But if you choose to have your payments automatically withdrawn from your checking account, you will not receive a notice. Your bank statement is your record of payment. We will also send you an annual statement showing the amount you owed at the beginning of the year, all payments made during the year, and the amount you owe at the end of the year.
If you do not make your payments on time or do not pay any balance due on a return you file later, you will be in default on your agreement and we may take enforcement actions, such as the filing of a Notice of Federal Tax Lien or an IRS levy action, to collect the entire amount you owe. To ensure that your payments are made timely, you should consider making them by direct debit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:36 pm 

Thank-you ElS. That has every thing I needed to know and a lot more.
I appreciate it.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:53 pm 

Big-time shout-out to Bro El Silencioso. What I found most valuable was about the various fees and charges levied for the "privilege" of a payment plan AND you promise to never do it again. Unless you are are just that currently cash-strapped but expect big cash after 15 April from somewhere, those fees can eat you up. The more you pony up before Tax Day, the better off you are. I'm going to reconsider my previous actions.
Again, big thanks to the Bro for presenting complete.