www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:48 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

BashfulDwarf wrote:
Orange wrote:
...<lots of wrong shit>...

I'll take my attorney's word for it, bud. Anyone can APPLY for immigrant status. Case-by-case. There are several reasons for acceptance, including childbirth (or adoption), business (B) visas can convert, marriage, certain types of advanced study (F & J)can convert, etc.

My attorney has done K visas for non-immigrants residing in my state. They are handled as if he/she was still in the home country. Provided they can secure the needed documents from afar, they do NOT have to return to their home country for interview.
Yes, it's true. The government will accept a filing fee from anybody. But once they cash the check, they will send a notice of denial. You can only apply for an immigrant visa as family-based or employment-based. There are no other reasons. Childbirth, one of the "examples" you gave, is not a basis for issuing a visa. Did your lawyer tell you that? He must've gotten his degree online.

Regarding the K-1... That is 100% wrong. A K-1 interview has to occur at US embassy/consulate. There are no US embassy/consulates in the US. Why would anybody convert an F-1 to K-1? I think you misunderstood. You would ma

I don't want to keep arguing but what you're writing is just plain wrong. I'm trying to provide accurate information. I don't claim to be an immigration lawyer, but you don't need to be one to know immigration rules and procedures. In fact, most "immigration lawyers" are quacks who know very little about immigration. They are often personal injury lawyers who also do immigration. I have met several people who's cases were delayed for months, up to 2 years due to incompetent lawyers not knowing the law, filing wrongs forms, sending to the wrong offices, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:06 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

This whole story sounds like somebody just wants a trophy wife/girlfriend for 6 months!! Show the young HOT chica off to the ex-wife and work buddies - then after 6 months say it didn't work out and send her back to CR. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:39 pm 

rwelker66 wrote:
This whole story sounds like somebody just wants a trophy wife/girlfriend for 6 months!! Show the young HOT chica off to the ex-wife and work buddies - then after 6 months say it didn't work out and send her back to CR. Just my opinion.

It's not the intention, and if you've read the reasons I have outlined, then you'd see that doing the trophy thing would just be a waste of my money. I have an honest need for a life partner, and so does she. Sure, she can just raise the K*D in CR on her own, and I can deal with my needs on my own, but together we have a better chance of a full and interesting life.

We'll see how it goes. One day at a time.

Last edited by BashfulDwarf on Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:46 pm 

Orange wrote:
You can only apply for an immigrant visa as family-based or employment-based. There are no other reasons. Childbirth, one of the "examples" you gave, is not a basis for issuing a visa. Did your lawyer tell you that? He must've gotten his degree online.

Jeez... you are so full of yourself that it impresses even me.

So, my attorney must have gotten his degree online, huh? Well all that means is he's MORE QUALIFIED THAN YOU! Are we done now, or do you want to continue to give us your interpretation of immigration law?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:11 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

BD, you might want to listen more closely to the counsel of brother Orange. I agree with him that most immigration attorneys here in Florida are worthless and in fact are known to just fatten their pockets by screwing up the paperwork since they also get paid to clean it up.

You may already be aware that you can read and learn the rules yourself by visiting the govt website; Here are links to a few sites that I foud to be informative:
http://www.uscis.gov
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php

Is low self esteem a prerequisite for being a good Ho or is it a result? ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:14 pm 

Lennydo wrote:
BD, you might want to listen more closely to the counsel of brother Orange.

+1

Very good advise Lenny..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:41 pm 

Lennydo wrote:
BD, you might want to listen more closely to the counsel of brother Orange. I agree with him that most immigration attorneys here in Florida are worthless and in fact are known to just fatten their pockets by screwing up the paperwork since they also get paid to clean it up.

You may already be aware that you can read and learn the rules yourself by visiting the govt website; Here are links to a few sites that I foud to be informative:

Lenny, I agree with your assessment of Attorneys, and suggest that it is far more reaching than just Florida. But to suggest to someone that they don't bother with attorney-advice and decide to interpret the law for themselves is, IMHO, not a good thing to do.

I trust my guy, and that is 100% ON ME. Why don't we just wait and see how this thing plays out. I am handling the F-1 on my own, on his suggestion, due to the ease of the process, and that fact that he charges $2,500 to handle it.

Orange might know the K-1 visa process, but what he and I DON'T KNOW fill case-study books in every lawyer's offices across the nation.

I have been advised that the F-1 is a simple and straightforward process. Denials have remedy. Once approved, we have options to convert her status from non-immigrant to immigrant. This is enough for me to move forward.

Now, if it's a train wreck in progress, just sit back and enjoy the show.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:40 pm 

BashfulDwarf wrote:
Lennydo wrote:

Lenny, I agree with your assessment of Attorneys, and suggest that it is far more reaching than just Florida. But to suggest to someone that they don't bother with attorney-advice and decide to interpret the law for themselves is, IMHO, not a good thing to do.

I trust my guy, and that is 100% ON ME. Why don't we just wait and see how this thing plays out. I am handling the F-1 on my own, on his suggestion, due to the ease of the process, and that fact that he charges $2,500 to handle it.

Orange might know the K-1 visa process, but what he and I DON'T KNOW fill case-study books in every lawyer's offices across the nation.

I have been advised that the F-1 is a simple and straightforward process. Denials have remedy. Once approved, we have options to convert her status from non-immigrant to immigrant. This is enough for me to move forward.

Now, if it's a train wreck in progress, just sit back and enjoy the show.

After all these pages of postings and back and forth, I guess it goes without saying BD, that applying for a regular run of the mill tourist visa is out of the question, as it would be denied outright for the many obvious reason not worth enumerating on a posting...

Besides, technically she would not be visiting the U.S. for tourism, strictly speaking, but to visit and hang out kind of indefinitely with her boyfriend, right. So when interviewed at the airport, and pressed on it, she would have to admit it, and we all know that lying or misleading an ICE officer during entry is an absolute no no, punishable by loss of any visa and denial of entry.

Just asking...kind of to take the thinking process back to step 1!

Last edited by bandon843 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:26 pm 

bandon843 wrote:
After all these pages of postings and back and forth, I guess it goes without saying BD, that applying for a regular run of the mill turist visa is out of the question, as it would be denied outright for the many obvious reason not worth enumerating on a posting...

Besides, technically she would not be visiting the U.S. for turism, strictly speaking, but to visit and hang out kind of indefinitely with her boyfriend, right. So when interviewed at the airport, and pressed on it, she would have to admit it, and we all know that lying or misleading an ICE officer during entry is an absolute no no, punishable by loss of any visa and denial of entry.

Just asking...kind of to take the thinking process back to step 1!

Tourist visas can be difficult for single women who don't own property or have a solid career. The gist of the interview is to prove that you will return to your country. A difficult thing to do if you think about it.

The F-1 is a better fit, but as you have stated, there is no mention of a boyfriend. I am a friend to her grandfather, and it is he who asked me to sponsor her. This is the truth ... however there is more backstory that simply doesn't need to come out.

But you are correct in that whatever 'story' you are using to secure both the visa and entry (these are different things), it must be told convincingly, truth or not. You need to be able to explain it from different angles, which is natural if you are speaking the truth.

I AM friends with the grandfather, and he DID ask me to sponsor her, in a letter that was sent to my US address. The same is stated in my letter, as well as his to the visa approver. Again, nothing is ever certain. She is a single mother, and they may feel she is merely on the scrounge for a husband in the US. They can deny it for any reason (and no reason is probably a good enough reason).

That's why I am documenting it for you guys. If something flops, then A) you can help me figure it out, and B) the next chump doing this can avoid it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:29 am 

I can tell you how the tourism visa went for my fiancé. Paid the $160.00 got the appointment she goes in they hand her a green piece of paper and say sorry, Next..... They did not even ask her a question nor let her speak but enough to say thank you, you phucking C*ck sucker. Actually I added those last 4 words. She said it was like a production line and it was all no's. There was a guy that owned property, had a good job, had money in the bank and he wanted to visit family in the states for a family reunion and they still denied him. I think they just rubber stamp most of the applications unless you have some serious money and assets in Costa Rica. So much for her being able to visit and see if she would even want to move to the USA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:48 am 

Regarding the non immigrant to immigrant status change while already in the US:

I was in a relationship with an alien woman with an H1 type work visa.

One day she quit her job. Wasn't happy. :roll:

Her bosses threatenened to notify the govt. Apparently by quitting she became illegal in the country. So... We married. Did the paperwork. She got her temporary green card. Later the permanent one just came in the mail, no other appointment required to determine when her period was or what color her toothbrush was.

So in my personal experience we had no problem to make this change. No lawyers were needed.

Of course later she quit her marriage too. Wasn't happy. :lol:

I have strongly advised BD not to do this. And, that he needs to pay his dues, learn the ropes, learn the culture, learn the language, relearn how to manage a woman. Not a naive, uneducated, poor Ch*ld of 19 years with two Ch*ldren of her own, but a real, mature woman. Any endeavor to have a relationship is a great crapshoot at best, but he is hellbent on this disasterous project, which has practically zero chance of succeding. I know BD a little, and he is a really good guy. This all seems a little selfish but actually it isn't at all. He is genuinely a guy who lives by the golden rule, and is motivated in no small part, i really believe, by (in what he thinks is) the gal's best interests. He is also unfortunately, in a hurry to solve his "loneliness" problem and is unfortunately jumping the gun. It takes YEARS of experience in this thing of ours to have an iota of a chance of succes in a project such as this. Guys like LaD, Orange, and I include myself here, ARE successful in our own unique ways. We are not talking out our asses here or as someone put it, "losers trying to tell another loser how to live his life." He needs to pay better attention, but he is too blinded by his own desires to think clearly and make the only rational choice and NOT go down this path.

I think part of the issue here, is that BD really doesn't care if he is successful. That would be a bonus but it's not the point. He just is bored and wants to do something different than Dr Pepper mongering. Unfortunately though this is a logical inconsistency with genuinely wanting to help the girl out. And in the end he is likely going to "leave bodies" (as someone said in another thread), along his personal path of growth and enlightenment. He will probably be very upset with himself down the road when he realizes this, because he really is a genuinely good guy.

So let's wish him well and get the popcorn a- poppin' :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:34 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

BashfulDwarf wrote:

My needs aren't filled by just mongering or homesteading.

It's her needs that would worry me.

How often does she expect to return to see her relatives? How often are you willing to take her back? You are marrying her family, not just her. I could see this working with the right woman (maybe), but with a homebody with strong ties to CR it could be a disaster in the making.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:14 am 

Phoenix Rising wrote:
I have strongly advised BD not to do this. And, that he needs to pay his dues, learn the ropes, learn the culture, learn the language, relearn how to manage a woman. Not a naive, uneducated, poor Ch*ld of 19 years with two Ch*ldren of her own, but a real, mature woman. Any endeavor to have a relationship is a great crapshoot at best, but he is hellbent on this disasterous project, which has practically zero chance of succeding. I know BD a little, and he is a really good guy. This all seems a little selfish but actually it isn't at all. He is genuinely a guy who lives by the golden rule, and is motivated in no small part, i really believe, by (in what he thinks is) the gal's best interests. He is also unfortunately, in a hurry to solve his "loneliness" problem and is unfortunately jumping the gun. It takes YEARS of experience in this thing of ours to have an iota of a chance of succes in a project such as this. Guys like LaD, Orange, and I include myself here, ARE successful in our own unique ways. We are not talking out our asses here or as someone put it, "losers trying to tell another loser how to live his life." He needs to pay better attention, but he is too blinded by his own desires to think clearly and make the only rational choice and NOT go down this path.

I think part of the issue here, is that BD really doesn't care if he is successful. That would be a bonus but it's not the point. He just is bored and wants to do something different than Dr Pepper mongering. Unfortunately though this is a logical inconsistency with genuinely wanting to help the girl out. And in the end he is likely going to "leave bodies" (as someone said in another thread), along his personal path of growth and enlightenment. He will probably be very upset with himself down the road when he realizes this, because he really is a genuinely good guy.

Very thought provoking for me, and I greatly appreciate such a candid assessment. Thank you for speaking your mind.

I do not believe the 'losers' statement was aimed at the guys who genuinely have experience and are advising (albeit in a non-casually, acerbic, and sometimes downright-rude means). At least, I do not feel that way about them.

As to 'My Great Plan' ... I am 'hurrying' it. I know that. I am 'settling' for this one. But please try to understand, this is more akin to a business deal than a love story. I 'need' to fill a 'vacancy' ... yes this sounds terrible and pathetic. But I am not 'using' this girl. I will be everything she needs in her life (to the best of my abilities). I will give her every opportunity I possibly can to grow, expand, and become self-sufficient. I will open every door I can, and will provide a comfortable and loving environment as possible.

I love mongering, but it is a sideshow for me. I'm on a 'mission', not to find Mrs. Right, but to find someone who's needs I can fill, and who can help me to fill mine. Not sex, or companionship. I 'must' get a female into my life and show stability, or I could be in danger of losing my daughter. I won't let that happen. I will sell my phucking soul to protect her. And if that means taking this hastily committed road, throwing caution to the wind and taking on insane responsibilities, then "Cry Havoc!", because it's gunna get done.

Again, I am being as self-centered as she is in this endeavor. She wants a baby-daddy, and a 'man' in her life. I need the stability of a home life. So our basic goals are the same. There won't be any hatred, or violence or stuff like that. Really, the worst will be she isn't happy. We will do whatever is necessary to solve that, even if it means making a comfortable place back in CR for her.

Any pain is ON MY HEAD. But I will truly do what I can to smooth the road for all involved. And keep in mind that I have taken pains to find a woman that is not after money. True, people change, and our society is known to do so. But she is a good person, and we will walk together and learn.

No, I am not falling back on the old "But mine is different!". All women are the same. I cannot escape that fact, so it's best to play into it. She is not a gold digger. I know this. But I also know that I am in for a financial storm. I honestly believe I can balance everything out. And I *WILL* chronicle what happens, so future guys can decide if I have made a terrible mistake.

As you have stated, it's full steam ahead. Let's see what the sea has in store for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:04 pm 

ione98 wrote:
It's her needs that would worry me.

How often does she expect to return to see her relatives? How often are you willing to take her back? You are marrying her family, not just her. I could see this working with the right woman (maybe), but with a homebody with strong ties to CR it could be a disaster in the making.

The plan is for her to return home one weekend a month. Remember that for the first 3 or so months, her son will be back in CR, in the care of her parents (where she now lives, so no change for him accept his mom isn't there, but all 40 others are).

On the F-1, she can come and go as she pleases. Two requirements: 1) she MUST attend school to a certain number of hours, 2) in order to get back into the US, she must request another I-20 from the school PRIOR TO LEAVING. (I already have a spreadsheet of her proposed travel schedule, and will buy all tickets once she is approved for the visa.)

I have discussed with her and the family the difficulties in 'leaving home'. She seems to understand as best as a sheltered 20 year old can. But if you think about all of the Colombian, Dominican, and Nicaraguan chicas that must leave family behind to seek fortunes in San Jose, they seem to accept it. Not sure how she will be. But a flight home is only 3 hours, so if homesickness starts, we have remedy.

I like her family. I hope to keep a good relationship with them, and any pain caused to her or the son will terminally damage any hope for this. So I need to keep my eyes open.

As for a disaster, not so much. If she cannot handle the separation, then I will take her back. I will only be out some money, and she will have learned her limits. I will remain close with her and her son, but I cannot move there anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:08 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:
I can tell you how the tourism visa went for my fiancé. Paid the $160.00 got the appointment she goes in they hand her a green piece of paper and say sorry, Next..... They did not even ask her a question nor let her speak but enough to say thank you, you phucking C*ck sucker. Actually I added those last 4 words. She said it was like a production line and it was all no's. There was a guy that owned property, had a good job, had money in the bank and he wanted to visit family in the states for a family reunion and they still denied him. I think they just rubber stamp most of the applications unless you have some serious money and assets in Costa Rica. So much for her being able to visit and see if she would even want to move to the USA.

Very good information. She could easily get rejected. There is little anyone can do. I have some remedy, and will explore all avenues that are open to me. But in the end, it is up to the ICE agent to approve or not.

Her school says that very few of their students get rejected, but that is a small comfort to those that do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next