www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:26 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Gotta agree with Paco Loco-booked 2 day tours through the front desk at SL. The rainforest adventures tour didn't take all day-left at 610, back by 3, and the Volcan Poas tour was similar, but left at 8 or 9, back by 4. Both were well worth the approx $100 price, which includes a driver picking you up and dropping you back at the SL. The drive was also very interesting to me, as I learned a lot about the country and people from the drivers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:43 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

The tram is a really good tour. I would recommend it. Go to
http://www.expedicionestropicales.com/
across from the Mona Lisa. The place is always locked but just buzz them and they will let you in. Many tours that will get you back early. Used them many times and never had a problem.

Many people do not know that some tours that might be 8-9-10 hours can really be bought for a shorter time by eliminating the last stop. What they do is they have some vans meet at a central location (radio communication) later in the day, and you are transferred to another tour van that is going home earlier. Just ask. Really professional operation.

P.S Is Baldi Springs worth the visit?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:35 pm 

Whitecat wrote:
across from the Mona Lisa. The place is always locked but just buzz them and they will let you in. Many tours that will get you back early. Used them many times and never had a problem.

Many people do not know that some tours that might be 8-9-10 hours can really be bought for a shorter time by eliminating the last stop. What they do is they have some vans meet at a central location (radio communication) later in the day, and you are transferred to another tour van that is going home earlier. Just ask. Really professional operation.

Baldi Springs is worth a visit, but I would spend at least 2 nights there to take full advantage of its R & R effects. We spent 3 days there last November, and were able to book an AI deal for $199 per night per couple. The resort has come a long way since I first visited there in 2005. A day trip to any of the Arenal resorts is just too short, IMHO. Renting a car is your best bet, as you will be able to get out and explore the volcano, lake and surrounding areas at will.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:48 pm 

Whitecat wrote:

As many times as I passed the rainforest tram on my way to and from Puerto Viejo, I have never taken that tour. The tram is on my "to do" list on my next trip to CR. I've heard from other tourists that this is a worthwhile activity.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:04 pm 

The aerial tram tour I list is NOT promoted by the pimps. It's the real deal and traverses well above the canopy. Panther sightings are not unheard of although the earlier in the day one goes, the more likely it is to happen.

The tour I list is, easily, well under $60 if you decide to take your own public bus ride to the site and back. Book with the company, and they'll do it all for $60. See http://www.rainforestadventure.com/tick ... D=125#1233

What differentiates this tram from others is that this forest is virgin; a privately held preserve; and there ain't nothin' fake about it. It's the real deal. Look on the maps and you'll see.

The tours out of the SL all involve one middle man after another which eats into the ducats. Up to you! 8)

Oh, yeah.....this tram tour has an office located inside the gulch, across the street from Radio Shack; next door to Hotel Santo Thomas and Bar Poas or however you spell them......; you can book the tour right there. Do someone a favor in the hotel where you're staying and let that staff person do the booking. They'll get a small commission. As is the same all over the world, it's all about the ducats. :wink:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... Limon.html is the TripAdvisor link. Think for yourself. :lol:

"Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the over-compensations for misery. And, of course, stability isn't nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand."
- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Ch. 16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:57 pm 

Radio Shack is no more , but the rest of the directions are good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:51 am 

PS: If you decide to do the brief walk through the forest, be certain to have sufficient DEET mosquito repellant. The brief walk is not arduous one bit and the guide WILL find stuff for you to look at, such as poisonous to the touch dinky little frogs you'd easily miss (they're a very bright red); etc. Again, the earlier in the day you go, the more animal activity there bees. It IS very humid, so take a towel and water with you in your man purse/backpack or whatever you carry with you....even if it is just a plastic sack from MasXMenos. I'll see about posting some pics in the VIP section for your gander....

Tried to upload some pics, but they're too large and I haven't the inclination to shrink them. PM me with an email address and I shall try to send 'em to you. Even better, if you have a gmail address or an email associated with google drive, I can invite you to download/view whatever the lot.

"Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the over-compensations for misery. And, of course, stability isn't nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand."
- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Ch. 16