www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cell phone option
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:48 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

For guys wondering what to do about phones down there, I found a decent solution that worked for me with minimal trouble. T-Mobile offers an international unlimited data roaming plan for as little as $50/month WITHOUT a contract. That also includes 1 GB of data in the US. I switched from AT and T to T-Mobile and my bill is literally in half price. And I went with the higher unlimited US data plan for $80/month too!. .20 cents a minute international calling to the states as well and most international ccountries. Anyway, so I switched to T-Mobile, I have one of those new iphone 6+, and didn't want to take that expensive phone down there. Had an older 4S, so I got a sim card adapter off Amazon for 4 bucks. (you can get an adapter for whatever phone you use).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSO ... e_o05_s00I

So I take my sim card out of my iphone 6, put it in the adapter, and place it in my Iphone 4S which I do take to CR. I could have the 4S stolen and it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm able to use my regular number while in CR. When I was there it roamed off the Movistar network. And T-mobile, true to it's word, there were no data charges. And I used the network daily and frequently. The network is definitely slower than what I was used to, but not horrible. It took a few minutes for the phone to recognize the system and wasn't sure it would work but ultimately worked perfectly.

So, in summary, I simply didn't want the expense and headache of buying a new phone, having a pre-paid card, etc while I was there. Granted, if you have a girlie friend or wifey, you may just want to get a phone down there. :wink: Or use an old phone and sign up with T-mobile for a second number. Again, there is NO contract, so after your trip you could just cancel and be done and it only costs you $50. Anyway, figured I'd share my experience if it may help somebody!

Post subject: Re: Cell phone option
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:17 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

It's great for you to make the calls , but if a chica wanted to call or text you, she would not be able to (probably wouldn't know how and wouldn't want to waste her balance on int'l call/text). She may not even have enough in her balance to cover the call, they go day to day. Some chicas call you and hang up after 1 ring just so you see that they called and wait for you to call back. Unlike the US, in CR, you don't get charged for incoming calls/texts, so this is a way for them to not get charged and still contact you. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:54 pm 

Makes sense! I'll admit, it would be easier with a local phone but seemed like most chicas used that Whatsapp that I met. And with the roaming unlimited data plan seemed to work okay for me. But I'll admit to being an idiot when it comes to calling CR internationally. Almost cost me my favorita but she was able to get get a hold of me despite my idiocy. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:16 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

for chicas just use Whats App to call them..

i do this to text and cal them on Tmobile while in SJo.. works fine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:27 pm 

That's true they all have smart phones. They can't pay the rent half the time but they have have a smart phone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:57 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Orange...100% on the mark....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:11 pm 

I have Sprint global roaming and it works pretty well down there

texting in CR or back to the States free.... data is free (but they throttle it at 2G) unless you buy a fullspeed pack of 500MB for 7 days $25 or 14 days $50. Calls are only $.20 a minute in country or back to the US

I use whatsapp and wifi most of the time but its an easy way to stay in touch back Home and keep your normal number

CC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:44 pm 

Orange wrote:
That's true they all have smart phones. They can't pay the rent half the time but they have have a smart phone.

Just like the in the states

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:40 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Indyguy wrote:
Orange wrote:

Just like the in the states

usually a guy bought it.. lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:19 pm 

T Mobile has an unlimited data plan that includes several countries which won't cause you to get billed roaming charges (Costa Rica is included in the list). You can use data to make local calls through apps like suggested. You can even call/text back and receive calls/texts from the US for no charge.

It's a really great plan and light years ahead of anything any other carrier provides. If you travel a lot and don't like the hassle of getting new sim cards and loading them up with pre paid cards and all that crap should really check into it.

It's around 80 bucks a month for 1 line I have a plan with 2 lines and only pay 100 I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:51 am 

TheChamp wrote:
T Mobile has an unlimited data plan that includes several countries which won't cause you to get billed roaming charges (Costa Rica is included in the list). You can use data to make local calls through apps like suggested. You can even call/text back and receive calls/texts from the US for no charge.

It's a really great plan and light years ahead of anything any other carrier provides. If you travel a lot and don't like the hassle of getting new sim cards and loading them up with pre paid cards and all that crap should really check into it.

It's around 80 bucks a month for 1 line I have a plan with 2 lines and only pay 100 I believe.

Got the same plan with 1 line. Kills AT&T hands down, especially when traveling abroad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:28 am 

TheChamp wrote:
T Mobile has an unlimited data plan that includes several countries which won't cause you to get billed roaming charges (Costa Rica is included in the list).

Colombia and DR as well.

mh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:29 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Can I use the same chip bought in San Jose in Panama or do I have to get a new chip and phone number when I get to Panama ?

I use Claro in SJ.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:15 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

[quote="TheChamp"]T Mobile has an unlimited data plan that includes several countries which won't cause you to get billed roaming charges (Costa Rica is included in the list). You can use data to make local calls through apps like suggested. You can even call/text back and receive calls/texts from the US for no charge.

Interesting series of posts regarding T Mobile offering an international unlimited data roaming plan for as little as $ 50/month.

I am wanting to get a phone for use in both USA and CR that I can use WhatsApp to stay in touch with the chicas.

My question is when stated "You can even call/text back and receive calls/texts from the US for no charge", that when in CR and friends/family/coworkers call my T Mobile USA phone #, will it have a normal ring like when you make a call in the USA, or will it have the funky ring that I experience when I call from the USA to a chicas CR cell #?