www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is This Cubadave??
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:05 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

One thing I've learned about this whole fiasco is the "preventative detention" aspect of CR. Now THAT is some scary shit. More so, IMHO than this vague law that is unlikely to affect most average boys down there. Essentially they can hold you for any suspected violation of the law indefinitely as an investigation occurs. Thus you are in some gray legal area, neither guilty nor innocent cause you haven't even been charged. Thus even if CD wanted to make a plea deal, pay a fine, and be deported/banned, he can't even do that because he hasn't be formally charged. How much time does one need to investigate cubadave.com, facebook, youtube, laptop, cellphone?. Apparently over 2 months? Anyhow, I get that it's not the USA and they have their own laws and no bill of rights, etc. I think it's good we all are at least better educated to how things can work down there and are at least better aware of what is considered "due process" there. Certainly can open one's eyes on the risks of traveling there and what it means to be "detained." So, if you get a loca chica novia you piss off and "verbally abuse" and a SWAT team comes running for you like in Steve-o's case, get your ass to Nicaragua or wherever muy pronto. As you may be sitting in "preventative detention" with some really friendly Ticos for an indefinite period of time. Knowledge is power, certainly one should weigh the risks versus benefits of going and make their own informed decisions as to what works best for them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:28 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

You are right Donjuan...buyer beware applies here.

When in CR, don't get into legal trouble, with anyone, for anything. When you board that plane on your way back home, exhale a sigh of relief 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:17 am 

bandon843 wrote:

When in CR, don't get into legal trouble, with anyone, for anything. When you board that plane on your way back home, exhale a sigh of relief 8)

Amen to that! Thankfully I'm a good boy and try to avoid trouble wherever it may and wherever I may be. Last thing I would want on vacation is drama and legal troubles. CD arrest really has been eye opening on the legal aspects of CR for me. Naively I hadn't really thought about the laws much until now because typically I try to stay low key and I generally don't do stupid illegal shit. And thankfully have never been arrested and haven't had a traffic ticket in 20 years. Hopefully we can all learn something from it, at least what to expect and what to try to avoid in regards to trouble. I still wonder if CD even knew the law existed. Logic would suggest he would given his "business" but who knows? Hopefully CD does get out of there alive at some point. Because I definitely want to watch THAT youtube video! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:27 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

donjuan wrote:
One thing I've learned about this whole fiasco is the "preventative detention" aspect of CR. Now THAT is some scary shit. More so, IMHO than this vague law that is unlikely to affect most average boys down there. Essentially they can hold you for any suspected violation of the law indefinitely as an investigation occurs. Thus you are in some gray legal area, neither guilty nor innocent cause you haven't even been charged. Thus even if CD wanted to make a plea deal, pay a fine, and be deported/banned, he can't even do that because he hasn't be formally charged. How much time does one need to investigate cubadave.com, facebook, youtube, laptop, cellphone?. Apparently over 2 months? Anyhow, I get that it's not the USA and they have their own laws and no bill of rights, etc. I think it's good we all are at least better educated to how things can work down there and are at least better aware of what is considered "due process" there. Certainly can open one's eyes on the risks of traveling there and what it means to be "detained." So, if you get a loca chica novia you piss off and "verbally abuse" and a SWAT team comes running for you like in Steve-o's case, get your ass to Nicaragua or wherever muy pronto. As you may be sitting in "preventative detention" with some really friendly Ticos for an indefinite period of time. Knowledge is power, certainly one should weigh the risks versus benefits of going and make their own informed decisions as to what works best for them.

Not true and not much different than the USA. No one knows for sure what they have on CD. Only Speculation on the board. They were investigating him for Months (if not years). You do not get preventative detention unless the crime is serious or they want to make an example of you (CD case MHO). A loca Chica ....might get you a night in Jail but not preventative detention. There are always three sides to the story.. his, hers and the truth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:02 pm 

Mkink wrote:
donjuan wrote:

Not true and not much different than the USA. No one knows for sure what they have on CD. Only Speculation on the board. They were investigating him for Months (if not years). You do not get preventative detention unless the crime is serious or they want to make an example of you (CD case MHO). A loca Chica ....might get you a night in Jail but not preventative detention. There are always three sides to the story.. his, hers and the truth

Well said, I would hope a loca chica wouldn't get you in preventative detention, but are you sure? I'm asking out of pure ignorance as I am new to the CR scene and am simply trying to learn. Not trying to be oppositional. There are always multiple sides to every story without a doubt. I completely agree they're definitely making an example out of CD. I don't think this particular law will affect the vast majority of our fellow travelers (other than they will be much less likely to post pics or anything on the net). He definitely pissed off the wrong people whoever they may be.

BTW, had a wonderful dinner date my last night in CR in your restaurant. Excellent wine, service, and the food couldn't have been better. Well done!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:06 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Not true and not much different than the USA. No one knows for sure what they have on CD. Only Speculation on the board. They were investigating him for Months (if not years). You do not get preventative detention unless the crime is serious or they want to make an example of you (CD case MHO). A loca Chica ....might get you a night in Jail but not preventative detention. There are always three sides to the story.. his, hers and the truth[/quote]

Well said, I would hope a loca chica wouldn't get you in preventative detention, but are you sure? I'm asking out of pure ignorance as I am new to the CR scene and am simply trying to learn. Not trying to be oppositional. There are always multiple sides to every story without a doubt. I completely agree they're definitely making an example out of CD. I don't think this particular law will affect the vast majority of our fellow travelers (other than they will be much less likely to post pics or anything on the net). He definitely pissed off the wrong people whoever they may be.

BTW, had a wonderful dinner date my last night in CR in your restaurant. Excellent wine, service, and the food couldn't have been better. Well done![/quote]

Good to hear positive reviews. Think of preventative detention as "Bail Denied". And of course if he were let out he would try to high tail it out of costa rica!. No ankle bracelets in costa rica. He flew to close to the sun and lost his wings. Everyone should have seen this coming with him. They gave him plenty of chances. again JMO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:45 pm 

bandon843 wrote:

Some issues follow you across the water.

When I had my ... issue ... with the local cops, I paid em off and they still reported me to the embassy. When I got home I was red-flagged at immigration and taken to level 2 for over an hour. I also had to have a full explanation for the incident at my formal GE appointment (over a year afterwards).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:37 pm 

BashfulDwarf wrote:
bandon843 wrote:

When I had my ... issue ... with the local cops, I paid em off and they still reported me to the embassy. When I got home I was red-flagged at immigration and taken to level 2 for over an hour. I also had to have a full explanation for the incident at my formal GE appointment (over a year afterwards).

Wow ... What was their deal? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:42 pm 

bandon843 wrote:
BashfulDwarf wrote:
bandon843 wrote:

Wow ... What was their deal? :roll:

It's a very long story, and not that interesting really. The cops just 'followed procedure' about my detainment I suppose, and immigration wanted to know why I didn't report in at the embassy afterwards (as if I knew that was normal).

Post subject: CubaDave - News Articles
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:15 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

http://www.ticotimes.net/2015/09/23/cub ... ourism-law

Thought that it would be good to have a thread that would list various printed articles from newspapers and other sources that discusses the matter. That way, we can get what the "world" is thinking about this case.

My input is above for articles. The comments are the most interesting part of the article. Clearly, the "world" does not care much for CubaDave and his antics.

Have a Great Day,

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:51 pm 

Already posted in the other thread, this article is from Sept 23rd
Respectfully I don't think we need more threads on the subject but thats jmho

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:12 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

LAdiablo wrote:
Already posted in the other thread, this article is from Sept 23rd
Respectfully I don't think we need more threads on the subject but thats jmho

Yeah, I'm pretty much Cuba Dave'd out at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:04 pm 

Way to blend the threads together Admin :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:17 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

LAdiablo wrote:
Way to blend the threads together Admin :idea:

Thanks. Did not see it before. Thanks for combining the threads.

Have a Hreat Day,

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:59 am 

Regardless, GOOD Cuba Dave or BAD Cuba Dave...I smell a RAT!!

So happy I conduct my activities elsewhere.

El Gringo Loco

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next