www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:22 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

This phone is currently on sale for $54.99.
I am considering it for use in CR solely. I worry about taking my iphone5.
With a SIM card purchased at SJO how would this phone function in CR.
Is it worth the money?
If it got lost or stolen after 2 or 3 trips that would be no big deal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:50 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Ninetyniner wrote:
I am considering it for use in CR solely. I worry about taking my iphone5.
With a SIM card purchased at SJO how would this phone function in CR.
Is it worth the money?
If it got lost or stolen after 2 or 3 trips that would be no big deal.

PM Archer2 - i know he had purchased a BLUE branded phone off of Amazon I believe. He was using it in SJO in May. he would be able to give you some feedback

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=19263

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:03 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I use that phone in CR and it works fine. Its dual sim and thought about slipping my AT&T sim card in so I could just use the one phone down there but the instruction manual is very basic and I could not be sure that the data roaming would be off for the AT&T sim so I just carry both phones with me. Wifi and camera work well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:37 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I did my homework. This will work fine in CR fine. The price is right and it's a good present to take down for a chica and telling her it cost about $300.00 .......but you can take it out in trade. I have one on the way that I'm going to take down for my little chica......who is having problems with her phone.....I'll trade her for a to be determined number of visits. (at least 4-5)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:40 pm 

Picked one up last week at Target, Will be using it while down 7/17 to 7/20. Using my T-Mobile pre-paid sim here in Central Florida. Good cheap, safe alternative to my Sprint phone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When faced with the choice of two evils, I alway go with the one I haven't tried before!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:03 am 

Ninetyniner wrote:
Where did you find it for that price? The BLU brand is my brand of choice for chica phones. They seem to be well built phones, unlike those no-name Chinese phones that are pieces of junk.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:18 am 

Greenfangs - I bought a T Mobile simm card for the phone and will get the cheap "by the minute" plan since I use my iphone primarily in US. Let me know what provider you use in CR and how it works out. I will be there in Oct.

GoodDayJohn - On sale at Target this week. Regular price is only $59.99 so only a $5.00 reduction.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:42 pm 

Amazon.com sells these phones for a little under $50, depending on the color. Free shipping.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:23 am 

My BLU isn't perfect, but it is good value for the price. I use an iPhone at home, but I leave it in the safe in CR. With an unlocked dual sim phone I have put in a US by the day roaming chip for travel and a Claro chip for CR. I got a CR phone number that is easily remembered so I top it up online to try to keep it active between trips.
Takes a while to get used to the operating system but lots of apps available...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:55 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I love my BLU. Got it for 100$ at Best Buy here in FLA. I take it on my Colombia trips. I use it only for Colombia....but in CR it will probably work too. In Cartagena
Got a SIM card and minutes for about ten dollars with Claro. Now I use it in Bogota. It is a great phone for the price.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:17 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Whitecat wrote:
I did my homework. This will work fine in CR fine. The price is right and it's a good present to take down for a chica and telling her it cost about $300.00 .......but you can take it out in trade. I have one on the way that I'm going to take down for my little chica......who is having problems with her phone.....I'll trade her for a to be determined number of visits. (at least 4-5)
SMH.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:21 pm 

GoodDayJohn wrote:
They seem to be well built phones, unlike those no-name Chinese phones that are pieces of junk.

I've recently read a lot of reviews by BLU phone owners on Amazon and other sites, and anywhere from 25% to 33% of the owner reviews indicated problems with their phones. Well, at least the prices are reasonable. They run on the Android OS (KitKat and shortly Lollipops). They even make one model with a Windows OS :roll: All of their phones come unlocked.
Their 'Life One' model looks nice...5" screen, GSM quad-band, 8GB internal memory, 1GB RAM, 720x1280 resolution, dual SIM slots (one of the slots can be used for a Micro SD card (32 or 64 GB)), and 4G LTE (which would be useless in CR, but good to have while in the U.S.). It's listed for $149 on Amazon. It's thinner than my iPhone 5. But..over 25% of the owner reviews have been negative!

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:07 pm 

Why not just stick with Motorola? It's a quality brand, the phones are unlocked, and they are priced right. $119 for a 2nd gen moto E on Motorola.com. If you really want to get a bargain buy one of these phones from cricket wireless then buy an unlock code from eBay. At my local Walmart you can buy a moto e from cricket wireless for $50. I bought a moto g last year for $79 from cricket online then spent five or ten dollars for an unlock code. I was able to use the phone in Costa Rica earlier this year with no problems. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:41 pm 

Gringotim wrote:
GoodDayJohn wrote:
They seem to be well built phones, unlike those no-name Chinese phones that are pieces of junk.

I've recently read a lot of reviews by BLU phone owners on Amazon and other sites, and anywhere from 25% to 33% of the owner reviews indicated problems with their phones.

I'm one of them.

I ordered a BLU Dash 4.5 back in 2013 as a walkabout SJO/MDE phone.

Phone arrived, I turned it on, it booted, and every time the setup wizard got to the enter Google account prompt, it would freeze and then after a while reboot.

After several attempts to get past this I returned it and ordered a Moto G instead.

Awesome phone, fast, extremely reliable, very bright screen. Eventually sold it to a paisa fav in exchange for "favors". I showed her prices for lightly used Moto Gs on Ebay and we arrived at a deal that left us both happy.

mh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:35 pm 

Miamiheller wrote:
Gringotim wrote:
GoodDayJohn wrote:

I've recently read a lot of reviews by BLU phone owners on Amazon and other sites, and anywhere from 25% to 33% of the owner reviews indicated problems with their phones.

I'm one of them.

I ordered a BLU Dash 4.5 back in 2013 as a walkabout SJO/MDE phone.

Phone arrived, I turned it on, it booted, and every time the setup wizard got to the enter Google account prompt, it would freeze and then after a while reboot.

After several attempts to get past this I returned it and ordered a Moto G instead.

Awesome phone, fast, extremely reliable, very bright screen. Eventually sold it to a paisa fav in exchange for "favors". I showed her prices for lightly used Moto Gs on Ebay and we arrived at a deal that left us both happy.

mh

The new Moto 'G'(3rd Gen) came out last week. The price is $180 or $220 depending on the RAM and internal storage. The specs and owner reviews have been excellent.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)