www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:32 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

jonny99 wrote:
Way, way back when I was a high school K*D.. I thought 'Scientific American' was a cool publication coming from a thoughtful and also educated place. Well now.. with all of these 'free?' self appointed experts 'showing me the way'... why should I even tax my brain, thinking for myself??? The 'easy' way is to choose some fool to believe. And follow him (or her) right down their 'rabbit' hole that leads to and also winds up nowhere. The ability/acquired skill to be able to always question everything.. is one of the best gifts that if we are lucky and smart enough, that we could ever (in one lifetime) be able to receive. I suppose it just all comes down to our 'individual' choices (and reasoning). Or maybe how many lifetimes that you (think you) have to do it over and over again. Don't count on it. Get it right.. right now.. or forever fade away into oblivion.

None of us have the knowledge to be experts in everything, in reality not even in anything. Even the Nobel Prize winners only have expertise in their own fields. So we all have to choose what voices we listen to, and we need to be very skeptical especially with the internet bringing complex and convoluted stories to us...mostly based on false assumptions and false stories. I have a very strong belief that it is only the scientific method (based on skeptical thought and processes) that can tell us what is real. And I'm using the term "scientific method" in a broad sense. So basically we can know something is true or real when others can question every part of it, go through the proofs and find no way to refute them, and eventually the community of those with the ability to understand the "something" finally agree that it is real or true. And of course that is always provisional, because new or more complete understandings may come in the future.

The questions around this virus, what is it, how does it spread, how can we slow down the spread, how can it be treated, how can it be prevented - all of these questions are being worked on in real time as we go through this. I have not heard any of the real experts, the epidemiologists, the virologists, the medical community, come across as dogmatic. They are trying to answer those questions as they learn more about this disease. But, even without all the answers actions had to be taken. And around the world every country I know of has taken some action. Far far away from all the political crap in the US and other places, countries on the left, right, and center have felt they needed to do something to stop the spread of this virus, and eventually treat it or cure it successfully. And these people come from many countries, many political backgrounds, and basically only have a scientific approach to the issue in common.

The rise of the outright attack on the messengers and spokespersons for action against this virus is unprecedented I think. There is a new conspiracy every minute it seems.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:24 pm 

Jackal wrote:
I really like how these same Karens who were hacking their lungs out a few months ago are now telling me to "pull up your mask all the way". But, that's the direction of the Herd right now.

Don't get me wrong I love sheep, I just prefer to eat mine and not be one. I might be a little more on board with the mask thing if everyone was wearing a gas mask type apparatus but for Christs' sake most of the face coverings are a joke. I am going to make one out of pantyhose just to make a point...... I'm wearing a mask Phuck your mandate it doesn't do shit but I'm wearing one.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:33 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:
Jackal wrote:
I really like how these same Karens who were hacking their lungs out a few months ago are now telling me to "pull up your mask all the way". But, that's the direction of the Herd right now.

Don't get me wrong I love sheep, I just prefer to eat mine and not be one. I might be a little more on board with the mask thing if everyone was wearing a gas mask type apparatus but for Christs' sake most of the face coverings are a joke. I am going to make one out of pantyhose just to make a point...... I'm wearing a mask Phuck your mandate it doesn't do shit but I'm wearing one.....

I guess there's no point in explaining how masks actually help, and how they work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:41 pm 

Zeos wrote:
Ilv4play wrote:
Jackal wrote:

I guess there's no point in explaining how masks actually help, and how they work.

Perhaps you should explain how a ventilator works. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:53 pm 

Boynton wrote:
Zeos wrote:

Perhaps you should explain how a ventilator works. :shock:[/quote]

That's a privilege for those who don't want to do anything to stop the spread of this virus, and hopefully those against wearing masks will get to experience it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:19 am 

Zeos wrote:
Boynton wrote:
Zeos wrote:

Perhaps you should explain how a ventilator works. :shock:

That's a privilege for those who don't want to do anything to stop the spread of this virus, and hopefully those against wearing masks will get to experience it.

I was on one for two months (not COVID related), would not hope that experience for anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:48 am 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
Zeos wrote:
Ilv4play wrote:
Jackal wrote:

There are a lot of not very effective masks out there however...

#1 and preserved for front line workers is the N95 of course.

2nd most effective and very effective is the blue and white surgical grade mask available everywhere now. Blue goes on outside and white over the cake hole. Maybe not the prettiest but thick, covers the whole cake hole and nose, not too uncomfortable and the real ones have a thin metal strip at top to sinch down around the nose real tight almost creating a positive suction when inhaling to limit outside air intake.

And is a whole lot more comfortable than MOPP Level IV CBR suits and gas mask if you were ever in the military.

This ain't polititical B.S. propaganda from me is just my Engineering brain compiling the abundance of medical information & my own personal observations into what seems very logically bricks and mortar that there is at least one effective mask style out there available to non medical peoples.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:41 am 

Nope, no sense trying to convince me like I have no chance of getting you to see my point of view. Some people go bareback and others always suit up. I have lived 55 years without a mask, I will go till I die without one. And for the record, my health directive is no ventilator and no heroic measures. When it is my time to go that is when I am ready. I am not going to change my personal thinking and feelings for anyone except myself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:09 am 

Ilv4play wrote:
Nope, no sense trying to convince me like I have no chance of getting you to see my point of view. Some people go bareback and others always suit up. I have lived 55 years without a mask, I will go till I die without one. And for the record, my health directive is no ventilator and no heroic measures. When it is my time to go that is when I am ready. I am not going to change my personal thinking and feelings for anyone except myself.

Daaaamn! You must REALLY hate foggy glasses :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:33 am 

CaliforniaSunshine wrote:
VIBE CHECK

You got battery issues, cowboy?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:25 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Zeos wrote:
jonny99 wrote:
Way, way back when I was a high school K*D.. I thought 'Scientific American' was a cool publication coming from a thoughtful and also educated place. Well now.. with all of these 'free?' self appointed experts 'showing me the way'... why should I even tax my brain, thinking for myself??? The 'easy' way is to choose some fool to believe. And follow him (or her) right down their 'rabbit' hole that leads to and also winds up nowhere. The ability/acquired skill to be able to always question everything.. is one of the best gifts that if we are lucky and smart enough, that we could ever (in one lifetime) be able to receive. I suppose it just all comes down to our 'individual' choices (and reasoning). Or maybe how many lifetimes that you (think you) have to do it over and over again. Don't count on it. Get it right.. right now.. or forever fade away into oblivion.

None of us have the knowledge to be experts in everything, in reality not even in anything. Even the Nobel Prize winners only have expertise in their own fields. So we all have to choose what voices we listen to, and we need to be very skeptical especially with the internet bringing complex and convoluted stories to us...mostly based on false assumptions and false stories. I have a very strong belief that it is only the scientific method (based on skeptical thought and processes) that can tell us what is real. And I'm using the term "scientific method" in a broad sense. So basically we can know something is true or real when others can question every part of it, go through the proofs and find no way to refute them, and eventually the community of those with the ability to understand the "something" finally agree that it is real or true. And of course that is always provisional, because new or more complete understandings may come in the future.

The questions around this virus, what is it, how does it spread, how can we slow down the spread, how can it be treated, how can it be prevented - all of these questions are being worked on in real time as we go through this. I have not heard any of the real experts, the epidemiologists, the virologists, the medical community, come across as dogmatic. They are trying to answer those questions as they learn more about this disease. But, even without all the answers actions had to be taken. And around the world every country I know of has taken some action. Far far away from all the political crap in the US and other places, countries on the left, right, and center have felt they needed to do something to stop the spread of this virus, and eventually treat it or cure it successfully. And these people come from many countries, many political backgrounds, and basically only have a scientific approach to the issue in common.

The rise of the outright attack on the messengers and spokespersons for action against this virus is unprecedented I think. There is a new conspiracy every minute it seems.

Wow, Zeos, I have to say I think this is a great summary and description of what we are going though in the world with this virus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:44 am 

I don't consider myself a "sheep" but I do wear a mask when I am in a public, indoor setting where I am going to be close to someone else.

Do I believe that the cloth mask that I am wearing will totally protect me from getting Covid. Not even close. Forget to wash your hands one time after touching an infected surface and you are likely to catch it, mask or not.

I wear the mask as it keeps SOME of MY breath particulate matter from landing on another person or surface. The mask really isn't to protect you but to minimize you spreading the virus to someone else.

If I get infected and the anecdotal evidence suggests that a lot of people have it and don't know it, I want to minimize the amount of virus I am inadvertently spreading. Despite what some of the conspiracy theory folks are saying, Covid DOES kill some people. I really don't want to be the person that gives it to someone that ends up dying.

I see some previous posters say that if they feel sick they will stay home. That's great, but everyone that catches Covid doesn't feel sick. People say they have a right to not wear a mask. That true, but just don't put yourself in a position where you are unknowingly spreading your infected sputum. Stay home.

If you want to have a laissez faire attitude toward catching the virus, fine, I hope it doesn't kill you. But you don't have the right to behave in a way that increases the chance that you will infect me.

Wearing a mask really isn't that big of a deal. It doesn't hurt, it isn't expensive and it really isn't all that intrusive. If it helps keep businesses open until a vaccine is found or the virus runs its course due to herd immunity, then I am all for them.

No one says that masks are 100% effective. But depending on the mask, they are better than "bareback". Just like washing your hands, keeping separation between people, staying home when sick, nothing is foolproof. But when you put it all together you can decrease the spread of the virus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:32 am 

I know we've probably all had enough of this topic...but I can't help it...I came across this..
"Is it useful to wear a mask?"

- If you walk around nude and someone pees on you you'll get wet
- If you wear pants, and someone pees on you you're partially protected
- If the guy peeing on you also wears pants, he pees in his pants and you don't get wet

Spreading the virus is more like pissing than it is like farting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:24 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Man wear your mask if you want to. For those guys who say don’t wear them. Keep that same energy when/if u need a surgical procedure. Tell the surgeon he is a pu*sy for wearing gloves and a mask. When you go to a restaurant tell the chef and/or servers they don’t need to wear a hair net or gloves etc. Guys with unknown intellect but possibly the biggest mouth, clique or network now feel that they know more than the experts. GTFOH.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:44 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

it is really simple...you don't wear a mask because all you care about is yourself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next