www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CR Bound October!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:17 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

By your name and the mention of fires, I assume you are from California. I don’t think Californians are allowed to enter Costa Rica at this time.

Don’t forget to include insurance for your rental budget. In my experience, it’s the most expensive part of renting a vehicle.

Did you find a place where you can get a COVID test results within 72 hours? Please share that information.

Good tip on the health insurance. Definitely affordable rates!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:36 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I didn't know SL was open. The putas need the business. October is the rainest, wettest month in Tamarindo. Use Uber and take a bus to the beach. 9-10 bucks. No reason for a car. $700.00 can get you 15+ putas. Interbus shuttle is also available. Still don't understand how the government is making decisions. Record cases recorded daily. The more the cases, the more they open up.

Last edited by Whitecat on Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:19 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

California residents allowed on October 1.

I haven’t heard anything official, but SL website has blocked all hotel reservation until Oct. 15.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:39 am 

Sounds like they are waiting for a higher percentage of occupancy. They were going to open once before and canceled. Right now I can tell you there are no visiting mongers in San Jose. Should change soon but it will be slowly and it will be different with the rules, especially since there is not one bar open and monger hotels are closed. Many pensions as an option right now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:17 pm 

CaliforniaSunshine wrote:
Hey Everyone.

I had to fucken get out, I was going crazy out here with the fires and lockdown. With that, I am CR bound next month. Have a few thoughts on my mind, hopeful some of you can chime in and let me know what you're thinking.

1. Maybe or maybe not staying at SL. I love it here, dont get me wrong. But I was thinking an Airbnb might be the way to go with cleanliness. Also not sure if SL will be open so I want to prepare just in case
2. Renting a car for the month, or not getting a car and ubering around everywhere. (Car for the month with all fees is about $700... pretty steep)
3. Going to Tamarindo via Private Shuttle (if any goes there), Rent a car, or fly via Sansa/Nature Air

With weather clearing up, I do want to spend most of my time in Tamarindo. Let me know your thoughts and give me some ideas as to what else you might add/change. Hope you guys are all safe.

Also for those of you looking to go down. I found on another forum that people are getting very cheap Travelers Insurance through Trawick Insurance, backed by Nationwide. I think my quote is around $56.

Is that per day for the health insurance? That's about what it was through INS for a 70 year old. And it has to specifically state that it covers Covid costs as well as 2 weeks accommodation in case of quarantine requirement. All of which you probably know...but here I can get health coverage...but not specifically stating those things.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:36 pm 

The tourism board (ICT) is now responsible for certifying health insurance at the airport. Here is a concise, up-to-date description of the current rules. Take care, several insurance brokers are still quoting the original limits ($20,000 medical, $4,000 quarantine). These changed in early August to $50,000 / $2,000.

https://www.visitcostarica.com/en/costa ... quirements

For international insurance policies, tourists must request a certification from their insurance company, issued in English or Spanish, verifying at least the following three conditions:

* Effectiveness of the policy during the visit to Costa Rica.
* Guaranteed coverage of medical expenses in the event of becoming ill with the pandemic COVID-19 virus while in Costa Rica, for at least USD $50,000 (fifty thousand United States Dollars).
* Includes minimum coverage of USD $2,000 for lodging expenses issued as a result of the pandemic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:47 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Tourists are starting to make it down. I have a friend coming this week. Spoke to Robert at Monica's this morning and he said he got his first tourist yesterday the States. The Sportsman's plans to open when Florida and Texas are allowed. Expect more states to be allowed before October. I was at the Cocal about 10 days ago, They said they were open but had no guests. The Best Western in Jaco appeared to be busy. May have been locals but parking lot was about half full. There are bars open. A bar can open as a restaurant and serve drinks. Most of the small local bars in San Jose are operating this way. Hotel Little Havana is operating this way as is Bar Poas. There is a driving curfew of 10pm on weekends and 7pm on weeknights. 'Taxis can operate. Don't expect the Del Rey to open to mongering but there is a rumor that the Key Largo will open back up with girls. Could be a great venue but it will probably have limited hours. It is across the street from a school. I suspect that was part of the reason the hours there were from 10 until 2am in years past.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:07 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Thanks for the update Pops.

I am thinking about a trip in October.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:08 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

2. Renting a car for the month, or not getting a car and ubering around everywhere. (Car for the month with all fees is about $700... pretty steep)

I bet that does not include the insurance. Full Insurance is required and your US Car insurance coverage for rentals is no acceptable in CR for Rental coverage. It is MUCH cheaper to purchase the insurance while in the US as you do your car rental reservation than to purchase on the spot in CR when you don't have the coverage.

One benefit from what I understand of renting is that there are no "day of the week" limitations you are allowed to drive with the current restrictions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:00 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Pops wrote:
Tourists are starting to make it down. I have a friend coming this week. Spoke to Robert at Monica's this morning and he said he got his first tourist yesterday the States. The Sportsman's plans to open when Florida and Texas are allowed. Expect more states to be allowed before October. I was at the Cocal about 10 days ago, They said they were open but had no guests. The Best Western in Jaco appeared to be busy. May have been locals but parking lot was about half full. There are bars open. A bar can open as a restaurant and serve drinks. Most of the small local bars in San Jose are operating this way. Hotel Little Havana is operating this way as is Bar Poas. There is a driving curfew of 10pm on weekends and 7pm on weeknights. 'Taxis can operate. Don't expect the Del Rey to open to mongering but there is a rumor that the Key Largo will open back up with girls. Could be a great venue but it will probably have limited hours. It is across the street from a school. I suspect that was part of the reason the hours there were from 10 until 2am in years past.

What a year, I mean Phuck. But when the rubber band bends one way (annoyance, frustration), when it snaps back, it's phucking cause for no-limit celebration. (the rubber band metaphor from Abraham Hicks)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:28 pm 

Zeos wrote:
Hey Everyone.

I had to fucken get out, I was going crazy out here with the fires and lockdown. With that, I am CR bound next month. Have a few thoughts on my mind, hopeful some of you can chime in and let me know what you're thinking.

1. Maybe or maybe not staying at SL. I love it here, dont get me wrong. But I was thinking an Airbnb might be the way to go with cleanliness. Also not sure if SL will be open so I want to prepare just in case
3. Going to Tamarindo via Private Shuttle (if any goes there), Rent a car, or fly via Sansa/Nature Air

With weather clearing up, I do want to spend most of my time in Tamarindo. Let me know your thoughts and give me some ideas as to what else you might add/change. Hope you guys are all safe.

Also for those of you looking to go down. I found on another forum that people are getting very cheap Travelers Insurance through Trawick Insurance, backed by Nationwide. I think my quote is around $56.

Is that per day for the health insurance? That's about what it was through INS for a 70 year old. And it has to specifically state that it covers Covid costs as well as 2 weeks accommodation in case of quarantine requirement. All of which you probably know...but here I can get health coverage...but not specifically stating those things.

No, that was for my entire stay. Its very cheap. It covers covid and highlights it specifically. It also covers accommodation. I will be booking in the next week or so and will update when I do.

Curious tho, would we be able to fly in/out of Liberia airport as well? Thinking of potentially flying out back to the states from LIR (Liberia) airport in Guanacaste

Just called Trawick re travel insurance because I could not find specifically that it covers the required 2K for accommodations. The agent confirmed that their policy did NOT cover it.
I would hate to get down there and have customs reject the insurance. Can you please elaborate on where you got your information?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:38 pm 

Jawanker wrote:
Just called Trawick re travel insurance because I could not find specifically that it covers the required 2K for accommodations. The agent confirmed that their policy did NOT cover it.
I would hate to get down there and have customs reject the insurance. Can you please elaborate on where you got your information?

Mary Jane? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:43 pm 

Boynton wrote:
Jawanker wrote:

Mary Jane? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, I think that was her name.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:55 pm 

NYr wrote:

I bet that does not include the insurance. Full Insurance is required and your US Car insurance coverage for rentals is no acceptable in CR for Rental coverage. It is MUCH cheaper to purchase the insurance while in the US as you do your car rental reservation than to purchase on the spot in CR when you don't have the coverage.

One benefit from what I understand of renting is that there are no "day of the week" limitations you are allowed to drive with the current restrictions.

Price quoted is $700 with insurance Liability (the required insurance). The other insurance my credit card takes care of. And yes that is $700 with all fees and such through Adobe car (highly recommended).

I have insurance through my credit card as well...but when I checked they do not cover Costa Rica. I think it was only Canada, US, and maybe Mexico.
Also reached out to the SL. They are waiting for the CR Govnt to allow reopening, but they are hopeful for changes by Mid October.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:10 pm 

INS is the largest Costarican insurance company here. They sell insurance specifically for the traveler. Meets all requirements. Don’t know about price. You can also change the language of the site. Check it out. Fill out the info to get a quote. If good, pay and print. Period. Again, don’t know how they compare. I read they now lowered their pricing.

https://micrositios.ins-cr.com/seguroviajero/