www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:08 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Anyone know of and can recommend a good rooftop bar/restaurant in San Jose?

I'd be interested in going to one, if a good one is there, on my next trip to San Jose (Labor Day weekend 2018).

Last edited by el moreno 202 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:41 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

There is one you can see from the penthouse at Zona2 in the area above Bar Poas. I have never been there so I do not know exactly how to get to it. I do know a couple of diners have seen me letting a chica have it while she was hanging onto the railing of the balcony though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:52 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Theses sound like they are big in panama, but I never heard of any in San Jose, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:00 pm 

La Tarraza overlooking central

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:05 am 

Years ago, Hotel Talamanca (in Centro vicinity of Parque Central) had a roof-top bar/restaurant with a nice night time view of the city. I liked the steaks there as well. Checked out current Trip Advisor and the reviews were less than stellar... but the restaurant was still listed as an amenity. Too bad the place has gone downhill.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:31 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

This restaurant is located in Los Angeles Mountain, San Rafael, Heredia. It is not roof top, but the views of the city at night are tremendous. I thought the food was average, but recent reviews have shown some improvement. There are pictures of the views on their website

http://www.baalbekcostarica.com/home.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:59 am 

8Vo Rooftop - Autopista Próspero Fernández, San José, San Rafael, Costa Rica - 4055 0588. In the Sheraton. Facebook but no website.

Reviews are 'interesting'.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:32 am 

I believe Holiday Inn has a restaurant on the top floor but not "rooftop" open air, I assume it's still there, I would eat there occasionally when I first started coming to CR a decade ago. Bring 2 credit cards...it ain't cheap... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:37 pm 

You might consider a Mirador. These are restaurants that are located in the mountains above San Jose. Ram Luna and Tiquicia come to mind. The night time views are spectacular.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:04 am 

Well, it ain't "rooftop" but the White House, in the mountains of Escazu offer spectacular breathtaking views, you see the entire city of San Jose.

Daytime lunches aren't terribly pricey, and the food is great. You have to get a cab, uber or drive there if you have a car, forget walking and no buses.

It's an incredible experience, they let you go outside and walk the grounds and enjoy the magnificent view.

http://www.1costaricalink.com/eng/hotel ... our/28.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:11 am 

Netgems wrote:
Well, it ain't "rooftop" but the White House, in the mountains of Escazu offer spectacular breathtaking views, you see the entire city of San Jose.

Daytime lunches aren't terribly pricey, and the food is great. You have to get a cab, uber or drive there if you have a car, forget walking and no buses.

It's an incredible experience, they let you go outside and walk the grounds and enjoy the magnificent view.

yeah i went there once and wasn't too impressed w the food but what else is new in CR?
great spot and it gets pretty windy at night but well worth a visit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:47 am 

Thanks!

On my return trip, I will definitely go to one, or more of the places you have suggested.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:04 pm 

LAdiablo wrote:
Netgems wrote:

yeah i went there once and wasn't too impressed w the food but what else is new in CR?
great spot and it gets pretty windy at night but well worth a visit

If you go again, get the cheeseburger, the beef is imported, not sure if it's Argentina or USA but the important thing is it's not CR beef. :lol:

I know it's just a cheeseburger but it's great and it's close to the cheapest item on the menu, I believe you can sub a baked tater with all the trimmings instead of fries.

I go for the view and the right to walk around outside all you want, I wouldn't pay that much for a burger downtown but I view it as an "admission price" to get to enjoy the almost ethereal view and you get a burger, side and coke thrown in. :D

I tried hiking up behind the place one visit, that hillside is steep. I didn't get too far...then it was a hassle shimmying down at age 60 plus. The good news is my buddies had a hell of a laugh watching after I admonished them for not participating and being wusses... :lol: :x

The results were heart pounding and some cuts n bruises... :oops:

In my 20's and 30's one of my hobbies was bare handed (ok, with tough leather gloves) but no equipment mountain climbing. I've climbed in N Carolina, Colorado and California. Key words here...20's and 30's... :mrgreen: :oops:

Note to self...don't try this one again...walk around downtown, Sabana, Escazu, Paseo Colon, even Rohrmoser and established park trails when out of the city...your mountain climbing days are numbered and may be just plain over... :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:57 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Sheraton hotel in escazu has a nice rooftopbar and resturant. Nice views

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:50 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Hilton garden inn in Sabana has a bar on the 13th floor w outstanding views of the mountains and stadium. Drinks are outrageously priced and low alcohol. Food might be good because the free HH buffet on W-F is usually very good.

Also the fifth floor bar at the remodeled GranHotel Costa Rica. Great views. Usurious pricing on the drinks.