www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:02 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Hbosbru wrote:
SC1- why do you always jump down someone's throat if their opinion is different from yours? This is your tendency all over the site if someone disagrees with you. If he thinks it is the best steak house than it is. His opinion when dining out is the only one that matters.

No, not at all; I even said that I was glad he liked the place, and commented favorably on its close to the gulch location - when you post something, its fair game for anyone to comment on - and that's all I did - I did not "jump down anyone's throat" - my post was hardly nasty. I simply stated my opinion, and gave reason(s) why I don't find CR a foodies paradise, especially when it comes to steak places using CR sourced beef. I'm hardly alone in this opinion, BTW.

The issue is some will read the post and not be of the same opinion - simply posting the alternative to what he posted - no personal attack was involved, nor did I suggest that he knows nothing about food, or restrauants, or frankly anything at all mean or nasty - I think you are reading way too much into the post - what, now if I post a contrary opinion, I'm the one in the wrong? If he is entitled to his opinion, I'm entitled to mine, based on many trips over 15 years (and yes, I've been to the place in question numerous times - its not terrible; just - IMO - there are others serving better quality steaks).

What you and <some> others don't seem to realize is this is a message board - post something and others comment on it - that's what we do here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:41 am 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Scuba1 wrote:
(and yes, I've been to the place in question numerous times - its not terrible; just - IMO - there are others serving better quality steaks).

Such as? << just list some names [a mild challenge]--I'll scout the sites >> Thread hijacking in a good way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:03 pm 

JazzboCR wrote:
Scuba1 wrote:
(and yes, I've been to the place in question numerous times - its not terrible; just - IMO - there are others serving better quality steaks).

Such as? << just list some names [a mild challenge]--I'll scout the sites >> Thread hijacking in a good way.

OK - I mentioned Donde Carlos, also while expensive <too> La Cascada - both w/in a cab ride of the gulch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:03 pm 

Donde Carlos is a ways out of town--didn't some Bros used to run "field trips" out that way? Or am I thinking Pork Chop Hill?
http://www.dondecarlos.com/ << their home page builds nicely...parrillada means Argentine BBQ. Isn't there also an adjacent carniceria ?
La Cascada has been in biz for near 50 years--they must be doing something right: http://www.lacascadasteak.com/ << make sure to scout their discount page

Last edited by JazzboCR on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:09 pm 

JazzboCR wrote:
Donde Carlos is a ways out of town--didn't some Bros used to run "field trips" out that way?
http://www.dondecarlos.com/ << their home page builds nicely...parrillada means Argentine BBQ. Isn't there an adjacent carniceria ?

No, Donde Carlos is in Los Yoses... a few minutes east of the gulch. I believe you are thinking of Donde Alcides which is in Asirri... just south in the hills overlooking San Jose. Parrillada is a type of restaurant in Central and Couth America where meat is cooked over charcoal fires.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:25 pm 

BlueDevil wrote:
JazzboCR wrote:
Donde Carlos is a ways out of town--didn't some Bros used to run "field trips" out that way?
http://www.dondecarlos.com/ << their home page builds nicely...parrillada means Argentine BBQ. Isn't there an adjacent carniceria ?

No, Donde Carlos is in Los Yoses... a few minutes east of the gulch. I believe you are thinking of Donde Alcides which is in Asirri... just south in the hills overlooking San Jose. Parrillada is a type of restaurant in Central and Couth America where meat is cooked over charcoal fires.

Exactly. What a fool I am. And it's Donde Alcides with the meat market next door. At least I got the links right.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:58 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

FYI, if If you don't want US beef out of concern of hormone injections and ractopamine, ask for "Carlos Gardel", which is local beef and size of a brick house. But it's cooked so perfectly that before you know it, it's gone!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Every Wednesday at La Amistad----Chef Jose cooks some deli steaks! And are served with a very complete meal! Not grilled or BBQ style, but smothered in sauce and very tender!
Haven't sampled these myself since last Halloween, but in my opinion they were very well prepared, and tasted excellent. Heard no complaints from a large table of guys who are not unlikely to complain if called for!
Will stay there again and partake of the all inclusive "feast", as well as the always excellent service from Matt, Don, Rudolfo, Carlos, Hazel, Luis, housekeeping, Karol at the bar, the kitchen, and all the staff.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:04 pm 

think you might want to delete and place your post in a different thread Zabu. this is about a restaurant call Buenos Aires. normally a mod might do that but...
and this place is absolutely amongst the best places in SJ

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:26 pm 

I will respectfully disagree with everyone praising Esquina de Buenos Aires.

Awful food. Worse service.

mh

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:54 pm 

Last edited by Boynton on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:56 pm 

Boynton wrote:
Donde Carlos is a bit more suburban, has a smaller menu, but better food. Donde Carlos is easier to get into and has better seating (especially upstairs). More of a novia/favorita place. One note of caution, it is a little harder to get a taxi late at night. If you have a driver, call them when you order desert and have them wait until you are done.

+1

mh

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:12 pm 

awful food? not ime
but the service can be lacking since there always seems to be a lot of people waiting to get in and clearly vip customers walk right in and take your seat. i watch that shit and called them on it but what can you do really?
will try donde carlos in june on the recommendations.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:14 pm 

LAdiablo wrote:
awful food? not ime

Been there twice and both times got what can only been described as gristle.

mh

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:22 pm 

Miamiheller wrote:
LAdiablo wrote:
awful food? not ime

Been there twice and both times got what can only been described as gristle.

mh

wow. do you remember what you ordered? not like they would survive in SF or NY and its not flemings or ruth's chris but for SJ i would give them a solid 8 for taste, prep and quality.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next