www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CALLING ALL FIENDS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:06 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Ok, I don't know how many (or if any) of you are old-school punk rock fans, so if you don't have any interest in loud punk rock, feel free to skip this one.

On January 28th, there's going to be a show at the Planet Mall in San Jose, with a sort of punk "super-group." It's Jerry Only of The Misfits, Marky Ramone of The Ramones, and Dez of Black Flag. I haven't been able to track down any ticket info yet, but I'd imagine they sell tickets at whatever serves them as a box office (I've never been to the Planet Mall, so I have no idea). I realize that the vast majority of you probably don't care, but for me, when I found out about this shiw, in my favorite vacation spot (CR), it was suddenly clear to me that God WANTED me to be in Costa Rica, and had come up with a way to get the message across.

And, on the off-chance that Jerry, Marky, or Dez reads these boards, I would be honored if you'd let me buy you all a drink while you're in San Jose. After all, what are fiends for?

PapaJester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:25 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

The Planet Mall is located in the Mall de San Pedro.

I like the 'older' punk rock. I never cared for the Ramones and the other groups you mentioned. I liked the Sex Pistols, the Dead Boys, the Fugs
(from the late 1960s!), the MC5, and of course the best and original punk, Iggy Pop of Iggy and the Stooges.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:37 pm 

A very respectable list, Gringotim, but I'm afraid I have to disagree about Iggy. While he was certainly one of the first, I feel the term, "best," is highly subjective.

At any rate, thank you very much for the info on the Planet Mall (I knew someone would come to my rescue!), and for proving that I am not the only person left in the western hemishpere who still likes the Sex Pistols. :D

PapaJester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:10 am 

I remember when Iggy first started out. Must have been around 1972.
He weighed about 100 pounds tops. He must have been on 'smack'
then. He would cut himself with glass onstage. People didn't know what
to make of him. I saw him live at The Channel club in Boston around 1984.
Is the Channel still there? It's on Fort Point Channel, near the big milk
bottle. There used to be a good Chinese restaurant near there also.
I think it was called Wehlu's. He's still making music, having released a new
album about a year ago. As a prelude to the last Olympics, his song 'Search and Destroy'
was used in a much-played television ad/promotion.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:36 am 

The Channel has sadly gone by the wayside. Sometime in the early 90s, they went broke, but they kept trying for a while. I believe it changed hands a bunch of times, and the last I remember hearing of it, it was slated to be turned into a semi-nude bar (whatever the hell THAT means...). I don't recall hearing anything after that, so either the club finally went under and never came back, or they DID come back, but in such a lessened form as to make it unworthy of mention. The Boston music scene has taken quite a few painful hits over the past decade, but the loss of the Channel was definately a low blow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:14 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Hey Papa Jester - I love the music of the Pistols but never saw them play.

Last edited by Easy on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:06 am 

I never could understand the popularity of the Ramones. In my opinion, they
were the 'bubblegum' music of punk. I mean, 'Rock and Roll High School',
give me a break! They were light-weights compared to other groups.
I think the reason they became so popular was they were from NY.
BFD! The New York Dolls were also from NY, and they sucked. If you want a real
punk rock song, check out 'Ain't It Fun' by the Dead Boys,
also covered by Guns N' Roses on the 'Spaghetti Incident' CD.

Papajester...I was checking out the punk bands around Boston before you
were born...Cantone's, the Paradise, the Rat in Kenmore Square, Spit, TT the Bear,
the Orpheum, Uncle Sams (Nantasket Beach in Hull) etc. WBCN with Charles Laquidara,
Oedipus, Mark Parenteau, etc.

Iggy rules! I'll recommend a CD for you. It is called 'DIY - Mass. Ave.
The Boston Scene (1975 - 83)' on Rhino Records. It contains music from
most of the popular Boston bands of that period...Willie Alexander,
Unnatural Axe, La Peste, The Neighborhoods, Human Sexual Response,
Mission of Burma, Robin Lane and the Chartbusters, the Atlantics, the
Del Fuegos, and more. Check it out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:06 pm 

Easy,

it's probably just as well you won't be around, you'd try to tempt me away with a trip to D'Plufos (or however you spell it...)! In all seriousness, though, you're more than welcome to come along, if you decide at the last minute that you absolutely HAVE to be in San Jose. How could I ditch my favorite usher?

Gringotim,

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll keep an eye out for it. And as for The Ramones, I have to agree with you that, for the most part, they were brainless ear candy. And I also feel obligated to relay some sad news you might not be aware of. The Rat is no more. It was THE place to play for a long time, but now it only exists as a fond memory.

The 'hoods and MoB (along with the ever-hateable G.G.) were all pretty great, as well as a bunch of other local bands, but I don't think the Boston punk scene really came into it's own until the late 80s-early 90s, with bands like Yellow No. 5, The Pinkerton Thugs, Youth With Bats, The Unseen (who have gone on to be a big disappointment), and local, uh, well, I guess you could only call them "gangs," like the Boston Mob (Not affiliated with Whitey Bulger). It was a great scene in it's time, but all good things, as they say...

But I'm still not an Iggy Pop fan. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:46 pm 

Yeah, I heard that the Rat had closed. What a shame. Were you referring to GG Allin? He was 'out there'. His real last name was Baird. I grew up
with his cousin in New Hampshire. I saw him on TV (Mike Douglas Show?) once around 1975. He was screaming how he'd like to rape all the young girls, etc. Crazy. Later, he spent a lot of time in jail in New York City. He died in a run-down neighborhood in NY around 1982 I believe. He was on 'smack'. Either he overdosed or the police shot him, I'm not sure which.

It's amazing they still have not found Whitey. He's on the FBI's top ten
most wanted list. I could be wrong, but I have a strange feeling he's
been living in CR all these years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:57 pm 

Yep, that's the one. Every credible account I've heard has it as an overdose, but apparently there's some dispute over whether it was accidental or if the girl he was with gave him a shot she knew to be way too big. Either way, he was a pioneer. Just not a very admirable one.

Gringotim wrote:
It's amazing they still have not found Whitey. He's on the FBI's top ten
most wanted list. I could be wrong, but I have a strange feeling he's
been living in CR all these years.

Hey, as long as he knows not to pay 100, I say live and let live. Even mobsters need a little "me" time every now and then... :lol: