www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Motorcycle Rental
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:37 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Does anyone have a good experience with a motor cycle rental place in San Jose? Thanks...

Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Rental
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:57 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

If I pay for a life insurance policy will you name me as beneficiary. Seriously the way they drive in CR no way in hell would I ride a motorcycle anywhere near downtown.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:43 am 

t

Last edited by brazinone on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:07 am 

brazinone wrote:
Ilv4play wrote:
If I pay for a life insurance policy will you name me as beneficiary. Seriously the way they drive in CR no way in hell would I ride a motorcycle anywhere near downtown.

I figured this would come out... not interested in you smart ass replies... How about we meet up when I come down and you can tell me how stupid I am for renting a motorcycle..

brazinone, I think he was just trying to be "cute" while giving you advice to be careful riding a bike here in CR. I can tell you for sure it is a highly risky thing to do here. So far this year CR is averaging close to one death a day from moto accidents. With the relatively small population here, that is a very high rate!!!

Just yesterday on ruta27 very close to Escazu a 31 year old Gringo by the name of Garrity was killed in a accident while riding a moto.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:13 pm 

brazinone wrote:
I figured this would come out... not interested in you smart ass replies... How about we meet up when I come down and you can tell me how stupid I am for renting a motorcycle..

Glad to see you had a change of heart and deleted the PM you sent me before I could read it. I drive in downtown frequently and they drive like shit. I would be surprised very many look over their shoulder when changing lanes, most only use mirrors and that is a crap shoot. I have probably seen over 30 fatalities in Downtown over the last 7-8 years involving motorcycles and a couple of them were police officers. That is specifically why I listed DOWNTOWN. Once you get out of town you have more room for evasive action but for the most part people drive like shit in Costa Rica. There is very little courtesy and you will see very few people getting out of your way if they are driving slow and impeding traffic. Lines of cars 30-50 deep and not uncommon on the highways because of one inconsiderate driver. But wait till you get to a passing lane and everyone speeds up to 80 mph and only 1 or 2 cars can pass the offending driver. Granted alot of the Motorcyclists do stupid shit like splitting lanes and weaving in and out of traffic trying to get crushed between semi trucks and other vehicles just to get up the front at a stop light, then when it turns green their bike does not have enough power to start going faster than a car, but I can only assume you want to rent a bike that most ticos cannot afford. So, as much fun as having the wind in your face while enjoying a scenic ride can be, I would not risk my life down there.

For the record I would be happy to meet up with you and show you how stupid you would be riding in Downtown. I will drive you around to some of the bars and places I know that are out of the way so you will get a first hand look at how insane a lot of the drivers are. I can pretty much guarantee you will see a couple of accidents and how quickly you can expect an ambulance to arrive. The first sentence of my message was a joke, as no way would I want to wish any sort of accident or death on anyone just to make some money. The second one is deadly serious.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:23 am 

In addition to the crazy driving, there are insurance/liability issues, terrible roads, no signs and a ton of other things that (IMHO) make riding a motorcycle really dangerous here. I've spent thousands of hours driving around Costa Rica and when I went to renew my licenses, I saved $10 and didn't bother to renew the motorcycle license as I knew I'd never be crazy enough to actually use it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:27 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Wild Rider in Paseo Colon rents motorcycles and offers tours.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:34 pm 

Georgee wrote:
Wild Rider in Paseo Colon rents motorcycles and offers tours.

Thank you. how was your experience with them? if you rented

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:38 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Quote:
Thank you. how was your experience with them? if you rented

They are very helpful. It might be cheaper to rent a car in Costa Rica but not as much fun.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:35 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

brazinone wrote:
Does anyone have a good experience with a motor cycle rental place in San Jose? Thanks...

Nikita Todo Terreno in Santa ana rent cuads and motorcycles - late model KTM adventure, 1190, 1050, also 690 enduro, etc. They even deliver it to the hotels in San Jose, but you need to prep your own gear. 22826699/89103229, they have face book, too.