www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:07 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Depending on your residency status, United is offering flights in May
The airline is currently selling tickets between George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) and Juan Santamaría International Airport for May 4, May 8, May 11 and May 15.
https://ticotimes.net/2020/04/28/united ... costa-rica

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:26 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I originally had a return flight to SJO on April 1st, so we know what happened there. So, I see from the above, that United has a few flights in May. So, I checked it out. They want $1173 to fly from IAH to SJO!
I was routinely paying under $400 RT before C19. When/if this thing is over, I fear the airlines are going to strike back with a fury to regain their lost revenue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:22 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Considering the fact that the airlines are bleeding money every day and there is talk of reducing capacity by at least 33% I would not expect air fares to return to pre shut down rates anytime soon.
Another issue that I want to watch, will the 90 day stamp be issued like before or are they going to look at outbound reservation dates more closely and give you fewer days legally in the country?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:00 pm 

Flabuck wrote:
Another issue that I want to watch, will the 90 day stamp be issued like before or are they going to look at outbound reservation dates more closely and give you fewer days legally in the country?

I have not heard anything about changing the 90 period once this emergency ends, but here a a couple of things I do know about the current rules.

1. Extension of Visa. There have been two so far for anyone who entered the country after December 17 (90 days before the current emergency period was declared and the borders closed). Those in-country had their times automatically extended for immigration purposes. The newest date is July 17. Note this is 90 days after the current border closings are scheduled to lift. Speculation is widespread that this closing date will be extended.
2. Immigration vs Driving. As can happen in CR, relations between units of government are sometimes not in sync. While the visas were extended for immigration in early March, the ability to drive on a foreign license was not. This left a lot of people in limbo, legal to stay here, but not legal to drive. While I didn't hear of anyone getting fined by the Transit people, there could gave been insurance implications in the event of an accident since you were driving illegally. This was finally addressed by President Alvarado yesterday and the "ability to drive" was extended concurrent with the "ability to stay".
3. New rules went in place (but temporarily suspended) about overstaying your tourist visa. If you overstay you can a) pay $100 penalty for each month of your overstay (payable in exit) or b) be blocked for re-entry to CR for 3 times the length if your overstay. This rule had been suspended during the current emergency declaration.

I also expect airline prices to be high as restrictions lift.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:01 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Until at least May 15 only CR citizens and legal residents who left CR before March 24 can enter the country. This from daily U.S. Embassy (San José) status emails which base this on info published by CR govt authorities. May 15 could also be extended depending on the situation.
These additional flights, according to the U.S. embassy emails, are basically "additional repatriation flights" coordinated, at least in part, with the embassy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:56 pm 

We are still locked down in Colombia. Domestic flights may resume next month, but international flights remain TBD. This is pretty much the same all over South America.