Masters Degree in Mongering!

No tip no towels... the change on the table mysteriously disappeared

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:22 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Yeah, right.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:53 am 

Flabuck wrote:
for those of you looking for a truly organic experience, the circus cardboard inn option is always available.

+1 Best kept secret for seasoned mongers. I save over $700 a trip now vs LA or SL. And NO chica fees!

Here is reservations:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MwUtj_YnNoY

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No advice, tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:35 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Harddrive43228 wrote:
Just returned from a six night stay at the Sportsmens. I have to say the service was excellent.

On my first night, there was a problem with the hot water in my room. Since it was late and had already unpacked and everything, I really didn't want to change (Rachat de crédit et trésorerie) rooms that night. Manfred (the manager) gave me a key to the Presidential Suite across the hall so so that I could use that shower for the evening. The next day they gave me a suite in the Mansion Wing at a discounted rate. I was more than satisfied with the remedy.

Bar service was quick, the drinks had a good pour and the food quality was good. While not haute cuisine, the Sportsmens does have good bar food. My only complaint is that the portions are a bit large so I have a tendency to overeat. Prices are a bit high but I find that is true of most restaurants in San Jose that cater to gringos.

And by the way, I told the housekeeper that I needed extra towels on the first night I was there and I had four towels every day without asking.

You were lucky to have four towels a day without asking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:56 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Oger10 wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:
Just returned from a six night stay at the Sportsmens. I have to say the service was excellent.

On my first night, there was a problem with the hot water in my room. Since it was late and had already unpacked and everything, I really didn't want to change rooms that night. Manfred (the manager) gave me a key to the Presidential Suite across the hall so so that I could use that shower for the evening. The next day they gave me a suite in the Mansion Wing at a discounted rate. I was more than satisfied with the remedy.

Bar service was quick, the drinks had a good pour and the food quality was good. While not haute cuisine, the Sportsmens does have good bar food. My only complaint is that the portions are a bit large so I have a tendency to overeat. Prices are a bit high but I find that is true of most restaurants in San Jose that cater to gringos.

And by the way, I told the housekeeper that I needed extra towels on the first night I was there and I had four towels every day without asking.

You were lucky to have four towels a day without asking

Well I did ask the first day. After that the housekeeper remembered. Probably helped that I left a 1k note for her every day.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:56 am 

Better look out, or Whitecat is going to refer to you as a 1k boy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:46 am 

Weird I been coming here off and on for 7 years and never had anything but excellent service. Maybe they just didn't like you.

I also always leave a 1mil tip for maids and I find I have too many towels.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:43 am 

No 1 likes me! But at least i can get towels at other hotels :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:20 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Ydogi wrote:
No 1 likes me! But at least i can get towels at other hotels :lol:
You're a better man for admitting it [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:25 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

There lots of ass kissing ....at the sportsmens on crt....lol....I bend going there for years fun place yes....but over the years the services suck ....location great ...

costa rica is best place for fishing for the pink snapper, you can fish for so manny pink snapper in all size and colors , there is all a keep and if you do not like throw it back and fish for new one

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:28 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Am at SL now, been coming for years. I must now admit the service level has dropped but not the prices. Talked to a few guys who are using AirBnb for a fraction of the cost. I will look into it next time I visit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:44 pm 

Yes, one comes to Costa Rica to pay USA prices at SL. No deals there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:48 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
Wondering if their business is slow and for a prolonged period of time if Bill will lease out the older section rooms for Hospital overflow?

It use to be the hospital in the area replaced by Hospital Rafael Calderon up the hill back 20 years ago?? Know this because when I use to stay there 2008-2013 my credit card statement had "Hospital ..." on it.

Only 14 rooms or so but maybe they have been plumbed for medical gases. Could help out if got that bad there. Just sayin.

Myself whether there, here in U.S. or Colombia if gets so bad I run far up into the selva somewhere that takes at least 3 turns from the main road.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 am 

SL is a good place to stay for the newer, non-Spanish speaking monger. Results in many repeats.They are willing to pay higher prices for food and drink and have no problen flipping out the cien notes for the chicas.

Comfortable and clean.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:54 pm 

There are countless ways to roll. How you choose to do it is your business. If I had to choose between staying at the Intercontinental or the Sportsman's Lodge and receiving the same price and services I would choose the Intercontinental. Problem is that the Intercontinental does not offer what the Sportsman's offers. For Gringos use to customer service on the level with 5 star hotels what you find in Costa Rica is a different culture. They rarely get in a hurry for anything. AirB&B is an option. They don't have room service, restaurant and frequently .frown on guests. Getting hit on by girls is part of the experience. Try staying at the Del Rey and finding a place where they don't hit on you.

At times the service at the Sportsman's is lacking but there is never a time when you bring it to management's attention that there is not a effort to make things right. The experience there is as good now as it was the first day I visited Costa Rica 14 years ago. Clean rooms, very friendly, beautiful wait staff, good food at reasonable prices. The girls that frequent there are rarely a problem in that if they cause problems they are not allowed to return. It is where I would stay if I was visiting San Jose.