www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hotel Mango Mar Jaco
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:31 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Spent four nights in Jaco Wed-Sun at Hotel Mango Mar. Overall, I can recommend with a condition.

Mango Mar is a small hotel, 16 rooms next to Cocal. It fits in the L-shape of Cocal between the parking lot rooms and the beach. It has its own beach front access and a small pool.

After many stays at Cocal I decided to try something different for a couple reasons. My biggest reason is noise. Cocal now keeps the pool bar open with a DJ playing loud music until 2 am. If I am in a poolside room I need quite a few drinks to fall asleep before they shut down the music. Last time I stayed in January even the parking lot rooms were noisy with loud drunken banter of people leaving going until 3:30-4:00 am.

Cocal has also been significantly escalating their prices. High season weekend rates are $170 parking lot and $180 poolside. They do give 10% CRT discount but still high prices. Low season is a little less. Even at these higher prices it can be difficult to get a reservation.

Mango Mar was $89 per night total including all taxes. The hotel is definitely more basic than Cocal, but no complaints. Rooms were clean, staff was friendly and helpful, air conditioning more than kept up with Jaco heat. Room had a safe, small fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. Furnished comparable to a courtyard or clubhouse room at SL.

The condition is they are a “family hotel” that is ok with guest if they are discreet. There is no guest fee. At night there is a security guard that checks and keeps the girls ID while they are visiting. Standard at most hotels and protection for you. If you are willing to be discreet you should have no issues.

All but one of the girls I brought back were already familiar with the hotel and had no problem walking the extra 50 feet past the last parking lot room. One of the girls was joking with the guard and said she had known him for 5 years.

During the week it was mostly empty, and I saw few other residents. Weekend was full, and it was mostly all families. Although there may have been other single guys like me, also being discreet, that I did not notice. They do have posted rules such as no noise that would disturb other guest after 10 pm and a sign by the pool “Inappropriate scenes are prohibited in public areas”. My observation was the majority of their guests are families, but they are ok with girls from next door at Cocal if you are discreet. If there is a complaint they are going to side with the majority of their guests.

In conclusion I was very happy with Mango Mar. None of the noise from Cocal carries over. I was able to sleep great. If you book there remember you are bringing your guest back for activities in the room. Hanging out in public areas with chicas should be kept at Cocal. The wild party is right next door, Mango Mar is quiet refuge.

Post subject: Re: Hotel Mango Mar Jaco
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:58 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

What a great post! Very helpful:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:33 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I stay at the Mango Mar everytime I'm in Jaco. It's right next door and has adequite rooms that are clean and quiet. I enjoy the break from all the wildness of Cocal, but yet less than a couple minutes away from the party. They have security at night for safety and are Chica friendly for all our needs. Great place to stay and breakfast in the morning is included. I think I paid about $80 per night.
Propman48

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:15 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

All the rooms Hotel Mango Mar open toward the courtyard of a family mini-bar/pool area. Rooms 1-5 face west, all the rest face north with a diagonal layout aimed toward beach.

Second floor rooms (4, 5, 11-16) have a decent sized balcony holding a couple chairs and a two person seat, some have a table, and can look out through a handful of palm trees to see the ocean. The higher the room number the less trees are in the way.

First floor rooms can only see the courtyard and maybe some beach through the fence, but all have a table and chairs on their patio.

Rooms 10 and 16 are closest to beach and their respective patio and balcony are at a diagonal facing northwest. Room 16 on the second floor would likely have best view. 8)

Rooms 2-5 are closest to parking lot and Cocal access, but also back up to the service corridor for the Cocal so you might hear the trash being taken out, or picked up.

AC was more than adequate even with a vaulted ceiling, and has a continuous fan setting with multiple speed options. I kept it on low and it almost totally covered for the Cocal party noises. Didn't need earplugs to sleep.

When checking in they were up front about having chicas leave their passport with the office, locked up in their safe until you returned with them. No chica fee.

Solid tile floors throughout so the first floor gets to hear all the footsteps and dropped items from second floor - apologies to whoever was below my room! :oops: Bed frames have offset legs hidden under the covers and designed to harvest your toes when walking in the dark.

Rectangular shower is large enough to fit two so long as one is a only a spectator and doesn't need access to water flow. Toilet was wedged between sink and sliding shower door, in a space which measured less than 23.5 inches. Truly a bull in a china shop situation if you have any size, and will likely have to sit sidesaddle with one arm in sink. :shock:

Room had open shelves and a rack with a handful of hangers instead of a wardrobe or dresser. Surprisingly it has a larger safe rather than a tiny lockbox, with a solid 20x13 inch floor space inside. Long side has the door with an 18 inch diagonal that would likely fit a 17 inch laptop if you're dedicated to carrying one.

Room and safe use different manual keys and I assumed lots of people have copies of each. :evil: Instead of the safe, I locked valuables inside luggage and used a cable lock to secure it to the bed frame. Sure, they can still take my stuff but it's more involved than opportunity. Only stored enough chica cash for one round at a time in the safe rather than draw attention to the cable locked luggage. Never had a problem.

Fridge was dorm sized and could easily hold a couple suitcases of beer. No icemaker, and no idea how well it would keep ice. Plenty of nearby liquor shops and markets for drinks and snacks.

Window shades are not blackout but are very effective; bring some clothes pins for best results.

Single pane windows with screens, and doors built by someone who has heard of plumb, square and sealed but dares not dabble in such arcane magic: if you have a loud session with a moaner then others might know. If she's a screamer then all bets are off. :lol:

Wi-Fi is useless in the room :x , bar, pool area, outside tables, and hammocks, with only one out of four bars on room's balcony. Worked great in their office though.

Parking for 3 cars, or 6 if double parked. Lots of room for bikes and scooters if you rent one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:27 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Great post and replies fellas. I just got back from 7 nights in SJO at Amistad and did a few a Jaco Laguna in Jaco. Going back and looking for a the same stay but a different spot in Jaco. I am going to try Mango Mar but do you guys have any other recommendations other than the Cocal?

Will any adults only place be ok? I do not think I would have an issue with bringing a lady back in the evening but was not sure.

Thanks again!