www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hotel Castillo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:12 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I was the pilot guest for the "soft soft opening" of the Hotel Castillo for 3 nights, Sunday 15 Jan - Wednesday 18 Jan. I stayed on the northern-most penthouse (3rd floor, roof terrace, wall of tinted glass overlooking the zoo).

I was literally the only guest. Both Matt and Darren gave me an insider's tour and the staff really took care of any need.

The room is beautiful - all of them are. First class mattress. Terrific sheets and pillows. Good towels. Water pressure was excellent (yes, it sputtered the first time I ran the shower but perfect after that). Plenty of hot water.

Construction proceeds at a rapid pace in the new reception area, kitchen and bar restaurant area. Based on Hotel La Amistad's track record, and what I experienced, Hotel Castillo is going to eclipse every other venue.

This is short and quick as I'm at SJO about to fly out for a month.

In sum, wow!

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

Post subject: Re: Hotel Castillo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:46 am 

Are there hard boiled eggs for breakfast,any nice stale bread,any old bananas,do the girls stlll do your laundry.is darren and nico the hustler around,if so be there soon... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:08 pm 

Is the Wi-Fi up and running ?
When does the breakfast start on site ?
When does the restaurant open ?

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:22 pm 

Isra123 wrote:

1. Didn't care used my phone. SSID showed yesterday so it will be soon. Will let Matt answer.

2. Ate breakfast at La Amistad one day. I assume when the kitchen is finished. Darren showed me interim breakfast area by old reception.

3. When it and the kitchen is finished, which at the rate work is going will be very soon.

Seriously, the solution to "wifi" (internet) in Costa Rica is an unlocked spare phone and a Kolbi / Claro / Movisrar SIM (I use Kolbi because they cover ALL of CR but Claro is faster and so is Movistar (but expensive!). I hotspotted my unlocked phone and was completely connected.

Breakfast? Cafe Miel, Cafe Mundo, Cafe Amon just across the street or walk to La Amistad.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:45 pm 

MM3 wrote:
Seriously, the solution to "wifi" (internet) in Costa Rica is an unlocked spare phone and a Kolbi / Claro / Movisrar SIM (I use Kolbi because they cover ALL of CR but Claro is faster and so is Movistar (but expensive!). I hotspotted my unlocked phone and was completely connected.

... unless you want to use your existing WhatsApp account and / or only carry one phone while in CR.

Another option - switch to TMobile.

Free international roaming included in their SimpleChoice plan, so zero charges for data roaming or SMS, 0.20 / minute for phone calls to/from US. You keep your US number and no one is the wiser.

3g and 4g speeds in San Jose metro, 3g in Jaco, 4g in MDE and Cali, 3g most everywhere I go.

https://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

mh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:53 pm 

Miamiheller wrote:
MM3 wrote:

... unless you want to use your existing WhatsApp account and / or only carry one phone while in CR.

Free international roaming included in their SimpleChoice plan, so zero charges for data roaming or SMS, 0.20 / minute for phone calls to/from US. You keep your US number and no one is the wiser.

3g and 4g speeds in San Jose metro, 3g in Jaco, 4g in MDE and Cali, 3g most everywhere I go.

mh

And Project Fi works flawlessly in the Central Valley, Jaco, etc at LTE speeds.

But I keep my CR life off my US phone. I don't want chicas WhatsApp-ing my US phone (or calling it). What fun that would be!

Google Hangouts gets me my US texts and voice mails on my CR unlocked GSM phone and my US phone stays "off".

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:15 pm 

MM3 wrote:
Miamiheller wrote:
MM3 wrote:

mh

And Project Fi works flawlessly in the Central Valley, Jaco, etc at LTE speeds.

But I keep my CR life off my US phone. I don't want chicas WhatsApp-ing my US phone (or calling it). What fun that would be!

Google Hangouts gets me my US texts and voice mails on my CR unlocked GSM phone and my US phone stays "off".

TEHO.

Personally I enjoy not having to carry two phones anymore - the CR burner and the US phone. The nature of my business requires me to be in touch, so it's a huge advantage to be able to do so without having to a) carry an additional phone b) worry about roaming charges c) advertise the fact I'm in CR or Colombia or the DR or Brazil or... well, you get the picture.

As for chicas calling my WhatsApp... never happens. They know better. :mrgreen: And I don't have to worry about a wife "checking" my phone here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:23 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Isra123 wrote:

Wifi Installed today and being checked for signal in all areas

Breakfast on site starting Feb 1st

End of Feb for restaurant

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:33 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Any plans for all inclusive?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:43 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Indyguy wrote:
Any plans for all inclusive?

once the bar restaurant opens we are considering it

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:47 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Perfect can't wait

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:38 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

If Matt and the LaAmistad team is involved expect nothing less than the finest hospitality available in costa rica. I will be at the Castillo 02-24 and look forward to the new accomadations and the peace of mind that the LaAmistad team offers to all its guests. Throughout the years none better.
And I travel a lot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:30 am 

t

Last edited by brazinone on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:35 am 

t

Last edited by brazinone on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:01 am 

brazinone wrote:
I am trying to place where the Castillo is located.. Is this place in between the SLand LA, could somebody post walking directions as if you were coming out of the L'Amistad, I seen on map, but not sure if that is really the location. Thanks

Like this?

No, it is not the Hotel Vesuvio between the LA and the SL.

Walk out the door of the La Amistad (Google shows the side door as your exit, but we know it's on Av. 11).
Turn right.
Walk to the "t" intersection with Calle 13. Cross the street.
Turn left. Walk past the SL.
At the next corner (Av. 9), turn right.
Walk past Cafe Miel.
Cross Calle 11 and walk past the Film Institute.
About 30 yards and Hotel Castillo is on your right.
If you don't notice the big "Hotel Castillo" on the building and pass the Hemingway Inn / reach Calle 9 you've gone too far.

In exile in pu*sy prison