www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Taxi to la amistad cost
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:38 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Does anyone know what a taxi ride from the airport to the la amistad would cost? I'm not sure if paying the hotel to pick me up would be a lot more then a taxi or not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:24 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Vince80l wrote:
Does anyone know what a taxi ride from the airport to the la amistad would cost? I'm not sure if paying the hotel to pick me up would be a lot more then a taxi or not.

1. TaxiFareFinder says about CRC 13000 ($23). They are a bit off since the initial meter is about CRC 658 these days. That will be a red cab.

2. Orange (airport) cabs will be more but are allegedly faster since they can only pick up fares in two places.

3. Uber is cheaper.

4. Tell the cabbie "metro por favor" (or "maria por favor" if you want to use the Tico).

6. I'd pay in colones. You'll get change at CRC 500 - $1 if you are lucky (exchange is CRC 550 - $1 now).

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:34 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

it depends on what time of day you arrive at the arrive
The taxi's work on distance and time. If there is a lot of traffic it can be as much as $35

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:08 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Thanks guys. The Amistad is 40 for pick up so I may just use them since its not a huge price difference

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:04 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

$40 is a huge difference, close to double. And a rip off. Read the answers to your post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:34 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

The Sportsmen guys are $30 and includes a stocked cooler of beer, sodas, water. I usually take down two silvers by the time I get to the hotel. Not the cheapest but reliable and i have a good rapport with Martin. You don't have to stay at SL to arrange.

On the return i take the free ride arranged by LA staff (included in 4 day stay) and just tip about $5.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:38 am 

It is not a good idea to use the meter unless you arrive at night when there is very little traffic. If you arrive during the day, go up to the departure level and exchange some money at the bank (all the way to the right after you enter). Then go outside and look for a red taxi. You should find one that will take you to the Amistad for 10 mil colones (less than $20). Agree on a price before you start, do not ask him to use the meter. A good alternative is the SL driver.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:18 pm 

GoodDayJohn wrote:
It is not a good idea to use the meter unless you arrive at night when there is very little traffic. If you arrive during the day, go up to the departure level and exchange some money at the bank (all the way to the right after you enter). Then go outside and look for a red taxi. You should find one that will take you to the Amistad for 10 mil colones (less than $20). Agree on a price before you start, do not ask him to use the meter. A good alternative is the SL driver.

My experience with taxistas is entirely different. First, the majority of foreigners have no idea what amount to negotiate (and we're talking two currencies and how many people know today's exchange rate?) and secondly most people from non-haggling cultures can't haggle.

People take piratas (illegal cabs) and red taxis all the time from the SL / LA area to the HDR. The metered cost in a red cab is CRC 658. For ages I paid the dos mil (CRC 2000) the drivers usually asked for. No more. "Maria por favor".

Or from La Sabana to centro (HDR or SL). The metered rate is CRC 2,358. La Sabana taxistas always turned on their meter. Get a red cab at the HDR or on Ave. 9? There is a reason the cabbies there take their meters down at night. You are there for them to fleece.

Cabbie "$10 senor"
Me "No! It's 2,358 colones and maybe I tip"
Cabbie "Okay, tres mil"
Me "Dos mil y 500"
Cabbie "Ok"

Just like people who pay for meals and drinks in dollars. You get change in colones. If you are lucky it's CRC 500 to $1 and the bank rate right now is about CRC 550 to $1.

So "you' find your taxista who agreed to CRC 10 mil, then "you" go to pay in dollars and he says "$25". Now what?

Of course taxistas have other games - like taking roundabout routes, etc. If you are more interest in the chica on your lap, the taxista will probably take advantage.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:04 pm 

When I take a red taxi from the departure (upper) level of the airport into the gulch, I am able to almost always get the ride for 8,000 in colones, after requesting no meter ("no maria").

But about half the time , the taxistas will turn on the meter. When I asked why the meter is on, the guy explained that he needs to run with the meter ON in case he is stopped by the police with a customer in the cab. He has always disregarded the meter when I get into the gulch.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:28 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Have always walked past first group of taxis leaving airport. Hit the sidewalk say $25 dollars to hotel La Amistaad. Off you go. Might not hurt to have the address. They will usually call in a buddy, may take a minute, never a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:57 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Rac wrote:
When I take a red taxi from the departure (upper) level of the airport into the gulch, I am able to almost always get the ride for 8,000 in colones, after requesting no meter ("no maria").

But about half the time , the taxistas will turn on the meter. When I asked why the meter is on, the guy explained that he needs to run with the meter ON in case he is stopped by the police with a customer in the cab. He has always disregarded the meter when I get into the gulch.

Yep, you get the guys that just dropped off. Either they take a cheap fare or ride back empty. Just stand past departures and they will stop to see if you need a lift. A friend taught me this and said $20. The cabbie said no, started to drive away, but then stopped and took us. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:45 pm 

I made a big newbie type mistake this time arriving at SJO.
My plan was to go up to departures withdraw money from an ATM and offer a red cab dropping someone off 10 mil ( bit less than $20 ) BUT it was raining hard so I decided to use an orange taxi because they accept credit cards and have a booth at arrivals. I figured the meter would not go over $30 as I expected no traffic at 10 A.M.
Boy was I wrong. It took over an hour to get to Hotel Little Havana and the meter read the equivalent of $35 :oops: :oops: :oops:
I will have to figure a way to stay dry and go up to departues as recommended by all who know.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:35 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I have found that booking interbus online is the easiest way to get.from the airport to.the gulch. $15.00 and the driver is standing outside the exit door with your name on a sign waiting for you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:29 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I agree 100% with SlimBNimble.. I only use Interbus $15 can't beat it! have neen using them for years.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:14 pm 

I did not have anything set up for transportation upon my arrival last week.

I didn't even make it upstairs and the were on me like stink on ***. The tells me it will be $ 28.00. He explains about traffic (9AM), and I remind him he chose this business. I told him I will pay you $ 20.00. He replies no, and I grab my bag and say thanks. He grabbed my bag and said $ 20.00 O.K.

Health & happiness...