www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: COLONOSCOPY
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:20 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I have to get a colonoscopy here, anybody have any recommendations?

Post subject: Re: COLONOSCOPY
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:53 pm 

Hospital Cima in Escazu.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:18 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Bring your own KY!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:05 am 

No recommendation, but as a "frequent flyer" (family history) the prep is the worst.

Locally CIMA has always impressed me.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:18 pm 

Thanks guys, found a great Dr. Henry Rose at Cima, wish me luck, I had a colo-guard test + right before I came down here, and I have to have one. What I found out is in the USA they insist on knocking your ass out for the procedure and I've been avoiding it all the way to age 63, not for the check up itself but because I dread being knocked out. :shock:

I read that's a good old USA custom and in most of the world, including CR, they give you a mild sedative and maybe a pain pill or two and they want you awake to move around if needed to make it easier, it's actually safer and less likely to get a perforation. Medical people in the USA do it this way for theirs, but for some reason we normally get knocked out. :x

A positive means it could be a false report for any number of reasons, polyps, or the big C. If the later, well like Nixon said..."You won't have Netgems to kick around anymore..." :evil:

If you don't see me posting anymore, well, there's going to be a power struggle in hell coming up... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

In any event, if there's good news, I'll report and set up a celebration event maybe at Sportsman's, if not, I'll donate my body to science since it's so fkkkn amazing.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

When you drink the prep, make sure you're close to the bano. :lol: :P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:53 am 

Diego1 wrote:
When you drink the prep, make sure you're close to the bano. :lol: :P

Or stay in the bano.

Honestly, Netgems, if you've been avoiding a simple procedure like this you've been taking an extraordinary risk. The GI practice where I get one every other year (due to a family history) does 'conscious sedation' using Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol). Technically you are not knocked out (general anesthesia) but you seriously don't care about the scope. My GI doc talks to me and I answer / respond but remember nothing afterwards.

And, as a matter of fact, they will do one without 'conscious sedation'. Doc says he has people scared of being "knocked out" all the time.

The external tests (colo-guard) are extremely unreliable compared to a colonoscopy.

You are my age. You should have had a colonoscopy at 50. I hope you are fine but avoiding procedures like this isn't good.

I didn't like finger waves (prostate exams) but I gritted my teeth. And one from a particularly brusque doctor found my prostate cancer.

For you youngsters, the prep is the worse part (shitting your guts out). The procedure is nothing.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:24 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Netgems wrote:

Hospital biblical has a great group of doctors and is cheap. Go to bíblica web page. Very modern

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:21 pm 

Just was perusing old comments and I see I didn't finish this one.

Had the procedure, this Dr. is excellent and of course CIMA rivals any sanitary civilized hospital in the USA.

I got excellent personal attention from him and his associates, he was focused exclusively on me. We had a full hour and some consult before the procedure was set, and he asked me a whole litany of questions about all my health issues and all my meds, not just my colon issues (explanation to follow why this is important) :arrow:

As was his suspicion, my colon was fine and he did snip off some dopplegangers. he discovered I had several ulcers in my stomach and questioned me about my various meds, they more than likely were the culprits, aspirin and other meds with stomach agitating ingredients. :x

He and I discussed my meds needs and he changed what I was taking to equally good meds with less or no stomach annoying ingredients, and on top of being relieved there was no bladder cancer, now my irritable stomach became pain free and other internal issues stopped. :D

Back to why I was happy to be the focus of his attention that day.... :arrow:

Back in the states, a friend of mine went to get her colonoscopy, and the doc had like 5 or 6 people lined up in separate beds with hospital mobile curtains separating them in one big room, the US doc was doing one after the other and having jr docs under his supervision go at them as well! :shock: :shock: :shock:

She got a perforation and internal bleeding and other complications, was in pain and discomfort for quite some time, and after reading everything she signed, damn near impossible to sue or prove it was his fault. :evil:

Her USA doc was just a money making machine, and each patient was a quick paycheck. :lol:

She and I worked at the same company, had the same insurance, and lived close to each other, so this doc would have also been the one assigned to me.

I called to make my arrangement, and the assistant tried to rush me into the procedure without a consult (told me I could look up the prep methods on the internet) and was generally dismissive, rushing and rude. :x

Coupled with her tale of horror, that's the reason I didn't have it done last year when I could have had it done for free. :evil:

Something's terribly wrong with the medical service in the USA when you go to a third world country, get dramatically superior care at 1/4th the price, the doc discovers the USA docs were loading you up with medications with severe side effects you didn't need to tolerate, and everyone including him was attentive, reassuring and caring. :) :o :D

The USA so called superior medical care, you didn't even get to see the doc, you're rudely offered a procedure date, and if you ask any questions you're a "problem" to be lectured. :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:03 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Netgems wrote:

Had tit done twice at hospital bíblica and was very satisfied ( as much as you can be) with both quality of service and professionalism. Very reasonable price