www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:50 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Hey guys, can a local or anyone with intel tell me the consequences of breaking a lease while renting in Costa Rica. Do you just simply lose your deposit or should I be worried about anything else?

thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:40 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Kalozdi wrote:
Hey guys, can a local or anyone with intel tell me the consequences of breaking a lease while renting in Costa Rica. Do you just simply lose your deposit or should I be worried about anything else?

thanks!

you just lose your deposit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:24 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Seabreeze wrote:
Kalozdi wrote:

thanks!

And get a bad reference for future landlords, if applicable. No, they will not detain you at the airport on your way out!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:53 pm 

Seabreeze wrote:

But then again you lose your deposit anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:21 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:
Seabreeze wrote:

But then again you lose your deposit anyway.

+100

Hell when I was getting ready to move out of the first place I live here (after 5 years no less) I even filled in every little nail hole from hanging pictures on the walls and repainted every wall! When I moved in the mattress in the master bedroom was terrible (thin foam and wore out) I complained to the landlady who said she would look at it and if it needed replacing she would but with the same type mattress. I told her I was going to buy a really good mattress and what did she want me to do with the old mattress. She told me in writing to just throw it away which I did. I had also put in nice drapes on all the windows which I left there when I moved.

A week after moving out (with having given her a months notice) I called to inquire about the deposit: She gave me 3 reasons for NOT returning it: (1) The walls were very dirty and stained and had to be repainted!! This after 5 years of no maintenance at all by her, and I had just repainted the entire place. (2) Where was her mattress?? She denied telling me to discard it and said the paper where she had told me to discard it was a forgery!! (3) Said she had to spend over $100 having "HER" drapes cleaned!! Just as in the states landlords WILL find (makeup) reasons to never give back a deposit!!

As for as a "bad reference" is concerned--not really a problem in most cases here--they never seem to check out references nor past history!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:14 pm 

I sued a former landlord here in the States who tried to pull that shit on me. Got back my full deposit and he got "punched in the mouth" with legal fees on top of the deposit!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:52 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Zunbake3 wrote:
I sued a former landlord here in the States who tried to pull that shit on me. Got back my full deposit and he got "punched in the mouth" with legal fees on top of the deposit!

Can't do that here in the 3rd world. Thank goodness I have a gringo landlord.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:13 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Interesting, so the deposit doesn't act as the last month of rent on the lease? You literally pay your last month of rent and then they decide if you get your deposit back?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:25 pm 

Nope. The also just changed the laws more in favor of the landlord as well. If you get behind on your rent they can lock you out then you get like 4 days to pay what is due or the landlord gets to keep all your stuff if they want to, or they can have a sale and keep the money from your items. So if you want to try and use your deposit as the last months rent they can lock you out and keep your shit. This is 3rd party information as it did not come from an attorney but I have heard it from a few different sources.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:46 am 

Oh oh....you lost me there!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:50 am 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Greengo wrote:
as much as I hate to descend into this plebian whinefest :roll: .. its a thirdworld shithole..if you got the bucks anything is possible.. incessantly yowling dogs.. thieving conniving wives and hookers.. landlords..and your goofy gringoass can be crippled..maimed .sued ..banished ..raped ...disfigured. for a pittance..one can wander around with a thumb in ones ass ...belittling your country ..thinking that the literal army of cumdrunk tico dildoshit will find you "sophiscated" enough to give you the fudgepacking you've always secretly coveted and deserve... or you can manup and find a way bend these cocksuckers over so some mincing moron like jizzblow can have his way with them... :wink:

Damn! And he was doing so well--oh well, I guess we all backslide now and again (the "cumdrunk" bit). I don't mind the "mincing" (though I don't) but I'll spot you 40-50 points on an IQ test and make mincemeat out of you (the "moron" part). http://my-pickles-and-jams.com/2012/11/ ... t-recipes/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:54 am 

Greengo wrote:
as much as I hate to descend into this plebian whinefest :roll: .. its a thirdworld shithole..if you got the bucks anything is possible.. incessantly yowling dogs.. thieving conniving wives and hookers.. landlords..and your goofy gringoass can be crippled..maimed .sued ..banished ..raped ...disfigured. for a pittance..one can wander around with a thumb in ones ass ...belittling your country ..thinking that the literal army of cumdrunk tico dildoshit will find you "sophiscated" enough to give you the fudgepacking you've always secretly coveted and deserve... or you can manup and find a way bend these cocksuckers over so some mincing moron like jizzblow can have his way with them... :wink:

WOW!! Another "I HATE the place I choose to live" commentary from the troll!!!!! Actually except for his use of the word "Tico", in this post by the "troll" he could be talking about the USA and a lot of other places :idea: :roll: :? :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:44 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Ilv4play wrote:
Nope. The also just changed the laws more in favor of the landlord as well. If you get behind on your rent they can lock you out then you get like 4 days to pay what is due or the landlord gets to keep all your stuff if they want to, or they can have a sale and keep the money from your items. So if you want to try and use your deposit as the last months rent they can lock you out and keep your shit. This is 3rd party information as it did not come from an attorney but I have heard it from a few different sources.

You just lose your security deposit. They need a court order to lock you out and that is when the apartment is abandoned. Actually more of a problem for the landlord