www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:03 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Hey folks, I'm considering moving to the Tamarindo area. I looking for some guidance/recommendations regarding a good place/area to rent, or possibly a good hotel/hostel to stay at while looking for a place to rent. Also, input regarding purchasing and/or renting a motorcycle would be beneficial as well. Of course any information about "hobbying" recommendations in the area is always welcome. I'm retired with a good pension so my financial situation is stable. I only need a furnished studio, or one-bedroom. Input about renting "in-town" as opposed to renting in a more quiet, rural area, close to town, would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:38 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I lived in Tamarindo for 6 months last year. It is a renters market. Shop around and lowball.

There is some selection of girls at the bars, mostly worn local pros and the occasional visiting working girl. You can also find a brothel in Santa Rosa of middling quality. Dont pay more than $40 there.

Lots of great restaurants and beaches in and around Tamarindo.

Any specific Qs just ask.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:29 am 
IS11 wrote:
Hey folks, I'm considering moving to the Tamarindo area. I looking for some guidance/recommendations regarding a good place/area to rent, or possibly a good hotel/hostel to stay at while looking for a place to rent. Also, input regarding purchasing and/or renting a motorcycle would be beneficial as well. Of course any information about "hobbying" recommendations in the area is always welcome. I'm retired with a good pension so my financial situation is stable. I only need a furnished studio, or one-bedroom. Input about renting "in-town" as opposed to renting in a more quiet, rural area, close to town, would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I will add many of the same sentiments as Fadeintoyou as mentioned. Finding a condo is not that difficult. Start with something temporary for the first two weeks and in spending time in town talking to others at bars you will easily find someone who will point you in the right direction.

Living in Costa Rica ESPECIALLY THE BEACH AREAS is not as many think. Electricity is expensive and super markets are about 3 times the cost of what you will pay in the U.S.

It took me almost 5 years to not spend over $200 per trip (often 2 to 3 times per week at that price) each and every time I went to a super market here in Playas del Coco.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:30 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Garden Girls, the brothel in Santa Rosa was busted recently for sex trafficking. Stopped by there last March and left as fast as I could. Very scary place. Glad that the taxi driver was waiting for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:57 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

SlimBNimble wrote:
Garden Girls, the brothel in Santa Rosa was busted recently for sex trafficking. Stopped by there last March and left as fast as I could. Very scary place. Glad that the taxi driver was waiting for me.

I visited 3 times between January and July of 2012 and never had the slightest trouble. The place isn't dangerous. I never heard about any bust but it doesn't surprise me since all the girls are 30-day Nica imports. Probably just forgot to slip a bribe somewhere that month.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:41 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

The actual name of the bar/mp in Santa Rosa is "Golden Girls" and is open again for business. Best to go after 6pm as the line up is slim before that time. This place if very safe and I never have had any problems, actually the staff is very nice.

The thing to remember this place is YMMV as far as the girls go. You will find a lot of 3's and 4's with one or two (if your lucky) 8's mixed in.

I can not forget......

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:43 pm 

I surely got a different impression on my visit. There were cabs in Tamarindo that had roof top ads for "Garden Girls". I took a ride to check it out. There was a guard there who opened the gate to let us in. Upon entering the bar I found one other man sitting there with his head in his beer glass at the end of the bar and 3 "ladies" who were 3's or maybe 4's (what's the difference?). I received a chit in exchange for my 3 or four dollar entrance fee when I arrived and it was good for a drink. I got it, checked out the talent and was quoted a price that seemed exorbitant for what was offered. I found the women comparable to the burned out speed freak street walkers available in my town. As I said previously I was spooked by the place and couldn't get out fast enough.

Good to hear it is not as bad as I found it. Maybe I was there on an off night or maybe the good talent was busy... I don't know, but I don't think I would go back there. I'd love to hear some reports that would make me change my mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

By the way you described the place that is Golden girls. The signs here are all messed up, so I am sure you did see "Garden Girls".

It also does not surprise me the picking were thin when you were there. It is a very hit and miss place. For me it is the hunt and about half the time or more I leave without pulling the trigger. You really have to have the time to work this kind of place, but you can find some diamonds in the ruff if you put in the time. I stay away from the pro’s (easy to tell after talking to them) and zero in on the locals looking to make a little extra. If you look hard enough you will find them and if they are comfortable with you they will give you that real GFE experience I love so much. In addition it is a good place to get phone numbers for later off site meets.

I can see where it can be a little spooky for someone visiting and never been in a place like this before. But this is the kind of place I like. Even in the States I use to go to bars were you would keep your back to the wall when entering and find a chair with no one behind you. But like I said before you will have no problems at Golden Girls at all, so no worries.

The price for tourist is higher then locals or if you live there and they know you. The local price is 15000 Colones ($30), not sure what they are charging for tourist or what they hit you up for? I can say that the only thing that has changed since it reopened is they are watching the clock more now, before the time limit was between you and the girl.

I can not forget......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:01 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Hobbie, your posts and local knowledge seem right on and thanks for the info.

This thread reinforces the fact that if its girls you want, go to San Jose or maybe Jaco. Far too many other areas that have an MP or bar with girls, are truly hit and miss, or have a line up you would likely not be interested in - your comments apply to Quepos in many ways, and they have an active gringo population, fishing, good restaurants (if a tad pricey) and proximity to one of the nicest beaches in CR, Manuel Antonio - but girls......not so much

It also should put to rest the idea some have (especcially newbi's and those making their first trip) that Costa Rica is one giant whorehouse :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:14 pm 

No not CR the one giant whorehouse is Pattaya City , Thailand

Cheers, Bobby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:34 pm 

Hope to venture there one day........yummy!

Plus, the diving in Thailand (off Thailand, to be precise) is reported to be great - some day, some day......

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:55 pm 

It's the ride home that's a killer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:59 pm 

from Dallas area took me 30hrs and change to register at my guest house, return about 25 hrs slept most of the way back I was wiped out .

Bobby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:05 pm 

Agreed - brutal - you can't "hop over" for a weekend - you really need (or at my age I really need :lol: :oops: :lol: ) at least 2 weeks - still, I'd like to go

Especially since CR is a 2.25H ride w/ no change of planes from S FL (yes I know the 2 places are very different; just that its so convenient)